PDA

View Full Version : Under steer

Swsupermoto
12-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Fitting a 3gse engine into my st185. At the minute I can deal with the understeer with power oversteer but with the drop in power that's not going to be as easy. So what's the best way to sort it.

T-spoon
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
adjustments to swaybars?

Luni
12-15-2011, 10:43 PM
So, youre downgrading to a 3SGE? You got a lot of stuff to worry about IMO.

But I just read your other thread. So its going to be an NA rally car? Mostly driven on the dirt? One of the general rules of thumb is, soften up the front, stiffen up the rear, and you will induce oversteer.

KoreanJoey
12-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Disconnect the front bar.

But know the car will respond very, very slowly to steering inputs.

Swsupermoto
12-16-2011, 07:45 AM
It will be on Tarmac most of the time. I used a gravel spec as they use small off road sections that are very rough.

Luni
12-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Same rule applies. Soften up the front, stiffen up the rear and youll induce oversteer. What are you allowed to do to your suspension? Anything you want?

Swsupermoto
12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Yes can do what I want, was thinking of fitting super strut suspension as I think that is there to stop under steer

KoreanJoey
12-19-2011, 03:04 PM
No, not really... and to be honest the super strut suspension is not designed for the abuse of rally (Hence why the TTE WRC ST205 Celica was converted to McPherson struts).

Get a DMS setup.
http://www.dmshocks.com/

mrdb
03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
thread revival. :)

Stiffen rear basically reduces traction in the rear ( BAD )

so

You need more caster upfront GT4's respond well to this as it adds camber in turn and maintains contact area of tyre under braking.

Adjust camber at front to optimum. ( testing with photo footage and tyre temps the only way to dial it in )

Finally reduce bump steer by moving track rod to bottom of hub instead of top ( if car lowered that is )

thats the fairly easy stuff. After that its R&D into bottom arms and bottom ball joint for hub to maintain / correct angles.

KoreanJoey
03-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Reducing traction in the back is not always bad...

Especially with AWD.

mrdb
03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
It is on a tarmac car especially when the problem is front end grip. Your reducing overall grip further. Better to increase front end grip the best you can then balance it with setings at rear.

Sent from my mind using tapatalk.