PDA

View Full Version : Little Secrets for Rear Diff Cushion Repair

Quakefire
12-23-2011, 05:18 AM
OK so I thought I would add a few little experiences

Bolt Sizes: 12mm, 17mm (socket and wrench) and 19mm

Don't even think of trying this on jack stands in the middle of winter, it sucks.

Flat side goes up, remember this, and see above point.

Its good practice to mark the front bolts on the diff as there is room for adjustment there, I found that if I supported the diff with a floor jack, and bolted it to the cushion, it centered the diff pretty much perfect. I left the 4 bolts on the cushion loose, to assist with lining everything up.

Lots of penetrating oil and a good breaker bar will be a good friend.

If anyone has any other questions, let them fly

lalojamesliz
12-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Thank you, i think my rear diff mount is going bad because i hear a clunk sound often

Quakefire
12-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Remove cross member first, then the two bolts from the cushion to the diff, and then the four bolts holding the diff to the rear subframe. This lets the diff pivot forward and lastly the four holding the cushion to the subframe.

I cut out all the old material, depending on the condition you might be able to just fill around the rubber parts. Because the cushion centers the diff, and alignment is critical, if you cut out the old material I made a template with a piece of cardboard. I used the six bolts to hold everything to the cardboard while the poly dried