PDA

View Full Version : 89 3sge head bolts

jaydog82
10-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I have a friend with a 89 celica gts 3sge, he is having problems with the head gasket and i am having problems finding aftermarket head bolts for him. are the 3sfe and 3sge bolts the same/ are the 3sgte and 3sge of the same year the same?

Thanks jordan

CollapsedNut
10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
3sge same as 3sgte in ARP studs. Thats all I know.

Aaron Willis
10-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I have a friend with a 89 celica gts 3sge, he is having problems with the head gasket...Is he using an OEM Toyota head gasket? Some aftermarket gaskets are good, some are pure cheapness. The Toyota HG is 11115-88362 in case he wants to try that next time.

and i am having problems finding aftermarket head bolts for him. are the 3sfe and 3sge bolts the same/ are the 3sgte and 3sge of the same year the same?
The 3SFE and 3SGE both call for 90110-10006; Gen1 3SGTE calls for 90110-10010. Whether they are so different that you can't use 3SGTE studs on a 3SGE, I don't know.

My concern is that he is resorting to studs to seal a head gasket that should not be failing with stock bolts. That indicates that there is another problem (warped head, poor surface, cheesy gasket, faulty installation, etc) that needs to be corrected. The simple application of brute force may not be the answer.

CollapsedNut
10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Super glue

Aaron Willis
10-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Super glueSilver spray paint!

jaydog82
10-13-2011, 12:49 AM
my concern is if he can re use the original bolts when he changes the head gasket. he was going to use a felpro HG

Aaron Willis
10-13-2011, 12:56 AM
He can reuse the original bolts, though new ones are not necessarily a bad idea.

I always encourage the use of a genuine Toyota head gasket rather than a parts-store replica. Felpro in particular has a very poor reputation among every Toyota owner I've ever spoken with who's used them. Some old timers swear by Felpro, just as they swear by Fram filters and Diehard batteries. Call me cynical but I suspect this allegiance is because they recognize the name from their youth. That does not translate into the product being comparable in quality or reliability to a Toyota gasket - but good luck telling that to an old timer who hasn't changed his mind since 1978...

If he is buying aftermarket parts because they are cheaper, he might want to consider the cost, in both time and parts, of doing the job twice. I know price is important sometimes, but there is a big difference between price (i.e. what you pay) and value (i.e. what you get). Parts store head gaskets just don't seem to work in Toyotas, so we are always extra cautious about this sort of job.

I know you didn't ask for my advice, but there it is just the same.

jaydog82
10-13-2011, 01:09 AM
cool thanks ill relate the info.