PDA

View Full Version : My brakes seem to be locking up on me while I'm driving, help!

dkrew
11-12-2011, 04:09 AM
So two days ago I replaced a broken brake line I had and I bled my brakes, that same day I drove it and it was running fine. The next day I noticed my rpm gauge was way too high when I was accelerating, I let go of the gas and the car was pretty much braking by itself. I've heard about other people having this sort of problem but I have no idea what's causing it. Does anybody know what might be the problem or has anyone else experienced this before????
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/dfkom/IMG_0206.jpg

Galcobar
11-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Sounds like you have a seized caliper. One wheel will probably be hotter than the others after driving. Alternately, get the car up on jackstands and try to spin the wheel by hand. The one that's hard to turn is seized.

If you're lucky, the caliper just needs to be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. If you're not, you'll need a rebuilt caliper. Typically the problem lies in the sliding bushings rather than the piston.

Lonestag
11-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, that most def sounds like a caliper.

dkrew
11-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Sounds like you have a seized caliper. One wheel will probably be hotter than the others after driving. Alternately, get the car up on jackstands and try to spin the wheel by hand. The one that's hard to turn is seized.

If you're lucky, the caliper just needs to be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. If you're not, you'll need a rebuilt caliper. Typically the problem lies in the sliding bushings rather than the piston.

Yeah, that most def sounds like a caliper.

Yeah It looks like it's one of my calipers, which sucks because I just replaced my old ones not too long ago. Hopefully the problem will be fixed when I replace them again. Thanks guys

Luni
11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Ask Bloodmoney about this problem. He knows all about it.

Pull your calipers off and make sure they slide easily on the slider pins. Make sure theyre lubricated and the caliper floats like its supposed to. If they do, then most likely its just a sticky caliper. Order a brake rebuild kit from Lithia Toyota and rebuild your calipers and you should be fine.

dkrew
11-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Ask Bloodmoney about this problem. He knows all about it.

Pull your calipers off and make sure they slide easily on the slider pins. Make sure theyre lubricated and the caliper floats like its supposed to. If they do, then most likely its just a sticky caliper. Order a brake rebuild kit from Lithia Toyota and rebuild your calipers and you should be fine.

Alright will do man thanks a lot!

819_ay
11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
hey guys, i sorta have the same probleme...but i just changed the calipers in the back and when i drive around you can hear the pads grinding on the rotors...(i changed the pads, rotors and calipers in the back) but when i take the wheel off the probleme goes away and when i put the wheels back on if i put them on too tight the wheel doesnt move at all....so i cant tighten the bolts all the way....and the rim doesnt get stuck on anything....dont wanna steal your thread Dkrew just didnt wanna start another one on a similar probleme

819_ay
11-18-2011, 10:40 PM
nvm my last post i started my own thread....

dkrew
11-19-2011, 03:33 AM
hey guys, i sorta have the same probleme...but i just changed the calipers in the back and when i drive around you can hear the pads grinding on the rotors...(i changed the pads, rotors and calipers in the back) but when i take the wheel off the probleme goes away and when i put the wheels back on if i put them on too tight the wheel doesnt move at all....so i cant tighten the bolts all the way....and the rim doesnt get stuck on anything....dont wanna steal your thread Dkrew just didnt wanna start another one on a similar probleme

Hey man don't worry it's cool, but I know how you feel.... trying to fix this problem was pretty hectic! I didn't replace my whole break system like you so I'm certain the problem with mine are the calipers, so I'm just going to buy a rebuild kit for them and see if it works. Hopefully it fixes the problem. But you should really look into seeing if you got the right rotors and then continue with the problem solving, I really hope you fix the problem!

819_ay
11-19-2011, 06:06 AM
cool thx man...same too you hope you get that prob fixed easy....