PDA

View Full Version : feedback on these?

lalojamesliz
10-05-2011, 02:43 AM
ive seen some people say the brakes on all-tracs suck and are good for only one good stop and its very true. i would have thought 4 wheel disc brakes would be good on any car but im sure the MASSIVE wheight has something to do with it :( i was looking at these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-CELICA-1990-1991-All-Trac-Turbo-Rotors-pads-F-R-/350491714337?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519aef2321

they let you choose different rotors on the page. i read on here drilled rotors crack but some of these ar just slotted. and they come with brake pads. so do you guys think these will fix the brake fade issue from heat or will these last?

Galcobar
10-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Weight is a requirement for heat absorbtion -- it's why they're made out of very dense materials such as iron rather than something light such as aluminum (neglecting insanely expensive race solutions).

Brake fade can be addressed with proper pads that are meant for use at high temperatures, and proper brake fluid for the same.

As for drilled and slotted rotors...http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?1646-TECH-The-inevitable-quot-Cross-Drilled-Rotors-quot-Thread

lalojamesliz
10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
thank you AGAIN Galcobar lol :)

KoreanJoey
10-07-2011, 04:46 AM
I tend to stay away from drilled rotors as they ALL crack. Don't worry about the rotors. Worry about the pads and also the brake fluid. Heat is the enemy here. With the weight of the alltrac you're having to convert a lot of momentum into heat. A good brake pad like EBC Yellows, Carbotech AX6 and Hawk HP+ are all much better for sustained hard braking. All of the options I've listed are going to be louder and probably dust more than the stock pads. Some also don't do well when they're cold.

But to be honest, if you're just driving around from point a to point b, stock pads with a good high temp brake fluid is probably your best bet. Unless you're doing some serious canyon carving or going onto a track you'll probably not have to worry about taxing the brake system too much.

And brake fade is a problem for many vehicles out of the factory, not just the alltrac. But it doesn't happen instantly, but the drop in brake performance does come up pretty quickly with the alltrac.

But like I said, it's more a matter of how you drive. I've driven cars that the owners thought had great brakes but once they were really taxed the heat took it's toll on them in a single 60 second autocross pass. The alltrac was one of these, but so is an early WRX.

If you've not experience brake fade I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you have (and you'd know) then I'd upgrade.

lalojamesliz
10-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the reply Joey.Well i have experienced brake fade a couple times in my all-trac. The first time i had plenty of space to stop even with brake fade but the second time i nearly crapped my pants. I've haven't flushed my brake fluid in the 14k miles I've owned my all-trac and i don't know about the previous owner. When i replaced the rotors and pads all around one of the bleed nipples was stuck and left it alone. I lube it the next few days with some liquid wrench to see if it frees up. So what brake fluid do you recommend? I just drive around town but the speed limits in my town are 40-55mph and i usually go a bit faster and make quick stops sometimes. Ill check out those pads also.

jaydog82
10-10-2011, 03:28 PM
ATE super blue brk fluid and ebc red stuff pads :)