PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a 240sx

prophet513
10-15-2011, 07:06 AM
So I began a searching for a 240sx about a week and a half ago, and with tons of cars out there for sale I know I shouldn't have to wait months and months to find the right one if I look hard enough.

Some people may knock them or the scene behind them in certain places, but I'm just looking for a cheap RWD car.

The first 240 I looked at was about 50 minutes away from Cincinnati in Lynchburg. Aka the middle of nowhere.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2638135883.html

It was the dirtiest car I've seen. Inside wasn't the greatest and the outside was extremely dirty. He lived halfway down a dusty, dirty gravel driveway and just decided it wasn't worth the time to wash the car. It wasn't the best looking, although it only had one rust spot, but it drove great.

He told me I could trade my Celica or give him 1500, but I had to have the cash by Friday (This was Monday). So by the time I got the money together he reminded me a guy was coming to potentially trade a 4 door integra, which is what the owner was looking for as a family car. And of course Friday came, and he traded it.

So I broadened my search across Craigslist going to Western Indiana and as North in Ohio as Cleveland and found a few other cars.

Some didn't have phone numbers, but I'm still awaiting email response. The 3 that I'm looking at now are right here:

http://ohio.locateanyauto.com/automobiles/nissan-240-sx-1990-one-owner-runs-good.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2647013262.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2647876743.html

The 1st one was linked to me by Car_Barn_Bandit. I will be calling them later today to work out a time to see it. Thanks to him for his search skills!

The second is owned by a Nissan technician in Cleveland. Car_Barn_Bandit also helped me here by saying he might find time this week to go and check it out for me. It needs a few things like tie rods and the speedo doesn't work. But the interior seems to be great and it sounds extremely reliable. This guy too has somebody interested and it may even be gone this morning.

The 3rd one is a little mysterious. I am unable to get this car looked at by anyone I know so far although I've tried asking around on Facebook a little. And the ad makes it seem great, but its rather cheap.

Anyway I guess later today I will find out quite a bit of news on my search to get one of these cars for under $2k. Wish me luck and feel free to give me any advice or point me in a good direction.

Kevin

85gtsblackman
10-15-2011, 07:23 AM
240sx's are awful

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-15-2011, 07:33 AM
350zx (http://pennsylvania.locateanyauto.com/automobiles/nissan-300zx-trade-for-5-speed.html) as well...

85gtsblackman
10-15-2011, 08:09 AM
from taking to other 240 heads, if its a hatch look for rust.

also replacing all suspension/steering bushings is a good idea

on a funny not the guy i bought the rotors from sold me part of a big brake kit for the front w/o realizing it. ima get the rest for 35 bux later on

prophet513
10-15-2011, 10:34 PM
240sx's are awful

ha my i ask why you say this?

as well as why you own one if thats your opinion

85gtsblackman
10-16-2011, 05:55 AM
it was sarcasm. you will learn im a sarcastic person.

oh i got a 240 cause i wanted something fun, cheap to build good on gas rwd that actally has an aftermarket. im getting tired of contantly having to to fab things for my cars.

prophet513
10-16-2011, 04:00 PM
something fun, cheap to build good on gas rwd that actally has an aftermarket. im getting tired of contantly having to to fab things for my cars.

EXACTLY.

And the 2nd owner did not sell his car yet and it is STILL available. I called the first owner and he did not answer so I left him a message at about 5 yesterday.

prophet513
10-16-2011, 06:03 PM
http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/2620845364.html

There's also this one. Unfortunately it comes with the more problematic SOHC. But it has a few light mods already. Owner claims its in good shape, and its only 2 hours away. He said he'd take 1800 but I know I could do without the racing seats and anything else if I could drop the price just a little more as reasonably as possible.

klapa
10-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Hmm - the guy I bought my Alltrac from bought a 240SX a day later......think "Twilight Zone" theme song here.....

prophet513
10-17-2011, 04:26 AM
If you find one with a good body and stuff they can easily be built for a lot of power. I'm looking at ls1 and sr20 as opposed to potentially building up the ka24

85gtsblackman
10-17-2011, 07:28 AM
ls1 dont do well for long left handed sweepers

sr you loose torque and the ka is arguably a better design

i personally like the rb swaps if your staying nissan. the ka can get decent power turboed. recently say 360 rwhp on a setup thats going for over 2 years.

or

2jz with a 1jz head.

if the engine i got is pretty healthy then n/a i should see 150-165 wrhp with intake header and exaust which i have laying around. stock dyno is 138 or so.

i just want to use mine as a daily so nothing crazy for mine. i may swap a s14 (95-99) lower intake manifold which gains like 5hp so so but i can go get the part free.

i may also run dual exaust cams which adds a few horses but really helps the powerband. or cams out of a 91.

somewhere in time id like to just get some shocks n springs, re tint the car, paint it and call it a day.

prophet513
10-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I love the idea of turboing the KA to about 200 or more but mine will have around 156k miles on it and I feel like it'd cost just as much if not more than some of the other swaps... I might just go for a mild build on it though, especially if I can find a cheap ecu upgrade.

And thanks Bandit for helping me out with this!

85gtsblackman
10-18-2011, 04:26 AM
You can get 200 with a t3/t4 3inch exaust, backyard tuning, and the other basic parts for a turbo setup at 4 to 6 psi

prophet513
10-18-2011, 05:48 AM
You can get 200 with a t3/t4 3inch exaust, backyard tuning, and the other basic parts for a turbo setup at 4 to 6 psi

How much do you think this would cost?

And an update. I am really liking the idea of this perfect interior more and more as I think about it.
Unfortunately though the $1500 car apparently has somebody quite interested looking at it tomorrow and it may sell.

In that case its most likely back to square 1. Again.

prophet513
10-19-2011, 02:30 AM
The owner of the gray/silver 240 in Cleveland did NOT sell his car today! So hopefully it looks good and I can head up there Thursday.

85gtsblackman
10-19-2011, 05:57 AM
oh just to warn u, its rare to find a any year 240sx without a cracked dash. if u dont like the auto seatbelts the 95-up ones bolt in. the tweed on the door panels can usally be easily peeled off on a hot day. the center console shifter trim and raido trim is flimsy. u may want to replace all the steering bushings. mine are tight somehow. the seats in the 89-94 suck imo. the much much much better seats out of a 95-up bolt in for the front. the interior quality isnt as good as toyota imo.

its still a fun car though

85gtsblackman
10-21-2011, 06:10 AM
soooo did u get to look at that car?

allTRACway
10-21-2011, 02:27 PM
the post is deleted maybe he did

boo_guy
10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I know of one for sale with a motivated seller (found a 5.0 mustang he really wants instead) but he's a days drive away up in Canada, our used car market is more expensive as well.
No cracked dash though. :P

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-Nissan-240SX-SE-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ320569202

prophet513
10-22-2011, 04:23 AM
Alright I wound up driving to Cleveland on Thursday with a friend of mine. It was pouring the whole way there but of course my Celica handled it like a pro and even made the 4 hour drive on half a tank..

It was dark when I got there but the seller was a really cool and honest guy and I trusted him. I looked at the rust spots which honestly ARE a little more than I expected and I should be fixing them Sunday, but after I opened the door I couldn't resist. The interior looks almost brand new. A few bits of color wear in places people put their hands like the the windshield wipers/headlights and window cranks, but it even smelled brand new. I drove it around just real quick, and knowing it needed tie rods and a few other little suspension pieces I still didn't noticed a thing. The only other thing is that the bumpers are primer gray. A few dings and dents here, but nothing major and nothing visible from 10 feet. Odometer read 158xxx miles and that's nothing for those cars. Only other thing is that I'll most likely have to get the speedometer re wired. It says you're going 130 almost the whole time and I have no clue how much that'll cost me.

The way back home was cool, there were easily a few times when I may have done over 100. All but maybe 30 minutes of the drive was in heavy rain, pretty stupid and terrifying, but the car made it back just fine, and my Celica looked great on the highway.

With about 45 minutes left we switched cars just for a change of pace and my Celica felt extremely different to me. Something felt loose on the highway and my car was pretty rattly feeling but it was on and off. I'm hoping its just something that needs tightening, it only has 137k but I'm pretty sure most if not all of the suspension is still original. I'm going to try to check it out Sunday as well so I can get the 240 off the road until I get those parts replaced.

85gtsblackman
10-22-2011, 07:25 AM
WELCOME TO RWD

i would have rather had an se but get what u can.

so what year did u get?

oh and while your at it find a rear diff out of a HICAS s13 or a lsd out of a s14 or a 3.90 out of a j30

prophet513
10-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Ha i already owned an MR2...

Anyway its a 91 so I got the DOHC luckily...

However here's what the car needs so any help would be appreciated as I really know almost nothing about this stuff and I will learn as I go:

Driver inner and outer tie rod ends. Passenger outer tie rod end. After that, an alignment.
Front strut mount bearings.

Fan clutch/clutch fan? - My car just earlier tonight started making a wooshy sound as I accelerate and the previous owner said that may very well be the problem. Not sure. But I really don't like it.

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-23-2011, 08:00 AM
http://tomduggan.com/misc/ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

prophet513
10-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Ha what do you want pictures of? I'll take some today especially as I fix the rust

vip09
10-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Waiting for thread "drifted into pole, car broke in half from rust"

prophet513
10-24-2011, 03:56 AM
yeah yeah yeah... go drive one

85gtsblackman
10-24-2011, 08:08 AM
im going to keep my comments to myself just cause ill probally hurts some peoples feelings

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
im going to keep my comments to myself just cause ill probally hurts some peoples feelings

Prude.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Hookecho
10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
240's are ugly.

vip09
10-26-2011, 01:29 AM
S13 hatches look so goofy. Coupe is where it's at.

85gtsblackman
10-29-2011, 09:05 AM
240's are ugly.

S13 hatches look so goofy. Coupe is where it's at.

and imo 5th gen hatches look goofy a gts coupe would have been better, the 6th gen hatch grew on me, yes the 240 coupe would be better for racing porposes but a 3dr car is the mid ground of practicality between a 2dr car and a 4dr.

a ka engine usally last 200 or better if treated right, makes hp and torque has aftermarket support both n/a, turbo and supercharged forms. Also a 240 built with proper parts is also cheaper to build than a celica.

hense why i got one as a daily. i can easily get just about anything, local, not fabbed and dont have to wait for someone to make a part or parts, and also not have to wait for the dealer or vender to find something that is on intergalatic back order.

ill save all the hard stuff for my 3rd gen, a car that isnt common, not many know about anymore, and you gotta fab/adapt most of the mods.

i have love for all model celicas but ive come to a point where im bored with fwd, i want something with a hatch as a daily, rwd, easy to get parts for, and i can enjoy driving, thats cheap. very few cars fit this.

so ill probally use mine as a daily untill i buy another subaru.

ill keep the 3rd gen untill im dead or someone completely kills it. unless im offered 15000 for it. in turn id buy another 3rd gen and cram some sort of toyota/lexus v8 in it, and also restore the car

prophet513
11-01-2011, 05:05 AM
and imo 5th gen hatches look goofy a gts coupe would have been better, the 6th gen hatch grew on me, yes the 240 coupe would be better for racing porposes but a 3dr car is the mid ground of practicality between a 2dr car and a 4dr.

a ka engine usally last 200 or better if treated right, makes hp and torque has aftermarket support both n/a, turbo and supercharged forms. Also a 240 built with proper parts is also cheaper to build than a celica.

hense why i got one as a daily. i can easily get just about anything, local, not fabbed and dont have to wait for someone to make a part or parts, and also not have to wait for the dealer or vender to find something that is on intergalatic back order.

ill save all the hard stuff for my 3rd gen, a car that isnt common, not many know about anymore, and you gotta fab/adapt most of the mods.

i have love for all model celicas but ive come to a point where im bored with fwd, i want something with a hatch as a daily, rwd, easy to get parts for, and i can enjoy driving, thats cheap. very few cars fit this.

so ill probally use mine as a daily untill i buy another subaru.

ill keep the 3rd gen untill im dead or someone completely kills it. unless im offered 15000 for it. in turn id buy another 3rd gen and cram some sort of toyota/lexus v8 in it, and also restore the car

......MY MAN!

85gtsblackman
11-01-2011, 08:02 AM
i swear im going to revamp this car for next to nothing. i got a bed full of free parts that are still good.

craigslist and ebay they go, for the stuff i wont use anyway.

and last week i got a front brake upgrade with big rotors for almost nothing, just needs pads. guy didnt realize it wasnt stock

hobbie2k
11-07-2011, 02:18 AM
I have decided I can never again own a 240SX...

...and it's very sad. Here's why.

My first car was an F-250 that threw a rod a week after I got it. I then bought my dad's '90 240SX hatch (manual, of course). I drove it for years through northern MN winters, even though everyone said I was crazy for not having 4wd, but I never had trouble...til the day a deer ran out in front of me. I hit the brakes, the nose dived, the deer slid up the hood into the windshield, then flew off the roof into the ditch. I was okay, but if I had had a passenger, they would have at least been in the hospital, if not dead. The passenger side roof was crushed back and down, right to where their head would have been. There just happened to be a cop right behind me when it happened and after finding out I was okay, and was actually taking the event fairly well, described to me his view of the deer flying through the air, and rolling into the ditch. He said apart from my car being destroyed, it was one of the funniest things he'd ever seen.

A couple years later I moved to Australia, and after a short stint as the owner of a pristine 2nd gen Celica coupe, imported a genuine JDM S13 Silvia Q's manual (insurance rates for K's are incredible). It was brilliant driving in the mountains above the city, and while it couldn't keep up with the local V8s on the straights, I would be right back on their asses in the corners...till a lady in a BMW rear-ended me at a stop light. Car destroyed. Her comment, "How could this happen, I wasn't even speeding."

I replaced the Silvia with another JDM import, an '88 Nissan Cima Cedric, but eventually had to return to the US. I spent the first few months back in SoCal and decided to look the part so I picked up a '94 240SX convertible. Tragically, all the convertibles are automatics, and shortly after purchasing it, the tranny died, so I wrote a $3000 check on a new, beefed up tranny, assuming I'd maybe turbo the KA eventually. On the way home from the tranny shop, I stopped at a light, waiting to get on the freeway, when a lady in a Tundra rear-ended me at 45mph. She never even bothered to try to brake. There was a red mark on the seat back and on the windshield header where the spoiled tried to take me head off.

Anyhow, I've owned every S13 body style, and while I love them all for their own reasons, I feel for the sake of preserving them, I probably shouldn't own one.

That said, as soon as I can justify and/or afford one, I'll buy it.

prophet513
11-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Anybody have any tips on applying body filler.. vertically?

I've been cutting out the rust and replacing the area with body filler but its so time consuming with the tools i have, especially when i factor in the weather and the application of the body filler.

Its basically like i'm filling a hole from the bottom but its taking FOREVER and it always wants to form stalactites because its hanging down

Car_Barn_Bandit
11-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Body filler needs structure to work best. Large holes or spaces should have metal or lattice work to bond too. You need to tack in metal mesh or use plastic mesh to span holes, then spackle the filler over. Its just like patching a hole in drywall, you can't do it all with goop.

Sent via Imperial Comlink

prophet513
11-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Alright thanks!

I was also wondering about body roll... I feel like my car has more body roll than it should. Of course, it needs a few little suspension parts but I was wondering if there's any simple way to tighten that up a little..

Long term I'm still trying to decide between shocks/springs or coilovers for multiple reasons.

85gtsblackman
11-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Depends on what u want out of it. I highly recommend replacing all the bushings with sprical bushings or poly. U can get kits for the whole car. Sway bars and some wheels would help as well

Car_Barn_Bandit
11-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Also Cincinnati roads suck.

prophet513
11-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Yes Cincinnati roads are TERRIBLE... Anyway yeah I never even thought about sway bars

85gtsblackman
11-21-2011, 07:05 PM
if your not going to autox the thing or dorifto it shocks and springs should be fine, im going to go the same route cause the roads here suck as well, cept im going to look into adjustible shocks

btw make a build thread, i am

prophet513
11-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh yeah true I will... I'm actually considering trying anything with this car. I might try to paint the roof black with spray car paint... I've used it before for other things. It's very smooth, glossy and thick. And of course if it doesn't work out, I'll just go spray it the real way.

And yeah I'm most likely going with shocks and springs.. Do you know what you're getting?

prophet513
11-23-2011, 07:28 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/281wivs.jpg

OKAY I'm thinking about making an intake for my 240 but I have a ...noob... question about my intake.

Its quite a bit different that my MR2 was and than my Celica so I'm kind of confused.

I'm not sure what the piece under the intake box is, surrounded in orange, but maybe its just some hollow plastic thats used as support?

And the red circle is another box, linked to the intake box by a hose... I'm really not sure what to do with all that or if I should mess with it. I don't want to mess something up haha

allTRACway
11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
now i want a rear wheel drive car :(

Luni
11-23-2011, 07:36 PM
The orange box is just a resonator thing. Its to quiet down the intake. As for the red one, not sure. Looks like some sort of Idle control valve or something.

Azzazzyn
11-23-2011, 07:36 PM
240's are ugly.

your mother is ugly, bruce

Azzazzyn
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
i apologize for the giant size and the dirty oily engine bay. but fuck you guys
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/9/9/6/wp_002089.jpg

prophet513
11-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Okay yeah as Luni showed me everyone on some 240 forums says its emissions but that I should plug the holes if I remove everything... Any recommendations for hole plugging? ha

85gtsblackman
11-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Big bolts or big vac caps, just buy an eBay Intake, you will notice an immediate difference

edit: forgot springs imput

well you would be suprized but the cheap "m2" lowering springs on ebay are actaully megans, they have good reviews, for price id get them, and i probally will.

i have h&r on the beater celica, they are great but stiff, really brought out the handling though

i liked my teins on my subie. you can get h techs or s techs, one isnt as low of a drop as the other and the one with the minimal drop have a softer ride,i think they are h techs

i love my tokicos illuminas on my 3rd gen, theres a similar tokico for the 240 but it has more adjustments.

agx's are redily available as well both online and some parts stores

as far as non adjustibles you could run kyb gr2/excel-g and be fine. i like bilstein but for the money id get adjustibles

oh as far as suspension parts i forgot to add front and rear strutbars as well

and adjustible tension rods
and adjustible traction bars
and other stuff n such

you guys still wonder why i got a 240.... :hehe:

prophet513
11-24-2011, 07:23 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1994-Nissan-Silvia-S13-240sx-m2-Performance-Lowering-Springs-/130605411327?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e68b06bff#ht_2743wt_1504

These? haha says they were dyno'd and that they're aerodynamic. But hey if the reviews are good and they're that cheap I am more than down..

Now to be honest I'm more looking for the ability to support a lowered vehicle than an all out handling improvement but of course thats nice too, so staying on the low end price range for decent shocks is what I'm looking at.

But strut bars, can I go cheapo with those?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=240sx%20rear%20strut%20bar&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=12265l13995l1l14174l6l5l0l0l0l2l224l579l1.2 .1l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=if#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=240sx+strut+bar&pbx=1&oq=240sx+strut+bar&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=143181l143469l0l143726l3l3l0l0l0l0l176l467l 0.3l3l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=b0628b6adab11510&biw=1440&bih=785

I really only want a front one though. I like having all the space in the back for bullshittin.

Hookecho
11-24-2011, 07:30 PM
your mother is ugly, bruce

Told you so.

prophet513
11-24-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.amazon.com/KYB-343128-GR-2-Shock/dp/B000C42R4Q

Is this real??

Luni
11-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Looks real to me. Just make sure it is the right number for your car.

prophet513
11-24-2011, 08:33 PM
now would i NEED anything else after that? I want to make sure I do this right... my friend keeps trying to tell me to cut my springs. I want to kill him

prophet513
11-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Okay yeah those won't fit actually :(

and it says these shocks aren't recommended for a car with a drop of more than 1.5" but the m2 springs lower the car 2"

I did find these though http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOKICO-Shocks-Struts-Low-Springs-Suspension-Kit-Combo-89-93-Nissan-240SX-S13-/230672563105?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A240SX%7CYear%3A1993&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b527fba1#ht_4264wt_1185

but of course, way more pricey... I dunno. If I could find another set of springs that wouldn't drop the car 2" but are still recommended I might be leaning more in their direction than this kit

85gtsblackman
11-24-2011, 09:20 PM
springs, shocks/struts, bumpstops, bellows, maybe tophats if yours are worn and or cracking. i know advance auto parts sell the bumpstps with the bellows. some parts sites do as well. you dont absolutly need them but they protect the shaft from the elements.

tools, rent a spring compressor from a parts store

while u have it apart you should use some 93 maxima front calipers and brackets and sentra ser rotors or 1st gen altima rotors.

this is a cheap 11 inch front brake upgrade

the tokicos wouldnt be a bad choice either

oh yeah btw the ebay link u posted about those springs those are the ones

thing is if u buy shocks from the local parts store (avoid monroe and gabrial) and u blow them, they are usally lifetime warrenty so just return em and get new ones

prophet513
11-25-2011, 03:29 AM
i was considering j30 brake upgrades, but not until I NEED them. My brakes now are perfectly fine and actually the best brakes I've ever had on a car. And chances are I won't be doing most of this work... :(

Anyway I might go with a spring/shock kit just to be safe. a 1.5" drop would be perfect for me anyway... not too much to worry about, although the price increases significantly and I'm as poor as I've ever been.

And sorry but what about those strut bars?

... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-89-90-91-92-93-94-240SX-S13-Front-Up-Strut-Bar-/320696714929?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A240SX&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aab0386b1#ht_3475wt_1344 ...?

and damn, the more i look the more i find.

Now here's these http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-Shocks-Struts-Low-Springs-Suspension-Kit-Combo-Nissan-89-94-240SX-S13-90-/320759716644?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3A240SX&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aaec4db24#ht_4033wt_1344

says that they lower it 1.5" ? Ebay man...

Azzazzyn
11-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Coilovers are the way to go. The 240 has a plethora to choose from, some ranging in the 5k price range. Look on nicoclub and zilvia for groupbuys, sales and lots of good used stuff. I only venture on those forums to buy, especially zilvia. They're all elitest dicks

prophet513
11-25-2011, 11:42 PM
If I could find a cheap set of even megan coilovers here in a few months I'd be so happy to buy them.

Would I need a camber kit for a 1.5" drop?

85gtsblackman
11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Here's my opion on shock/spring vs coilover. If your going to dd the car v
With spirited driving and very little track use I'd get a set of good shocks and springs that will last. Coilovers do provide better handing and adjustibility but cost more new. I'd rather have a new suspension than used personally.

As for camber, I'll ask my Nissan expert tomarrow when I call him to bring his axe and log spitter to my house

prophet513
12-02-2011, 01:40 AM
Cool.. I tinted the amber parts of my tail lights red today and scoured the whole car as I am about to primer it's ugly ass.

Time to start my build thread

85gtsblackman
12-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Sweet, I'm going to red out mine as well, your not going to be rice and leave it primer are u? Primer traps water causing rust. On a fun note I'm getting ebaichs tomarrow for 20 bucks

prophet513
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Sweet, I'm going to red out mine as well, your not going to be rice and leave it primer are u? Primer traps water causing rust. On a fun note I'm getting ebaichs tomarrow for 20 bucks

F*** YOU! You're lucky you have it like that down there unless you're BSing haha. You should hook me up!

And now that you say that, I'm not even going to primer it yet, I have no garage and its about 40ish degrees and I don't want to do any sort of halfway paint job especially in that temperature.

And that also leads to rattle can question... Until I have more funds to paint the car with better paint, I think i'm going to rattle can it a darker matte grayish if i can... Would that leave me in the same spot as far as rust? And better yet if i were to sand the car down would i be more at risk if it were left that way for a while?

UtahSleeper
12-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't sand it down unless your going to paint it now. Is there rust issues? Personnally I wouldn't do any paint till you have warmer temps, unless you can get your paint location warm.

Also, any quickie paint job you do now is going to give you more work to do later when you have to remove it later for the real paint. May not be much work, but sanding for me has always been a pain.

85gtsblackman
12-04-2011, 05:54 AM
http://daytona.craigslist.org/pts/2722093717.html

save 200 dollars

prophet513
12-05-2011, 04:24 AM
Man I really should get on those... only thing is I always fear buying blown suspension parts when it comes to craigslist...

This is the color I would like. My car has a lot of dings so being flat wouldn't show off those ares like a glossy color would...

Specifically the one on the first page by 1sikS13 called "forgot this"
http://forums.nicoclub.com/i-need-pic-s-of-flat-black-s13-s-t381112.html

85gtsblackman
12-07-2011, 09:07 AM
pics of current car?

its going to suck when i get mine done due to its been reshot and looks like ass so im going to sand the hell out it then send it off for paint and bondo

prophet513
12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
My phone is ass so when I have time to take pics with the real camera i can.

any tips on what that color might be and if its spray can possible? ha

85gtsblackman
12-08-2011, 09:20 AM
My phone is ass so when I have time to take pics with the real camera i can.

any tips on what that color might be and if its spray can possible? ha

mine? mines black, it was reshot black but florida isnt kind to paint here so the clearcoat is pealing. plus i got a very nice dent/ding free fender to replace the old pushed in psassenger one but.....

its bright effing red

oh well traded some parts for it

easiest color to do on your car would be white, gray, or silver, those usally hide imperfections well. since your going to be cheap just use a wagner power painter or a roller. you can make a 5 footer

prophet513
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
yeah I was thinking about going with an electric painter. Right now mine is silver with primer bumpers and the whole things been scored. and its cold as f*** outside or i'd take some pictures haha...

anyway I REALLY want the color i posted before.. any clue how i could achieve that or something similar for the low? if it was rattle canned I wouldn't care as long as I could match the color decently. done patiently and right a rattle can job can be decent.

85gtsblackman
12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
only thing is for some odd reason silver takes forever to cure. oh and its cold theres so its not the best time to paint

i still got a whole month or 2 that i dont have to worry about that here

prophet513
12-08-2011, 10:18 PM
only thing is for some odd reason silver takes forever to cure. oh and its cold theres so its not the best time to paint

yes.. terrible painting weather. its killing me

prophet513
12-09-2011, 01:45 AM
took a few exterior photos earlier today...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2r3ulhg.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/mmest5.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/29mqb07.jpg

There are the bumpers, the red tail lights (i have one from when they're still amber).....my license plate..... my wheel gap, and that exhaust is a pace setter

85gtsblackman
12-09-2011, 05:11 AM
If it were me, I'd skip the shitty paint work, focus on the problems at hand with the car and save for a decent paint job last.

prophet513
12-09-2011, 05:28 AM
If it were me, I'd skip the shitty paint work, focus on the problems at hand with the car and save for a decent paint job last.

The imperfect look does it for me. Zip tied bumpers, decent paint even chipped.. especially for older cars like this. There are just too many dings and things in the way to dish out the money on a paint job... maybe I'll just put that money into a good looking set of rims ha

85gtsblackman
12-10-2011, 08:06 AM
I ended up with a set for springs for 3 tires and 2 monster energy drinks, I also got a crack free dash for 20 dollars.

See u should move here, until then I'm going to get all the killer deals

prophet513
12-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I ended up with a set for springs for 3 tires and 2 monster energy drinks, I also got a crack free dash for 20 dollars.

See u should move here, until then I'm going to get all the killer deals

I'll just have to hit up my Sarasota family...

85gtsblackman
12-11-2011, 05:06 AM
Jax is just about the cheapest city for 240 parts. Oh go check out the local 240sx.net site

CriScO
12-11-2011, 05:54 AM
BTW guys, I'm working parts for Nissan now, let me know if you need anything.

85gtsblackman
12-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Let see if u r cheaper than my parts guy....

Oil pump for a 93 240sx

CriScO
12-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Lol, there will be shipping involved with me, but I'll see what I can do Monday.

l0ch0w
12-11-2011, 07:18 PM
ive got a j30 vlsd sitting in my garage that i want to sell cheap if you want it...

85gtsblackman
12-11-2011, 09:24 PM
If it's over 100 it's too much, j30 diffs go for 75-150 local and they ate plentiful

prophet513
12-14-2011, 01:06 AM
somebody is offering me most of a turbo kit for 750... damn it, if only i had 750 to blow.

85gtsblackman
12-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Buddy got most everything cept intercooler and bov for 150, turbo is still good

also im getting a sub, amp, and a brand new pair of monroe front shocks for the cheap or trade some stuff i have sitting around for the lot.

if the other 2 pairs of front shocks are good ill let u know probally in the next week or 2 cause im going to start working on the thing while i have time

prophet513
12-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm ready to lower my 240 about 1.5" WHENEVER

85gtsblackman
12-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I take it u got springs

prophet513
12-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Take it as I got nothing, but when somethings ready to be sold to me for cheap I'm ready to buy it

85gtsblackman
12-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I'll sell ya some stock springs as well that you can cut to your desired lenth, oem quality as well

Hookecho
12-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Cut springs? Time to rice it up.

prophet513
12-23-2011, 05:25 PM
I must say I'm good ha. Too many friends suggesting I do that around here. Makes me wanna slap them

prophet513
12-28-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm wondering how much power I can get with i/h/e and a chip.. maybe something little things here and there

Hookecho
12-28-2011, 03:24 PM
10hp?

prophet513
12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
I feel like it'd be a little more maybe.. I'm pretty sure headers do a decent amount because the stock headers are completely emissions based, and a chip would help all those mods do their job

85gtsblackman
12-30-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm wondering how much power I can get with i/h/e and a chip.. maybe something little things here and there

No not 10hp, it's not a Toyota. If the engine is healthy u can get 20 or more, there is a guy in town that chips and tunes the stock ecu. Oh and that's 15-20 hp before the chipped ecu.

Btw I got your pm I'll let my Nissan guy reply to that one as I'm building mine n/a and I'm going to use it as a daily.

Oh and getting a bolt in vlsd for 40 or 75 if the 40 dollar one is gone. Get your arse to jville

prophet513
12-30-2011, 09:44 AM
true.. well I dunno much about chips and ecu tunes.. honestly i'm confused about that in the whole turbo world...

but if I don't do turbo that's what I'm gonna do

85gtsblackman
01-17-2012, 07:30 AM
opps kinda forgot bout this, u still need that info and have u decided which route to go?

btw im getting another ka with a bad head and good bottom end for 20 dollars

the supposedly rebuilt head from the rod kock car will be slapped on and bam, spare engine

Azzazzyn
01-20-2012, 12:47 AM
i/h/e dont give you much at all, its all marketing. they enable you to get more out of it when you put more in to it ie force induction. and a chip wont do shit. you have nothing to use it for.

Hookecho
01-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Shonuff

UtahSleeper
01-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Doesn't it depend on the maps in the ECU? Also how close the stock injectors are to peak load? I was under the impression some motors respond very well to allowing more air through the system as long as the ECU can compensate, which I assume the chips trick allows it to do.

prophet513
01-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah I've said f*** the NA build...

I'm going with a t25 setup and running low boost (10psi MAX) with a simple setup... I'm going to be accumulating parts over time though as I still have to fix it up a tad and take care of the celica as well as live the rest of my life ha..
now I KNOW you can help me there though living in jville ha

prophet513
02-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Still working hard on this bad boy.. been on zilvia a lot lately and trying to pick a color in the next few weeks. also been prepping for paint