PDA

View Full Version : Started installing the Goodridge stainless brake lines today and

Nitro_Alltrac
01-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Right off the bat the damn nut on the first hard line started rounding. I didn't put a lot of pressure on it when it started so it didn't mess it up at that point. I went and got some flare wrenches that fit and the damn thing still boogered up. I guess I'm going to have to get some new hard lines. Didn't try the other three after that. That was enough of a pisser.:banghead:

CollapsedNut
01-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Laaaaaaaaaame

grimmythereaper
01-03-2012, 03:41 AM
that sux

4thgenceli
01-03-2012, 04:17 AM
I had that issue too. I was able to get a set of flare wrenches on it without issues. You can always try to reduce the size of the nut to a 9mm..... Or just get a new end

Sent from my iPhail

Nitro_Alltrac
01-03-2012, 04:38 AM
I got the flare wrench on it but when I tried turning it, the damn thing started rounding off in the wrench. I'm going to end up replacing the end. This is pretty much how the whole holiday season has gone this year. Any way, I'm going to try and work on it some more this week after work. Just love when a 2 or 3 hour job goes into days.

4thgenceli
01-03-2012, 04:47 AM
Welcome to my world of car repairs lol

Sent from my iPhail

Hipster Lawrence
01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Cheap flare nut wrenches suck. Snap on flank drive plus open end wrenches work better than craftsman line wrenches

You should be able to clamp a pair of vice grips around the nut and bump them to break the line loose. Then you can either use the vice grips to tighten them or cut the line off and reflare it. It's pretty easy to do.

Mr. Babb
01-04-2012, 02:28 AM
I 2nd the vice grips

KoreanJoey
01-04-2012, 06:20 AM
I 2nd the not getting cheap line wrenches...

4thgenceli
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Cheap flare nut wrenches suck. Snap on flank drive plus open end wrenches work better than craftsman line wrenches

Hate to disagree, but I have a set of Craftsman and Pittsburgh (harbor freight) line wrenches. I have no complaints with either set's quality.

METDeath
01-05-2012, 04:06 AM
I had an easy enough time with my GearWrench line wrenches... but then again, my car had less than 90k on it when I did the brake upgrade...

The Captain
01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Might I suggest soaking the other fittings with a liquid wrench type product weeks before you attempt this again? It worked great on the old Princess and vert.

donteatbugs
01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
I forth on not using cheap line wrenches. I have some gm goodwrench ones that suck. I need a better set but I dont wanna pay for them.

4thgenceli
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
$9.99 at harbor freight. 8mm and up.

Sent from my iPhail

Nitro_Alltrac
01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
I got them all changed out yesterday. I used the vise grips on the one I was as having problems with. Got it broken loose and then was able to take it off it a wrench. It wasn't completely fubared. I also sprayed them down with PB Blaster. The other three came loose fine with the flare wrench. I had bought the Pittsburgh wrenches at Harbor Freight. They worked on fine. On the non-screwed up nuts I tapped them down and everything worked great from there.

I could tell a difference after I got them on and the systemed bleeded. I've got a lot more pedal and the car stops very firmly now. I didn't think the brakes were bad before they feel really good now.

Hookecho
01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm going to upgrade to ss lines before the Dragon Run. I need to install that larger brake master cylinder I got from Ben too.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
What kind of larger master cylinder did you get Bruce?

I think you'll see a difference in the brake lines.

The Captain
01-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Prolly the larger unit from an ABS unit...

METDeath
01-09-2012, 01:50 AM
All-trac one is larger than stock ST/GT/GTS

Nitro_Alltrac
01-09-2012, 05:18 AM
That's what I was wondering. I thought that maybe Ben had cooked up something strange and passed it on to Bruce.

Hookecho
01-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah, it's the abs one.

KoreanJoey
01-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Gearwrench makes pretty decent stuff for a pretty good deal.

jdm_celica_gts
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
If my brake system was not bleed out properly before I bought the car, would my brakes not function properly. I ask cause my brakes feel the same when I'm driving as it does when my car is turned off, hard to push and only goes half way down.

And where did you get your brakelines, I was wanting to upgrade?

Nitro_Alltrac
01-17-2012, 12:21 AM
My lines came from Tire Rack. They keep them and have been one of the few places where it was easy to find the ones for the 185.

As for your brakes, it they haven't been bled, it could affect the performance. I've got more pedal than what you're saying but it can vary from car to car and with how many miles are on your pads. The part that I'm a little concerned about is that they feel the same whether the engine is on or off. The pedal should be easier to press with the engine running. The power brake system works on vacuum and with the engine running, it should be working. For that, make sure the vacuum line is connected to the engine and the brake booster and that you have vacuum on the port where the line is hooked to the engine. If that is good and the the line isn't collapsing, you may have a bad brake booster.

KoreanJoey
01-17-2012, 08:52 AM
If my brake system was not bleed out properly before I bought the car, would my brakes not function properly. I ask cause my brakes feel the same when I'm driving as it does when my car is turned off, hard to push and only goes half way down.

And where did you get your brakelines, I was wanting to upgrade?

Sounds like your booster is toast. Make sure the vacuum line to your booster isn't unplugged or damaged.