PDA

View Full Version : what happens if my voltage gets to low

lalojamesliz
12-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Like the title says,
Now that i have some actual amps and got rid of the cheap walmart amp my all-trac came with, i doubt my alternator can handle the load. I have a xtant 604x (mids & highs) and a fosgate t400-2 (12 kappa perfect sub) and the xtant says 600 rms and my fosgate's birth sheet says 511rms. Can i cause any damage to my all-trac's electrical system since i have a 70 amp alternator? I did the big 3 upgrade and i have a red top optima relocated to the rear. I want to install a better alternator but i need to find one. Btw i do crank up the volume alot :-)

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-09-2011, 02:07 PM
You can run into a few problems with a low alternator.

Dim headlights, battery not charging, dim interior lights, etc.

The big problem you will have is that your battery will be dead in a short while. I don't mean, needs charged, I mean, won't charge. When you don't have enough amps to charge the battery, and your amplifier is running, it will cycle the battery which, unless you have a deep cycle (Yellow Top / marine battery) it will kill it. My recommendation, so you don't get stranded, is to get a higher output alternator to handle the stress on your electrical system. I don't know how a Red Top will hold up, but Optima recommends using the Yellow Top.

My Duralast battery, which was only 6 months old, was killed about 3 weeks after I installed my new head unit and amplifier. 40 amp amplifier was all it needed to be too much to handle lights, charging, and sound. Again, I don't know how long the Red Top will hold up, should be much better then a Duralast, but it isn't rated for the big cycle changes.

I installed a high output that does about 130 amps. I boosted it's output (and shortened it's life a little) by another 10 amps using an overdrive pulley. 140 amps handles my two amplifiers (90 amp max) with enough juice left to charge my battery, power an accessory through my cigarette lighter (2.5amps) run my headlights and handle my Hella ralleye lights.

Check out eBay for a reman, high output alternator. There are a few reputable companies on there with warranties and good feedback for a better alternator then the one you have now.

Luni
12-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Yes, you can damage your alternator. The more you make it work, the quicker it will burn out.

lalojamesliz
12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I was looking at the 160 amp alternator on ebay from the seller ace alternators. I would throw on my smaller pulley and hope for the best lol. I don't see another high output one and don't know what companies to look at. Ill try Google and see what i find

lalojamesliz
12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Yes, you can damage your alternator. The more you make it work, the quicker it will burn out.

ha ha ha i guess we were both typing at the same time. That is why i like warranty on my items my friend ;-)

lalojamesliz
12-10-2011, 07:15 AM
I found some but i don't want to spend almost $300 on that.... :-( damn

Eric Barrera
12-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Mechman alternators?