PDA

View Full Version : My car runs like crap any idea as to why?

shreddr69
10-10-2011, 05:50 AM
So my 88 all trac finally runs. It has a 91 JDM 3sgte in it, a turbonetics aftermarket turbo and exhaust manifold set up. We used the st165 ECU and changed over the sensors. The codes that come up are #52 knock sensor, 43 STA signal, ignition switch, 51 TPS, AC switch accelerator cable and 54 intercooler temp. I have a template st165 with all the vacuum hose routing and I tried to follow it as closely as possible. The car has massive hesitation through all gears except first seems to be the least affected and the car goes like a bat out of hell for th initial take off the once it starts acting up runs like crap in all gears as if heat is playing a role, unless I drive like a grandma and even in that case it still stutters. I have replaced the plugs, wires to come, the fuel filter, tried a different mass air flow sensor all to the same result. It's been pretty frustrating and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

joe's gt
10-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Pull your efi fuse or negative battery cable and clear your codes. Then hook it back up start her up and see what codes you get. Fix your codes before trying to troubleshoot further. Your codes are telling you exactly what to troubleshoot. Also, don't push the car until you get it running right.

underscore
10-10-2011, 04:59 PM
the knock sensor and code 54 will hold you back the most, the car will never ever run right with those. Get a new knock sensor and bypass the water to air intercooler check loop (assuming you're now air to air)

also why would you use a 165 ecu on a 185 engine with an aftermarket turbo?

l0ch0w
10-10-2011, 08:44 PM
aside from the knock sensor problems the a2w check codes also throw the motor into safe mode...

shreddr69
10-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Using my stock ECU was the recommendation of my mechanic. I also just discovered my TPS is bad, got that on order. I just bypassed the a2w sensor. The knock sensor problem is not the sensor itself but the wire connector was ripped off. I'm having a hell of a time getting it reconnected, How would you fix that? Thanks again

Luni
10-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Using my stock ECU was the recommendation of my mechanic. I also just discovered my TPS is bad, got that on order. I just bypassed the a2w sensor. The knock sensor problem is not the sensor itself but the wire connector was ripped off. I'm having a hell of a time getting it reconnected, How would you fix that? Thanks again

Id solder the connector back on. It shouldnt be that hard. I believe you SHOULD be able to reroute the wire UP to a higher point so you can actually get a soldering iron to it. If the connector was broken far enough up that its hard to actually get THAT part soldered, Id go to a junkyard, Id find a camry with a knock sensor, or a 7MGE or something like that, Id take the knock sensor from it AND the connector and Id use that to fix my problem.

shreddr69
10-11-2011, 05:12 AM
What year camry should I look for? My mechanic was wanting to just connect the wire to the knock sensor without the clip but there would be no way to keep moisture out. Could I just go get a wire and clip from another celica? Also, if I have a hard time reaching the wire under the motor how would I rewire it??

alltracman78
10-11-2011, 07:44 AM
I already told you how to check/fix 51 in your other thread....
Code 54 SHOULD be fixed by grounding the LVL wire from your ECU.
Code 43 you probably didn't wire right [needs to see 12v signal from the starter wire while in the start position].

As far as your knock sensor, IIRC the pre revision gen II 3S had a different connector on it. If so not all Camrys [if any] will have the right one.
Is the plastic connector itself damaged at all?
If it's not you may want to use it and slide the "new" connector pin into it, that may make life easier.
Or you could grab the sensor as well as the connector, it will screw into the hole.
You have to be patient with the wire, it's a bit of a PITA.