PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering about RHD cars...

klapa
10-16-2011, 05:05 AM
I will admit - I have never even been in the cockpit of a RHD car - and will further say that it has always seemed "backwards" to me to drive on the other side of the road.

I am sure that the anti-thesis of thinking prevails among those that regularly drive on he "wrong side of the road" (IMO).

Still - I wonder - with the wheel on the right - do you then have the gas pedal all the way to the right and the brake pedal nearest the center?

*edit*

Actually I got it all mixed up here - I MEANT to say - isn't the gas pedal on the LEFT - towards the center console - and the brake and clutch toward the right - next to the door? So everything is truly backwards as far as what an American driver is accustomed to?

Hookecho
10-16-2011, 07:05 AM
This should help.

http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/imgs/1991ST185RCRed19.jpg

http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/imgs/1991ST185RCRed20.jpg

http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/imgs/1991ToyotaCelicaGTfourRC03_25.jpg

l0ch0w
10-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Honestly the only thing you would have to get used to is shifting with your left hand...

underscore
10-16-2011, 05:46 PM
everything is the same (pedals, gear position) except for the turn signals and wipers are flipped. I'm pretty sure this is because if your signals die for whatever reason, you're supposed to signal with your arm out the window (like on a bike)

celica9303
10-16-2011, 06:38 PM
everything is the same (pedals, gear position) except for the turn signals and wipers are flipped. I'm pretty sure this is because if your signals die for whatever reason, you're supposed to signal with your arm out the window (like on a bike)

This ^
And shifting with left foot and left hand takes some getting used to, unless your left handed like myself, and it just came naturally. Making left turns is scary sometimes untill your used to it.

187flatliner
10-16-2011, 08:12 PM
rhd drive cars took me about a few days to get used to....... it always hurts when you throw your hand into the door to shift.....lol

klapa
10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Well - thanks everybody - I can see that actually it is only getting used to shifting with the left hand - the feet stay the same.

I could learn that - shifting with the left - even IF I am right-handed.

But the feet - that would be difficult for me to "switch off" and relearn. It is good to know that the "feet are the same".

Prolly you don't all know this - but in the old Soviet - anybody that was left-handed was quickly detected in their childhood and "re-educated" to be right-handed!

Galcobar
10-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Correcting left-handedness was standard in most developed countries up until the late 20th Century. Still pops up, actually. Religion, particularly Christianity, was a strong influence in encouraging/forcing those who are left-handed to act like they are right-handed.

Murgatroy
10-16-2011, 10:28 PM
I know folks in my generation that were reeducated to be right handed when they began to show signs of left handedness in their youth.

I am a southpaw. However I am nearly ambidextrous, with writing being the only thing I gravitate to the left hand for. I throw, shoot and otherwise use my right hand.

ChrisD
10-17-2011, 03:47 AM
The biggest thing most people have trouble with is the difference between the signal light and the windshield wiper. Signal is on the right.

But really it's just a skill, once you have it, you are fine. I don't even think about it any more regardless of which vehicle I'm driving.

underscore
10-17-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm more likely to mess up the wipers on my GT-S than my RC. I do occasionally grab into open air for the seat belt if I'm in a rush though.

The Captain
10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't like shifting with "the stranger".

Night_Wolf
10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't like shifting with "the stranger".

^ Funny!

GT4RC
10-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm right handed. I prefer my strong arm on the wheel. After a month or so daily driving RHD it feels funny getting into LHD. it really becomes natural very fast.

The biggest difficulties are passing on a single lane(each way) highway, and at a controlled intersection if the oncoming cars stop to make a left while you are waiting to make a left, it blocks your vision, so unless you get an advance left turn light, you have to wait until the oncoming cars turning left are all done. Another to note is when merging left from a higher elevation it becomes hard to see down and behind you on your left.

Siyx
10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Took 10 minutes for me to get used to shifting with my left hand, 4 days to get the signal/wipers right and about 7 days to stop walking to the "wrong" side of the car to get in :D
BTW - We arent on the wrong side of the car, we're on the right side ;)

underscore
10-18-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm right handed. I prefer my strong arm on the wheel. After a month or so daily driving RHD it feels funny getting into LHD. it really becomes natural very fast.

The biggest difficulties are passing on a single lane(each way) highway, and at a controlled intersection if the oncoming cars stop to make a left while you are waiting to make a left, it blocks your vision, so unless you get an advance left turn light, you have to wait until the oncoming cars turning left are all done. Another to note is when merging left from a higher elevation it becomes hard to see down and behind you on your left.

I also find turning right when there's a big concrete island for the light can be hard as well (seeing past the passenger seat and rear pillar)

temperacerguy
10-18-2011, 03:10 AM
Took 10 minutes for me to get used to shifting with my left hand, 4 days to get the signal/wipers right and about 7 days to stop walking to the "wrong" side of the car to get in :D

This.

I also own an R32 GT-R. Shifting is easy, and becomes natural quite quickly, I still have the wiper issue all the time, however never had the problem getting into the "wrong" side of the car in the skyline. When I was in Jamaica however getting in and out of an SW20 was always a problem. I'd dive into the left side, and sit there confused for a second, then get out like an idiot, walk around the car, and get into the right side.

KoreanJoey
10-18-2011, 04:28 AM
rhd drive cars took me about a few days to get used to....... it always hurts when you throw your hand into the door to shift.....lol

Yeah... that's when you know you're doing it wrong.

PS: I'm left handed and would rather have my dominant hand on the wheel anyways so LHD works better for me.

jaydog82
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
As it should be lol

Correcting left-handedness was standard in most developed countries up until the late 20th Century. Still pops up, actually. Religion, particularly Christianity, was a strong influence in encouraging/forcing those who are left-handed to act like they are right-handed.

Just dont MONEY shift it, my friend did this in his rhd type r civic.

Night_Wolf
10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Just dont MONEY shift it, my friend did this in his rhd type r civic.

WTH is money shift?!

jaydog82
10-18-2011, 05:07 PM
when you miss a shift say instead of 4th you shift into 2nd and it ends up costing you lots of money = money shift.

Waffles!
10-18-2011, 10:39 PM
So wait.... is the shift pattern still the same as in a LHD vehicle?

Siyx
10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Yes its still a standard "H". Pedals are the same as well.
The only REAL difference is the turn signals and wipers (and the fact that you are 18" to the right)
Otherwise there is no real difference between a LHD and RHD vehicle.
You change your driving habits as well.

jaydog82
10-18-2011, 11:40 PM
he was just not accustom to shifting with his left hand lol

belanger33
10-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Hahaha same thing happens to me with the wipers...get mixed up nowadays with the LHD style lmao!

I'm more likely to mess up the wipers on my GT-S than my RC. I do occasionally grab into open air for the seat belt if I'm in a rush though.

underscore
10-19-2011, 08:02 AM
This.

I also own an R32 GT-R. Shifting is easy, and becomes natural quite quickly, I still have the wiper issue all the time, however never had the problem getting into the "wrong" side of the car in the skyline. When I was in Jamaica however getting in and out of an SW20 was always a problem. I'd dive into the left side, and sit there confused for a second, then get out like an idiot, walk around the car, and get into the right side.

Try having two black 5th gen Celica's. I can't count the times I've tried to use the wrong key or got into the wrong one.

Night_Wolf
10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
when you miss a shift say instead of 4th you shift into 2nd and it ends up costing you lots of money = money shift.

O see now that makes complete sense hahaha

belanger33
10-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Pretty easy to get used too...took me a couple of hours and it was perfect! You just have to be more vigilant whenswitch lane to pass somebody but apart from that the driving is great(especially if your left-handed:P)

hobbie2k
11-07-2011, 02:40 AM
When I moved to Australia in college I bought a AU$300 Datsun that I used for running around the city, and being the only American at the college with a car, the other exchange students would hit me up for rides a lot. I also made it a point to allow any foreign student (particularly those from LHD countries) to try driving my car if they wished. Every single one of them drove up to the first intersection, and turned the wipers on instead of the turn signal, and they all jumped, and I laughed.

However, I would note that not all RHD cars have the turn signals and wiper stalks switched. Last time I visited Aus I borrowed a Holden Barina (based on an Opel/Vauxhall) and it's stalks were in the LHD positions. Probably because Holden was too cheap to swap them.

taibones
11-07-2011, 04:16 PM
well i must say having a rhd in a lhd country, it is so much easier parallel parking

Funkycheeze
11-07-2011, 07:03 PM
What mixes me up driving Tara's car is mostly the fact that there is more 'car' to your left, instead of to your right. So sometimes I drift out of my lane a bit if there are no other cars around. Also it is weird looking up the other way for the rear view mirror.

And I had to relearn a bit controlling the car with my right hand only when shifting.

GT4RC
11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
What mixes me up driving Tara's car is mostly the fact that there is more 'car' to your left, instead of to your right. So sometimes I drift out of my lane a bit if there are no other cars around. Also it is weird looking up the other way for the rear view mirror.

And I had to relearn a bit controlling the car with my right hand only when shifting.

First left turn I ever made in my grey RC I nearly drove it into the meridian. That scare made me learn quick, and it it the biggest reason I do not let others drive her. And yeah, parallel parking is teh win. :)

andy
11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I drove a rhd subaru, it was fun. I only had problems with the blinkers, I turned the wipers on at every turn lol

Siyx
11-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Been driving my GT4 for so long now as my DD that when I try and get in the wife's Corolla it screws me up. I whack my left hand into the door trying to shift (her car is automatic, mine is standard), I ride the white line because i forget that i'm 18" to the left now, I cant make right turns without taking out a curb, the damn wipers come one when i try and make a turn.... :) Driving a LHD car is actually a terrifying experiance now for me. I feel much safer in my RHD.
After about 10 minutes of driving her car I start to get it right again but i have come to one conclusion....
I cant drive a LHD automatic anymore !!!! haha.