PDA

View Full Version : rear speaker fit

cklamp
10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
What do you have to do to get a pair of speakers to fit in the rear?

Ordered some 6.5" from Crutchfield, they included some "adapters" as the speakers supposedly "fit with bracket" but the adapter bolt holes don't fit the factory locations in my car at all. (every speaker they list for a 91 GT Coupe either "fits with bracket" or "fits with alteration, nothing just "fits".)

That part was an easy enough fix, drill out some new holes. but now the 6.5" speakers are just slightly too big and the basket covers up the stock screw hole locations. I got an arrangement that kind of works, and then the speakers stick out too far and the grills won't go back on...

I've done a search of the celicatech forums and the net, but not sure what my options are. What are other people doing to replace the stockers? Is my only option to step down to a 5.25" speaker?

later
C

tonythesom
10-12-2011, 12:03 AM
what you need is some Pioneer TS-A1782R 6.75-Inch 4-Way 280-Watt Speakers they fit like a charm and sound amazing what more could i say.

cklamp
10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
wow 18 views, 1 response.... Tony, so those will fit in the stock factory locations with no modifications?

The Aholes at crutchfiled are telling me that their database is right, and that no Speakers will fit in the factory locations without modification or an adapter. I don't care about using an adapter if it would work, but I'd rather not modify the crap out of my stock locations.

Later
C

tonythesom
11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
i forgot to mention that i have them installed in the rear of my 90 celica gt no mods needed anymore questions just ask.

Murgatroy
11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I used some Pioneers that dropped right in with no modifications, but this was like ten years ago, I forget what model number or size.

It also makes a difference between coupe and hatchback.

david in germany
11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Personally, I cut the little notch that lined up the din shaped speaker with a razor knife then I cut off that pesky plastic stick that kept the magnets from clearing on deeper speaker from fitting. Then I could run almost any 6.5" woofer that I could find without issue.

cklamp
11-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I exchanged the 6.5's that Crutchfield said would work for some 6.75's hoping if Tony's fit, then the 6.75 kicker's would fit as well, so ordered a set that matched the 4" front's that fit perfectly. The bolt circle wasn't correct, so I drilled it out to the max the basket would take, and it basically fit. It was a little tight, but things went in fine.

The grill's had no issues at that point... Crutchfield is full of fucking moron's though, don't think i'll ever buy from them again.

Later
C

dkrew
11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I have some 6.5 sony speakers I bought a while back from ebay, they fit perfect. I'm pretty sure you can find some on there for a decent price too!