PDA

View Full Version : Who drives their car in the winter? (BC)

bleST
12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Well it's come down to needing to drive mine...coming out of the shop on friday after a broken piston put a damper on all the fun. I'll post a pic when I have a chance.

Any BC interior meets happen in the winter months?

pintoBC_3sgte
12-30-2011, 04:33 AM
i used to drive mine year round when i lived in Vancouver, then i moved to kelowna and get a truck for dd'ing :P

bleST
12-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah I've got a big diesel 4wd truck, but the wife needs a vehicle too. My Corolla wagon is on its last legs so this is filling the void for the time being.

sodap0p
12-30-2011, 05:42 PM
I just bought a non-running rc for my dd. I had to sell my running dd, so ive just started driving my 205 this winter. Insurance is killing me now too.

ChrisD
12-30-2011, 06:46 PM
GT4's are amazing winter vehicles. I've driven birth of mine through Winters with winter tires.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

bleST
12-30-2011, 09:30 PM
My AE95 has been great in the snow, except for the lack of power from the bagged 4a-fe. Never driven the Celica in the snow so it'll be a learning experience.

sodap0p
12-31-2011, 12:06 AM
GT4's are amazing winter vehicles. I've driven birth of mine through Winters with winter tires.

yes they are amazing :)

pintoBC_3sgte
12-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I just bought a non-running rc for my dd. I had to sell my running dd, so ive just started driving my 205 this winter. Insurance is killing me now too.

RC for a dd... Jealous. :p saw pictures of it on Ian's Facebook , looks really good, but didn't know it wasn't running. Major issues with it?

sodap0p
12-31-2011, 07:19 PM
I had to sell my super reliable Corolla dd to help pay for the RC( and my wife wont let me have four cars :( ). I now only have three cars to choose from for my dd. The MR2 might be good, but I can't help driving it like I just robbed a bank. The WRC is my baby, she is in mint condition, I hate driving her in the winter. I have no choice but to use the RC to take on that role.

The cylinder head warped at 106600 due to overheating the engine. The previous owner took it to a mechanic and didn't want to pay to fix it, or couldn't afford it. It looks like they just slapped the engine back together which would explain why compression is 35, 32, etc... It looks like the plan is to replace it with a good motor from Sean's RC as his RC is getting a brand new rebuilt 3rd gen. It's sort of sad, because the workorder I found in the car says it had a valve job only three months prior, new clutch too. I think the kid cared about the car, but didn't know how to.

ChrisD
12-31-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm glad it's in good hands now!

bleST
12-31-2011, 08:50 PM
My engine (from an RC) just ate a piston so I had to put the old engine back in...I was wondering why the compression was only 70psi in #4. I also have a '91 GTfour that's donating its drivetrain to a Corolla wagon but that's not til the weather is nicer

sodap0p
01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
... I also have a '91 GTfour that's donating its drivetrain to a Corolla wagon but that's not til the weather is nicer

sounds like fun, I hope you take pictures :)

bleST
01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
I will for sure, although there may be a household move early this year which would severely put a damper on project progress. Pics will be in taken 'cause I hate having to explain stuff without them.

Got a ball joint to change on the Celica, out in the icky weather...blah. Hooray for wobbly wheels.

WALKER
01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
I enjoy my ST185 year round as my daily driver and my ST205 is my garage queen that has never had snow touch her.

bleST
01-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Got some pics of some piston damage. Original long-block assembly is back in the bay, still running all the other RC peripherals though.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?55150-Piston-carnage-inside! (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?55150-Piston-carnage-inside%21)

sodap0p
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Thats insane, the poor piston

Tara
01-10-2012, 06:09 PM
My GT4 lives in a garage for the cold months... though I did bust it out for a sweet ice driving event last year, and have every plan to do the same again this year.
It's been super nice here so I drove it yesterday. Man I love that car. Now, however, the snow's back, so my car's hiding again.

The poor thing has a terrible oil leak that was supposedly "fixed" before I even bought the car... so it's good that I've got some down time to staunch it. I might throw a "please help Tara make her car stop peeing oil" party... with beer and cookies and anything else I could possibly think of to keep people happy.

bleST
01-17-2012, 05:55 AM
^Sounds like a cam seal has popped out or something.

After driving the All-trac in the snow, I must say it's pretty impressive. A little understeer going into turns but once the back end kicks out it's fine.