PDA

View Full Version : Gen III 3sgte powering 6th gen convertible

match220
11-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Hey guys,
I know I'm new, I've been on the other forums a lot, my friend told me about celicatech, and I figured I'd widen my forum base by joining this one too. Feel free to post questions about my build. I'm kindof posting this in a hurry because it's thanksgiving and I can't spend much time on here. I've post a few pictures, I have been doing more videos than pictures (signature). But this is all of the pictures I could find.

Engine basics.. JDM 96 3sgte block, w/ JN pistons and Eagle rods, .20 overbore. New stock head gasket, (and full engine rebuild). JDM 98 Head, 4inch thick 30 inch wide intercooler, stock CT20B turbo, blitz downpipe, 2.5 inch exhaust piping from the DP back to the Borla muffler, two 2.5 inch reducers to accommodate the 3 inch Magnaflow high-flow catalytic (got a 3 inch one for ultra high flow cat...hahahahahahaaa). Walbro 255lph fuel pump. Custom engine wire harness, distributor is only being used for the timing signal, Audi 4 channel igniter w/ audi individual coil-over-plugs, and iridium IK24 plugs. All powered by an Autronic SM4.

This picture shows my I/C, I bought everything expecting to buy a big turbo, and ran out of money, now I'm finishing it with stock turbo parts until I get more money :(. I had to get a new hood for my eclipse, and I had it sitting on my celica for a bit to keep it safe.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/match220/DSC02710.jpg

The head, it's actually a NA head with turbo springs, cams, and new guides.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/match220/DSC02483.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/match220/DSC02476.jpg

Car before making the custom bracket to hold the I/C. I/C is actually for an s14/s15 hybrid.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/match220/DSC02253.jpg

I/C fitted after shaving away a lot of plastic on the inside of the bumper and removing the styrofoam pad.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/match220/DSC02255.jpg

Here is the video of me talking about everything in my engine, kinda boring unless you like hearing this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttOghPoCdws

JDM SNUKUMZ
11-25-2011, 04:03 PM
so you went with a ge head on a gte block?

May I ask why you went that route?

Angel

match220
11-25-2011, 10:36 PM
JDM skunkums,
It's a long story actually. When I started with this engine I got one that had been parted out already for fairly cheap. I started with a stripped down gen III block. I bought an already modified JDM Gen II head. the head I sent to a shop to put NEW valves in it, it already took oversize valves and I had bought new oversize valves to fit it. The didn't mic it, and didn't read my instructions when I sent it to them, so they enlarged the valves 1mm and I think hit a water jacket. The valves were just supposed to be installed, head wasn't supposed to be machined. It was a JDM Gen II head, they couldn't find a replacement for it (obviously), so they told me that if I found a head then they would pay for it. Couldn't find a turbo head, only a gen III non-turbo head. I sent it to a DIFFERENT machine shop, bought the turbo cams and turbo springs, as well as aftermarket turbo springs for it. Compared the stock springs to the aftermarket ones and the turbo stock ones, and the stock gen III gte springs were actually better than the after market ones I bought. Ferrea dual coil springs withstood 60 PSI, stock ge springs were 40 PSI, and the turbo springs were 80 PSI. Obviously I took the 80 psi springs. Now I have a Gen III head with a Gen III block, head has turbo internals and valve size is the same between the two, so it all worked out in the end, except I had to sell my Gen II valves, springs, and cams for cheaper than I bought them.

JDM SNUKUMZ
11-26-2011, 12:19 AM
So you're using gen 3 gte valve springs. For like 80 bucks could have bought the engle springs from ats.

I know the ge head fits and works I just wouldn't go through the extra work to get it to work the same though. But I understand what you're saying though.

Good luck and hope everything works out good.

Ps you gonna love the sm4, I'm running an smc on my drag car but will be upgrading to the sm4 though soon.

Angel

match220
11-26-2011, 12:38 AM
yeah, I can't wait to start tuning the SM4. I've tuned other cars, this will be the first time tuning my own, and I can't wait. I've got most of it wired in now. I just need to buy the coils that were made for my igniter (early 2000s audi 1.8T). I'm actually planning to eventually run two injectors per cylinder. It's pretty easy to configure the SM4 to run 8 fuel injectors on a 4 cyl. I just have to get 4 more injectors, find a machine shop that will port holes in the intake runners to match the other Gen III fuel rail I have, wire it all in and reconfigure the SM4. I'll do that when I get a bigger turbo though.

JDM SNUKUMZ
11-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Why run dual injectors when you can just run a big injector and be done with it?

Angel

match220
11-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Why run dual injectors when you can just run a big injector and be done with it?

Angel

1) It's not very hard to set up, I just need to pay a machine shop to drill the holes in the manifold runners, then I'll just get 4 used stock injectors, and use the extra gen III fuel rail I already have. Compared to spending almost $1k on the injectors and fuel rail for the gen III.
2) Capable of higher RPMs. The SM4 would think the engine is a v8 instead of a 4 cyl. My individual coils would each fire twice in the "v8" rotation(or once per 4cyl actual rotation), and the injectors would take turns firing in each rotation. So the injectors would seem to be operating at 4000 RPM, but the engine would be at 8000 RPMs. So each injector could be open for a longer period of time at higher RPM, longer duty cycle means a little more power. The 600+cc injectors would be working very hard and I would be pushing them to the limit the more RPM's I try to put out. So 8 injs would also last longer.
3) Cheaper, since all I need is 4 more stock injectors and the machining on the manifold.
4) Final thing..I think it's cool. :)

So it's cheaper than 660cc injs, more reliable in the long run, slightly more power probably(compared to 660cc injs), and it's not that hard.

JDM SNUKUMZ
11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
I kinda figured that route. Sounds good and good luck with the project.

Angel

ricochet1490
12-01-2011, 06:54 AM
good work so far. I'll be watching for sure. 6gc baby!

match220
12-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Thanks, I'm waiting on some more money to come in..lol..which should be soon. I still have to buy a few things before I finish the rewire, and there are a couple parts that I need that are only off of gen III 3sgtes, but I'll get finished soon hopefully. I do know that my yellow LED's came in the mail finally for my custom LED tails that I'm making. They were lost in the mail for 2 months! Now I have them and all I need is the time to solder them on the boards to replace my bulbs.

match220
12-01-2011, 10:57 AM

ooooh, wow, I just looked at the pics of your car after it...umm..met the deer, wow. Not as bad as I've seen other though. I'm from the south east US, my friend was on his motorcycle and ended up running off the road to avoid one. It's odd, deer eat grass, yet they are found on roads a lot.

MCcelica
12-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Never really thought of going that route with the 6th gen... very interesting though. Looks sweet, and keep us posted. :)