PDA

View Full Version : Gearing question

bleST
11-28-2011, 12:13 AM
First off, yes I did search but didn't find anything definitive.

Question about the ST185 gearing. What gearing (differential) came in these cars, is it all the same or were there a few options? The guy I got mine from said that the RC/Carlos Sainz had taller (4.30-ish) gears versus the regular cars which had 4.8? My car has the entire running gear from a wrecked CS model swapped into it and it would be really nice to know what the differences are. Thanks.

Edit: I also would like to know if the heads and valvetrain are the same; I need to fix a burned valve and I have the original engine I can use for parts if they are the same. Thanks again.

cms-gt4
11-28-2011, 04:38 AM
http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/428ratio.htm

bleST
11-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Excellent, thanks for the link.:bigthumbu

BlueDragon
12-03-2011, 04:38 PM
thanks cms i can't wait to put a US tranny on this and get some mpg back! Plus having first gear again after 2 years will be sweet. lol

bleST
12-04-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm certain mine has 3.93's, I'm sure the car would hit 200km easily in fourth with the gearing it's got.

l0ch0w
12-04-2011, 12:36 AM
thanks cms i can't wait to put a US tranny on this and get some mpg back! Plus having first gear again after 2 years will be sweet. lol

The E151 transmission have shorter ratio 1st and 2nd gears to help even out the fact that the final drive is taller. Overall, the 1st and 2nd gear top speeds are about the same... The rally grpA boxes had much shorter gear ratios and are the holy grail of autox, and rally and its these ones that have much lower redline speeds. The downside is that they fall short for drag application, because you are required to shift more often, and time spent on boost is much shorter.

Cruising MPG should be better on the E151F over the E150F because RPMS will be lower in 5th gear. All in all, you need to pick the transmission best suited for your application, this will help you to optimize your setup.

alltracman78
12-24-2011, 12:12 AM
The E151 transmission have shorter ratio 1st and 2nd gears to help even out the fact that the final drive is taller. Overall, the 1st and 2nd gear top speeds are about the same... The rally grpA boxes had much shorter gear ratios and are the holy grail of autox, and rally and its these ones that have much lower redline speeds. The downside is that they fall short for drag application, because you are required to shift more often, and time spent on boost is much shorter.

Cruising MPG should be better on the E151F over the E150F because RPMS will be lower in 5th gear. All in all, you need to pick the transmission best suited for your application, this will help you to optimize your setup.

The E151F has more than 1 version, not all had the 3.93 final and shorter 1/2 gearing. Only the homologation cars got that version. The regular E151F [came in 92/93 ST185s] came with the same gearing as the E150F. I'm not sure if the narrowbody ST185s [had the close ratio gearing] had a E150F or an E151F, and I don't think they were Grp A [I'm not positive, but I believe only the Aus homologation version was the Grp A].

I'm also not sure what the gearing in the St205 version is [I believe this is also an E151F], I've read both that it's the same as the regular ST85 trans and that it's the same as the homologation version. I've been too lazy to tear apart the 2 I have. Some day.....

The homologation trans are great on acceleration but IMO they're a little more of a pain when driving because the gearing puts the RPMs a little low with our speed limits [if you're trying to keep the RPMs down and just cruise], if you need power you have to downshift instead of just punching it.
Not a huge problem, I'm debating whether to stick an RC or an ST205 trans in my 93, but I wanted to put it out there.

jdm_celica_gts
12-25-2011, 05:24 PM
What trans came in a usdm 90 st185?