PDA

View Full Version : A little update from my 6th gen in Sweden

vigdisvz
01-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Hello all

I haven't posted since the introductory post but I finally took my drivers license about a month ago (about 15 years too late)! Time to share my first car adventure.

It's really been going up and down with my 1994 GTi 2.0 the last few weeks but now I'm finally starting to get confidence in her.

It all started with my getting my license and turning the car into my closest workshop (also recommended by my driving teacher). It turns out the workshop is very good with new cars and routine maintenance. Not with Toyotas from the 90ies. They fixed parts of the front suspension/link arms very good (not sure on the exact term in english) but when they started looking at the ignition it went downwards.

When I picked her up the ignition was so bad it stalled in every corner and redlight. And they claimed they couldn't do anything more without tearing the engine apart. They even forgot to attach something (not sure yet again as im just learning all this) that made even more unburnt gas run through the non firing cylinder. Needless to say, I'm not going back there again.

Luckily I have a friend of a friend who used to be a car mechanic/engine engineer who is on disability pension. I turns out he has owned 6 different Celicas and a Supra over the years and he gladly threw himself at my engine with a pair of new ignition cables.

Now she runs very good, but he's not satisfied yet, this january we're breaking the ignition system aparta again to fit new parts from a different brand he relies more on. This time I'll be watching over this back to start picking up more skills myself.

The day after he gave her a clean bill of health I took her on a roadtrip with my GF and two dogs to Gothenburg (500km one way) and back without any major issues.

The temp gauge started jumping a bit when I was almost at my destination, but my moms BF who's also a mechanic took me over to his workshop on christmas eve to give her some more coolant. We also lifted her up and made another routine maintenance check. He and my mom also gave me a fresh tank of gas for the return trip the following day :) Merry christmas indeed.

The only minor issues, apart from reinforcing the ignition, is that the ABS lamp comes on at times, but when we looked under the car we noticed the wiring protection at the sensors was in a bad shape thats no immediate worry, and the speedometer has given out once twice only to come back soon after (like once every two months). I'll most likely have my retired engineer friend help me a a look at it while we're working on the ignition.

Finally I feel I've found a mechanic I can rely on and finally some confidence in my first car and I hope to spend many hours behind the wheel.

Happy new year from Sweden

Carl

The Captain
01-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Hello and pics!!

METDeath
01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Welcome, and your English is better than some native speakers of the tongue. Also, since Swedish and English are both Germanic in origin, you can always go to Google Translate and just put in the word you're curious about and you will most likely get the correct English word.

Oh, and every where you had a question about your word usage, you used mostly correct words.

Hookecho
01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm glad you worked the kinks outs and got to drive it.