PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Radiator

buffalohunter7321
10-28-2011, 07:19 PM
My mechanic and I was talking it over about useing a automatic radiator in my All-trac as a oil cooler!
Does anyone know if any of toyotas automatic radiators would fit in an 88 All-trac? Or any other radiators from other types of cars would fit.
My mechanic and myself think that by useing this type of rad. would cool the oil better than just those little oil coolers would, that are made to cool by forced air cooling. Where the automatic rad would have water cooling plus forced air too.
Any thoughts Bros.
buffalohunter7321

UtahSleeper
10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Seems interesting, but I would be concerned that it wouldn't get cooled enough since you still have the engine heat in the rad. I imagine under load the seperate oil cooler would be superior.

tuner4life
10-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Seems interesting, but I would be concerned that it wouldn't get cooled enough since you still have the engine heat in the rad. I imagine under load the seperate oil cooler would be superior.

An external cooler would be more efficient, but since it is an alltrac, if space is an issue, running it through the trans cooler internal to the radiator could be a clever space saving trick.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-28-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure on a 165, but on my 185, I'm running a GT-S radiator. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your model. I got mine from Radiator Barn. Good price and it is a very good radiator. It does have the automatic oil cooler in it but I'm not doing anything with it.

Like the others said though, you'd probably be better with a dedicated external oil cooler though.

CriScO
10-28-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure on a 165, but on my 185, I'm running a GT-S radiator. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your model. I got mine from Radiator Barn. Good price and it is a very good radiator. It does have the automatic oil cooler in it but I'm not doing anything with it.

Like the others said though, you'd probably be better with a dedicated external oil cooler though.
162 radiator won't work, no hook-ups for the intercooler.

UtahSleeper
10-28-2011, 11:26 PM
The rad has hookups for the IC? Thought the IC was a self contained system?

alltracman78
10-28-2011, 11:39 PM
162 radiator won't work, no hook-ups for the intercooler.
Turbo, not intercooler.
The IC is completely separate from the engine cooling system.

buffalohunter7321
10-29-2011, 01:26 AM
I have one of the extra external coolers on already but looking at the size of it compared to the size of the cooling chamber of my new all alumiun rad. It seems like the size of the external cooler being on the front of the rad would still conduct some heat from the radiator core and just cool air for cooling. Where as in the radiator set up for an automatic would have water and air cooling the oil!!!!!???
I might put a oil temp gage on it while it is just hooked up to the external cooler and then try to hook one up on the radiator, that is if I can find a radiator that is for an automatic trans that will fit in my all-trac and compare the two temps.
But the big question is " Is there a automatic radiator that can be used in an st165?

CriScO
10-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Turbo, not intercooler.
The IC is completely separate from the engine cooling system.
Of course, my mistake. I've been assaulted with so much Nissan info the last two weeks that my brain is broken.

alltracman78
10-29-2011, 11:34 PM
I figured it was a brain fart. :)

. Where as in the radiator set up for an automatic would have water and air cooling the oil!!!!!???

Only coolant [water]. The barrel cooler that's in auto radiators is completely immersed in coolant, it's not exposed to the outside air at all.
Not to mention that the coolant in the radiator is significantly hotter than outside air, so an external cooler in front of the rad would probably cool to a lower temp.
Not to say which one would work better, because I don't know that. I do know that you don't want your oil too cool, just like your coolant. They should both be hot for the engine to work best. Just not too hot.

buffalohunter7321
10-30-2011, 02:16 AM
You are right that the lines are completely covered and immersed in coolent or water inside of the barrel. But that barrel is made of metal and by way of contact to other metal parts, heat will always radeate to cooler temps. The cool metal will draw alot of that heat out from the barrel adding in the air that is around the barrel will also be a nother means of cooling. And if all else falls, you can still run the oil through the external cooler, after it runs through the tranny lines before it returns to the block.

What is your thoughts on the [testing] of the oil through the trany lines of the radiator to see what the temp would be?
I plan on useing a water temp gage to check the oil tempture, just need to figure on how to do it! And do the same with the external cooler. Than compare the two temps and see what happens.

Any suggestion on how to rig up a test system to do this?