PDA

View Full Version : EGR Operatoin on 3sgte?

joe's gt
01-07-2012, 08:19 AM
So the BGB does a remarkably great job providing an incredibly confusing explanation on the operation of the EGR. I want to finally put EGR on my JDM 3sgte here in Cali. I already have a USDM head installed, so I plan on getting the IM, VSV, EGR Valve, and vacuum modulator.

Please correct me if I am wrong on the EGR operation. The vsv essentially just opens airflow to the modulator once engine reaches normal temp. Then the modulator controls the EGR valve from there. Basically at idle and low rpms, the throttle is above the E port and the modulator is bleeding off air to the atmosphere so there is no vacuum to operate the EGR valve. At about 2500rpm or around there the throttle goes below the EGR E port, vacuum is applied to the EGR Valve, and exhaust gas is recirculated, with recirculation increasing relative to vacuum pressure and exhaust pressure.

Assuming this, my plan is to just run a switch to the vsv for smog, effectively controlling the modulator. Turn it on, allowing the modulator to function for smog, and turn it off, not allowing air to reach the modulator, and therefore not allowing the EGR valve to function for normal driving. Am i missing something?

CollapsedNut
01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I would assume you could replace the vsv with an electricly controlled switch. I dont see it causing any problems. Im not sure what you would use tho, cause you cant really tap into the vsv, you would need to replace it with some other sort of vacuume switch that you could control with a toggle switch. Assuming you just wanna hook it up for inspection then disable it, Im sure you can simply unplug one of the vac hoses, or plug one, Im not sure exactly how the 3sgte egr system is so I cant say which one.

joe's gt
01-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't replace the vsv, just essentially make the vsv powered through a switch instead of the ecu. Just turn the vsv on and allow air to pass for smog, and turn it off to block air to the vacuum modulator for normal driving. I believe the vsv just receives a simple on/off signal from the ecu based on engine temp and I would essentially just simulate this on/off buy disconnecting the vsv from the ecu and connecting it to a manual switch that is hooked up to a +12v (or whatever voltage the vsv receives to open). Just looking for confirmation if my logic is sound or if I am missing something.

sloceli
01-07-2012, 11:16 PM
I hate these kind of posts but I have the complete egr system off my 165 that I can sell you.l