PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Parts are great - but the service is YOUCH!

klapa
10-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I was just buying he seals and snap rings I need to complete the parts for replacing my front wheel bearings. I also ordered new dust covers for the front knuckles. I already have the bearings.

So I thought - why not check with the service department on them pressing the bearings?

So - the "estimate" for pressing these bearings - with me bringing in the knuckles and all the parts - is $198 per wheel! However - if it turns out to be easy to get the inner race off the old hub - the price might be as low as $100 per wheel. Then - if I wanted to get new hubs - it would only be $90 per wheel.

I know it must cost allot to run a service department - but darn - this seems really high to me. I'm either gonna find a better price, try pressing them off myself, or just keep driving on my 200K mile bearings.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I had an independent shop do mine and I forget exactly how much it was but including parts it was a lot less than what they quoted you for just pressing the bearings. I'd shop around.

Lonestag
10-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I try to stay away from dealerships and large chain operations. In my mind it's a simple case of the locations overhead costs elevating the costs of all their services. That and to some one doing a repair on a 08 model car and not a 92, that price makes a little more sense.

The Captain
10-01-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

Hookecho
10-01-2011, 05:53 PM
My local machine shop charges $20 per hub.

klapa
10-01-2011, 06:11 PM
My local machine shop charges $20 per hub.

Yup - that is about what I would expect - Maybe even $40 per wheel if the inner races are particularly difficult on the old hubs.

$100? Ridiculous!

I will first try to press them at work - we have an mechanical arbor press with allot of leverage - but it won't do even 10 tons even with Archy (the local muscle guy at work) on the lever - and reading around I have seen where many could just press the thing right out with little problems - and others needed to heat the thing cherry red while using a 20 ton press and still had difficulty to get it out.

I don't have access to a Oxyacetylene torch - but do have a MAPP gas torch - so I will heat it up and try to press it at work with Archy at the wheel.

In the meantime - I will seek out other estimates - it would be better for somebody to do it that knows what they are doing - I have ~$70 in each bearing - not counting the seals, snap rings, and other sundry parts.

We will see...

DudeMan
10-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I work at a dealership.. You would be amazed by the shit they pull.

Hipster Lawrence
10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I think $50 or 1/2 hour per wheel is completely reasonable if you bring them in clean. I don't see how a machine shop can do it for 20. That's what I charge my mr2 friends when o do it on the side.

Luni
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
I have a local shop by me that charges like 30 per hub. I pull off the spindle/hub assy, take them the new parts, etc and 60ish dollars later I have 2 pressed bearings.

temperacerguy
10-02-2011, 06:03 AM
my machine shop charges $20 each and does it while I wait... maybe 10-15 minutes for both with his pneumatic/hydraulic press.

However now I do it with my harbor freight hydraulic press.