PDA

View Full Version : 5sge build

celicaGT90_05
10-26-2011, 06:48 AM
I have a 5sfe sittin just begging to be torn apart, and I have an 88 gts with a 3sge sitting in it. So I would like to put them together for a solid engine in the 88. I have a friend who can do port and polish work, so boosting the head up wont be an issue. My main question is what kind of pistons work best for this swap since 5sfe pistons aren't that great. What else could I do while doing the built to boost a little more power. I don't really plan to bore or stroke, I doubt it'd be very beneficial in any aspect being that the engine is already pumping 200cc's.

Lonestag
10-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Just for the record, I have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd gen MR2 3SGE stuff lying around in my garage, at least a block and head from the 2nd gen. Might be some stuff there you could use.

I don't think that the pistons are a real weakness in the 5S, I think you might be better off focusing elseware.

Some of the things I thought I would explore when I do my 5SGE were:

Oil Scrapers
Cams from a 2nd gen 3SGE (heard they fit with head work, which would be good for you.
Since TVIS should still be active, a delete or controller would help with the new high end.
Adjustable Cam gears and a fuel controller might go a long way as well.

At least those are the mods I've been kinda looking at.

JDM SNUKUMZ
10-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Its not that the pistons are weak its the compression ratio you're looking at valve reliefs.

Cams should drop in as long.

I would keep the tvis

Cams gears are a plus but you won't get much with the stock cams. I would look at the specs of the 2nd gen cams versus the ones u have already.

Angel

celicaGT90_05
10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Well if I remember right, they are cupped designed, so not exactly performance bound. But a cam? I never really thought about that, I assume you don't have a spare in your pile? Haha. I am planning to make sure this engine is solid when I put it together, so does anyone have a recommended piston?

celicaGT90_05
10-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Any more info?

rizin
11-03-2011, 01:24 AM
The rod bolts are the weak point of a 5sfe. One thing you could do is get the crank turned down to run your 3sge rods they are a lot beefier then the 5s. If you run the t-vis on a 5sge and diffrent cams you might want to tune the tvis to that engine. I remember very little from the power primer but you run the tvis closed and look at the torque. Then with it open. where ever the torque curve crosses that is when you want it to open. Maybe someone can point you to the power primer since I don't even know where to look now. The other thing like said above is you need pistons to run the correct compression ratio on the 5sge. From there make sure you use the 3s crank gear, and oil pump gear. I think the 3sge might run the same oil pump as the 3sgte and it has higher volume then the early 5s pump. The 98+ 5s oil pump has higher volume then the 3sgte. I can't think of anything else at this point.

celicaGT90_05
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Good info, the rods from the 3sge are the same length? Only issue I may have there is I was told the 3sge may have a rod knock but hopefully it didn't damage the rod. What kind of pistons work well with these engines?

rizin
11-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Well for pistons from a little research it looks like the 1st gen 3sge ran 9.2:1 compression. So you would need to find a after market piston close to that. All I found at one site was 9:1 http://www.raceeng.com/p-10687-je-5sfe3sg-head875mm91rings-set.aspx . I know the 3sgte and 5sfe rods are the same length and I bet the ge rods are the same as the gte. Another thing you might have to drill the 5s block to match the coolant passages of the 3s head.

celicaGT90_05
11-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I do need to do a little bit of research, but from what I understand the coolant passages are the same except for a wall on the 3sge head needs milled out. From what a buddy has told me who has looked more into this, that wall was a downfall to the 3sge design, wouldn't cool properly then could lead to a rod knock, so that will definitely be removed. Thanks for the help rizin, do appreciate it. 9:1 sounds like a very nice ratio, I just wonder why the 5sfe took a completely different direction.

schnee
11-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Ouch
more info here - http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?53510-Using-5SFE-Crank-to-stroke-3SGE&p=30190238#post30190238