PDA

View Full Version : Finding previous owner of a car with the VIN

4thgenceli
10-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Dumbass me lost the title to Jasmine. I bought the car, took the title, moved, then picked up the car. In the move I misplaced the title apparently as it's not with my other titles.

I can get a bonded title on it, but it is a fucking bunch of hoops (and one of those is a notorized bill of sale from the previous owner).

Anybody know how I can find this information with the VIN? It would be less money to give the P/O $50 to get me a new title for the car than dealing with the bullshit of a bonded title.

Terracar
10-11-2011, 07:58 PM
If you know the state/location of the previous owner start there.

I was able to locate the town name of the PO of one of my cars. I was able to locate him using the VIN and the DOL/DMV for that state (state it was last registered) from that I was able to get his address and full name. From there I was able to get in touch with him. The internet is a useful tool for the determined individual.

-Terracar

klapa
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
CARFAX might get you a jump start - there you could get the history and possibly some locations.

You must remember the state the title was issued in - maybe try out the DMV - if you can find the name you might find the person by doing a search.

4thgenceli
10-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I know it was last titled/registered in Arizona (phoenix area). I can pull the last smog tests, but that doesn't give me much information either as far as name/address/etc.

I remember where I bought it from (narrowed it down to 4 or 5 houses). Unfortunately I do not think they live there anymore and vague memory recalls the address on the title didn't match the house they were in (as they just moved or something). I'm getting closer..just not close enough.

ctscott
10-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't know about AZ, but in CT you can simply request a "Duplicate Title" from DMV. In our case, it's one form that has to be notarized and a $25 fee.

4thgenceli
10-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Can't in AZ. Have to be the owner of the car on the title to get a dup. title.

ctscott
10-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Ah, I missed the order of events. I was thinking that you had already registered it and hence had the title transferred to you. In that case, it's the same nightmare here to get a new title. Although, I believe that a signed bill of sale and another notarized document can be used in place of getting the signature of the original owner.

Carfax doesn't give you names of prior owners - Only states where it was registered prior. To get the prior owner's info you would have to contact DMV in the state of interest.

4thgenceli
10-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, which they don't just give that shit out :(

I'm going to tear into the car again & the house hoping to find it...

Luni
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Tim, dont you have a notarized bill of sale?

4thgenceli
10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Nope. If I did, it was with the title.

I have a few options lined up right now, not sure which road I'm gonna take. 1 is a bonded title, 2 is hunt the guy down, or I'll find a clean shell & swap everything into it then scrap both my st162's I have now.

klapa
10-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Yea - finding the title is the best bet - not to mention signing it over when you get it -

Many here in NC don't do that because as soon as you put the title in your name you owe taxes on it - registered or not. I did not transfer the title of my GTS to my name at first - as I bought it to be a parts car for my Alltrac. Yet the more I looked at that rust free GTS and my rusty hulk of an Alltrac, the more I wanted to bring that car back. I almost waited too long - as the notary seal was expired by the time I went to transfer the title. NC is picky about this stuff - but I managed to get out of it by pointing out the the notary seal had not been expired at the time of the sale. So I got out of it - but mainly by being courteous the whole time - plus with all my old cars they know me well anyway.

I think the Az DMV is your best bet. They won't give the original owner name or address because that would violate privacy laws - but they might search for that owner in their database and send the owner a power of attorney for the car on your behalf. With the government workers - you always "catch more flies with honey".

Hookecho
10-12-2011, 12:00 AM
PM me the vin #

Luni
10-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Oh shit the fuzz is in here!

4thgenceli
10-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Hide the weed shaped lollipops!

Hipster Lawrence
10-12-2011, 01:16 AM
The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-12-2011, 01:24 AM
In Ohio, we requested a duplicate title for $35. We weren't the original owners, but the current owners and they made us a duplicate.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

klapa
10-12-2011, 01:54 AM
In Ohio, we requested a duplicate title for $35. We weren't the original owners, but the current owners and they made us a duplicate.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Yea - "current owner" is the word here.

If I understand the situation correctly - the people BurnyD Jr bought the car from are the "current owners" - because he never transferred the title to his name.

Thus any duplicate title must be requested by them - the "current owners" of the body - and thus the car.

4thgenceli
10-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Hah.

Guess I'm the current owner now :P

Timmah found his title!!!

klapa
10-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Good for you! But Timmah ain't the owner till Timmah has a title with Timmah's name on it...

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-12-2011, 03:58 AM
Good lesson to learn, GET THE TITLE IN YOUR FIRST.

CollapsedNut
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
MudHoney still technically belongs to murg, cause Im lazy lol.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-14-2011, 02:21 AM
^Better watch out there, you never know when Murg might show up!