PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Pros & Cons

Lishapalooza
10-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Basically, I'm considering doing an engine swap. I've got a '00 GT, and it's oil burning problem has become a pain in the ass. But I'm still not 100% solid on doing it.

Sooo...any pros / cons I should be aware of before making a final decision?

Murgatroy
10-16-2011, 10:37 PM
When you say swap, do you mean stock for stock, taking the 1ZZFE out and putting in another 1ZZFE, or going with something different?

A straight stock replacement is a pretty easy gig that takes a weekend to have complete and running with experienced people.

If you are talking about going with a different beast under the hood from stock, it could complicated matters a bit and cause the process to take longer as you hunt down things you didn't realize you were going to need.

Doowstados
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Probably more worth it IMHO to figure out why exactly your engine is burning oil and fixing it. I'm not really educated on the 1ZZFE though, I know they all burn oil, so this may not be possible.

Lishapalooza
10-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Well, Seth had suggested going stock for stock, and getting a later version of the engine from an '03, I think is what he said. I've just been looking into if it will be cheaper / easier to just swap the engine out, as opposed to taking it in, finding out why it's burning oil, and replacing all sorts of stuff.

Night_Wolf
10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Go big or go home, 3SGTE :D

Murgatroy
10-17-2011, 08:06 PM
It is cheaper to buy another engine than it is to rebuild an engine.

Properly.

You can hone/rering an engine for parts and most of the time be fine. But to even do that properly you are in the territory of a junkyard engine.

donteatbugs
10-17-2011, 09:20 PM
The thing is to find a good low miles engine that someone took care of. If you can find that then by all means swap it out and then keep or sell your old one.

4thgenceli
10-17-2011, 09:31 PM
The thing is to find a good low miles engine that someone took care of. If you can find that then by all means swap it out and then keep or sell your old one.

Exactly what I was going to say. The chances of you finding an engine that has been taken care of is hard. Sure once you get it you could do a soft build (gaskets/water pump/etc) and providing the rings/HG are safe you should be ok.

Personally I would rip it out, find the oil leak and if it's not a bad issue to repair repair it and then reseal the thing (water pump/geaskets/etc).

Luni
10-17-2011, 10:25 PM
You cant rehone 1zzs and 2zzs. You have to resleeve them.

Id personally have a proper leakdown test performed to make sure its a ring issue, and not something in the head. Then Id start searching car-part.com for a good low mileage one. DONT use one from an MRS. You want one out of a Celica.

The swap itself is easy as fuck. It really is stupid easy. Prolly the easiest engine pull/replace Ive ever done was my 2zz.

bzdweezy
10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
The 00-02 engines are known to burn oil, some people had luck with a doing a piston soak. My 05 doesnt burn any noticeable oil between my 4-5k oil changes.

A 2zz swap would be sweet but a 1zz would cost less and be easier.

How many miles are on your current engine and whats the rate of the oil consumption?

KoreanJoey
10-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Stone-hone. Re-ring, new bearings and reseal everything.

My experience has been a ring issue.

Smaay
10-19-2011, 11:31 PM

worse advice ever!

Smaay
10-19-2011, 11:35 PM
You cant rehone 1zzs and 2zzs. You have to resleeve them.

DONT use one from an MRS. You want one out of a Celica.

sorry you are wrong here! you CAN hone the 1ZZ. I have now fixed 3 1ZZ engines that drank oil like it was going out of style. it is a ring issue! What you have to do is pull the engine, tear it down, replace the rings with 03 rings and hone the cylinders. thats it! but while in there i also recommend replacing all the bearings, valve guide seals and lapping the valves. And there is absolutly nothing wrong with using a 1ZZ from a Spyder. In fact you can use a 1ZZ from anything 03+ but if you get one from a corolla or matrix you have to drill and tap the 3 holes for the axle bearing carrier

if you want to do a 2ZZ swap, look at my stickys.

and people get over the 3S-GTE swap in a 7th gen. i mean really, its not worth it! This has been covered over and over and over and over

Luni
10-20-2011, 03:56 AM
Cool. Learn something new every day.

MCcelica
10-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Right. This is a 7th gen GT, so 3sgte is a definite no go. I suggested a 1zz for 1zz swap so that electronics don't also have to be swapped over (among other things). Smaay, correct me if I'm wrong but if memory serves correctly Toyota redesigned lots of things (IE: Rings, valve seals, etc) for production year 2003 in order to address oil burning problems in 00-02 1zzfe's. Hence my suggestion for an '03+ engine. So Bugs and Tim, I'm not sure ripping it out and finding where the leak is and fixing it is the best option as Toyota completely redesigned the parts.

As far as pro's and con's go... if you buy a junkyard engine, you're not really sure what you're going to get. Yes, they're cheap (relative to new). They could solve all your problems... or they can give you a new set of problems all together. In any case, if you get a junkyard engine you'd want to tear it down enough to make sure it's ok. Which is the same amount you'd tear down your existing engine. Now. The benefits to getting a junkyard engine are that you can keep your car running as long as it takes to check out/build the junkyard engine. As well you can rebuild your own engine and sell it post swap. Whereas if you rebuild your engine without a swap, your ride is going to be out of commission until you're done... which could be for a long long time if life happens.

Problem that I see is this. Where the fuck are you going to keep an engine in the bricks? You're not. I mean you can TMO it to me, and I'll hold it if you want. Or maybe Pike/Mrs. P can hold it, but what happens when you PCS?

Ray, there's all kinds of shit to consider when you're thinking of a swap. Due to life, my 6th gen has been deadline for over a year. I may get it up in time for the dragon, but I can't guarantee that. There's some pro's/con's for you.

Lishapalooza
10-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Well, I'm leaving here in January...and I have to drive down to Texas. So I'd like to get it fixed ASAP, if possible. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I drive it out to North Carolina.

This is a more difficult decision than I thought...lol

KoreanJoey
10-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Again, just re-ring, hone, bearings and reseal. It's a day job.

rizin
10-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Thanks guys for all the info in this thread. I am looking at tearing into a 1zz from a 00' corrolla that ran out of oil. Glad to here that I can hone the cylinders and use 03' rings. Now I just have to see if the rod or rods need to be replaced from driving it to much after the bearing was shot.

donteatbugs
10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
If it ran out of oil make sure you check everything the oil touches for damage

Night_Wolf
10-24-2011, 05:42 PM

worse advice ever!

It was meant as a joke lol

MCcelica
10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Except this isn't off topic so keep your jokes in there. Thanks.

KoreanJoey
10-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Thanks guys for all the info in this thread. I am looking at tearing into a 1zz from a 00' corrolla that ran out of oil. Glad to here that I can hone the cylinders and use 03' rings. Now I just have to see if the rod or rods need to be replaced from driving it to much after the bearing was shot.

Remember, this is re-honing, not boring. If the cylinders are scored you're SOL.

rizin
10-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Thanks bugs and Joey I am expecting the worse. I understand the deal with the engine running out of oil. The nice thing is now I know if I buy a junkyard engine I know that I can hone the cylinders. I thought you couldn't and being able to run 03' rings to help with the oil burn is nice to know.

Smaay
11-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Again, just re-ring, hone, bearings and reseal. It's a day job.

no freaking way is this a day job. you have to pull the engine, remove all the accessories, pull the head, pull the oil pan, remove the rods and pistons, clean everything, hone the cylinders, and reassemble. Im a fvcking Jedi when it comes to these engines and i cant do all that in 1 day.

donteatbugs
11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
I could do it in 1-day as in 24 hours but not in an 8 hour day.

KoreanJoey
11-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Eh, 12 hours max for a re-ring, re-bearing and reseal.

Smaay
11-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I challenge both of you to that. 24 hours straight, thats possible. but 12 hours? no freaking way! pass that stuff you are smoking cause i want to live in your world to

donteatbugs
11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I have no desire to do a 1zz. But if i didnt care about the motor i could do it. Ive done a 4age in one day out of a corolla gts

T-spoon
11-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Eh, 12 hours max for a re-ring, re-bearing and reseal.

So when do you want to do our MRS? I just put 2 quarts of oil in it and there isn't a drop on the ground under the car.. clearly burning it. :(

Smaay
11-12-2011, 03:53 AM
bring it to me, ill do it

Hookecho
11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
You'll have to do it in 11 hours and 59 minutes to beat the record. Good luck sir :)

Car_Barn_Bandit
11-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Anytime you dive into a block, and reliability is your end game, you want to take your time. Sure you could do a Top Gear style challenge, and we would all enjoy the entertainment.

When it comes time to the block crapping tons of oil because you missed something on your quest to do a rebuild in half of day, just repost in off topic.

Sent via Imperial Comlink