PDA

View Full Version : 91 5S-FE POWER

T0XIC VVTi
10-19-2011, 05:37 AM
looking for more power
venom 400 any good?
3S-GE head swap with stage 3 cams valve train upgrade
if the head swap is a no go then whaT are my head options
ive heard you can run higher comp by milling .040 off the deck of the 91 5S head also heard you could run bigger valves from the 3S
and i have had no luck finding a aftermarket manifold for my intake doing a fresh start on my head. i already have M2 4-1 header im in also need of exhuast 2 1/4 with cat or with out? and finally 02 sensor ima need one of those too thanks guys

:thebirdman: civics all day:thebirdman:

Hookecho
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
The setup I use to have on my 5sfe was I/H/E, Colt cams, milled the head .050 to raise compression, ported matched the intake side of the head and manifold, basic 3 angle valve job, and an SAFC for fuel tuning. The mods made quite the difference. I would say a gain of 35hp at the least. All of the power was low to midrange. Once you get to 80mph the motor still poops outs and passing power still sucks. However, 0-60 was fun.

You can fit the 3sgte valves on the head. It will cost you some money.

If you really want to take advantage of the power you already have with the stock motor then I would recommend getting some solid poly mounts from Speed Source. Puts the power to the ground with a quickness. Best 1st mod you can do imo.

Hookecho
10-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I moved this to N/A. There's a lot of good info in that forum. Look through the stickies and do a forum search. You'll find answers to most of your questions.

LyGuy
10-19-2011, 03:46 PM
If you really want to take advantage of the power you already have with the stock motor then I would recommend getting some solid poly mounts from Speed Source. Puts the power to the ground with a quickness. Best 1st mod you can do imo.

Did that cause the noise in the cabin to be considerably louder?

4thgenceli
10-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Did that cause the noise in the cabin to be considerably louder?

No it doesn't. On my '87 GTS the front & rear mount were shot. It had a nasty vibration. Once I installed the poly mounts, I noticed an increased pick up in delivery time (press gas, car moves better) as the torque is not lost in the engine rocking. The only effect that these would cause is increased vibrations at idle. That's all I really noticed.

Hookecho
10-19-2011, 04:53 PM
The only drawback is the slight vibration when the car idles. The way I combated that issue was to raise my idle a couple hundred rpm. That smoothed it out and got rid of the vibrations.