PDA

View Full Version : SSQV

DudeMan
01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm just wondering if its working correctly or not..

When I first installed it the car was mostly stock, I was never able to build boost or set it off while not moving, now its pretty easy. Just rev up to 4 or 5 grand, dump the throttle and it screams.

I assumed this was normal, having installed a 3" downpipe and a straight intake, but one of the tech's at my shop disagrees.

He immediately tried to find the adjustment screw and I explained to him there is none, it uses the engines vacuum to seal.

The other thing I've noticed is it flutters if I let off the throttle at higher gears. Say I'm cruising in 5th, put the throttle down/let some boost build, then when I let off it starts fluttering. This also causes the engine to buck..

Anyone else experience this?

I'm starting to think the BOV isn't sealing properly, should I try another vaccum source? It's connected directly to the intake manifold as I had set it up before without issue.. A quick Google search brings up quite a bit, some guys are swapping the springs out with good results.

Maybe I'll make some videos.

SMILEYOSO
01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
What bov do you have. I have an hks ssqv on mine directly to the intake manifold and have never had a problem with it.

DudeMan
01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
HKS SSQV rev II.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P6210058.jpg

joe's gt
01-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Common problem with venting to atmosphere. Not aware of all the work arounds for venting to the atmosphere, as mine has always worked perfectly vented, but generally recirculating it back into the intake after the afm solves the problem. For some venting works, others it doesn't. Also, I may have a rev1 which may work better, idk. Its caused by the BOV releasing already metered air into the atmosphere resulting in an overly rich condition which causes the problems you are experiencing. For a correctly functioning BOV, the engine should run momentarily rich between shifts and should essentially have no noticeable effect on performance. I am with you in guessing that the SSQV is not sealing properly. I am able to build boost and let off the throttle with a vented BOV without bucking, so idk, or maybe I just haven't done it enough to notice there was a problem. I'll test it out tomorrow on my commute and let you know the results.

DudeMan
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah I've read of the issues people have had trying to vent to atmosphere, expected to run into a few of these problems when I first installed it a couple years ago, but I don't think its the issue.

In most of those cases it was the car responding poorly to the bov, I think my problem is the bov itself.

I suspect it simply isn't sealing properly either because the vacuum line I used is too small or the spring inside isn't strong enough.

This weekend I'll have some time to play around with it.

Hookecho
01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
When I first installed my ssqv I t'd into a vac line somewhere. It didn't provide enough vacuum to seal the valve so I had to run a dedicated vac hose for it.

DudeMan
01-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah I ran mine directly to the intake manifold as I did before.. but I think the hose I used is too small in diameter.

Hopefully a simple fix.

All in all this is like the only issue my car has. I can't believe how well its running otherwise.

joe's gt
01-13-2012, 04:51 AM
Just FYI, boosted and let off the throttle in all gears and there was no bucking and a smooth actuation of the BOV.

DudeMan
01-13-2012, 03:12 PM
I played around with the vacuum line last night and it seemed to help a bit, less flutter but it still vents while shifting at low RPM.

Does yours vent very lightly while shifting normally?

Hookecho
01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Mine does. Fluttering is normal for the ssqv. Mine does it under low boost shifts.

joe's gt
01-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Mine does. Fluttering is normal for the ssqv. Mine does it under low boost shifts.

Mine too, and doesn't cause bucking. The only bucking I ever get is cold starts every once and a while and then it goes away.

gen5dream
02-02-2012, 03:07 AM
i'm going to mount mine on my inter cooler line after the front mount. will i have any issues?