PDA

View Full Version : tail lights

jdm_celica_gts
12-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Will tail lights from my 92 gts fit on my 90 all trac... they look like there slightly different but wanted to make sure

METDeath
12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
They fit, but the method of attachment is backwards, once you take them off, you will see. Basically, one has clips, and attaches to bars on the car. The other has bars, and attaches to clips on the car. They can easily be changed around for fitment.

jdm_celica_gts
12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Alright cool. What is the best method for trying to get rid of scratches on the lights and making them really shiny again

METDeath
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Could try a headlight polisher, that's all I can think of.

jdm_celica_gts
12-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Next time I'm off ill probably give it a try and let everyone know how it worked

lamont
12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
You can also use progressively finer sand paper until you have a smooth surface that is free of scratches and looks really good when wet. While it's dry it will look very hazy. The next step is to apply several coats of clear to the tails. If done properly the will look brand new and will last for years.

jdm_celica_gts
12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
we tried that with my friends headlights and it didnt come out to great... either he cant clear coat or it just looked bad cause it was on a camaro haha

Galcobar
12-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Getting out scratches is simply a matter of levelling the material around the scratch to the depth of the scratch. Same technique applies to paint or plastic -- an abrasive polish. A headlight restoration kit will do the job, but I've had good results with Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 -- it's meant for paint but is aggressive enough to handle the plastic, while finishing out to a shine.

zen
12-10-2011, 10:12 AM
i would sand the lights with 1500 to 2000 grit sand paper to level the lights, then use rubbing compound or plastic polisher over them. the key to a permanent shine is heat so a powered polisher should work fine. be careful with hitting the edges of the light and keep the polisher moving or it can burn through. other method would be to sand with 800 grit and clear coat them. this means a good expensive clear coat and not a clear that could be bought from walmart or autozone.