PDA

View Full Version : Long time out,Emissions inspection question

Boycott!Swagger
09-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Firstly it has been a long time since I've been on, I recently bought a 2005 subaru legacy gt, but I don't enjoy it as much as I was hoping, so I want to go back to the ole celica again.

So my smelica has a 92 jdm 3sgte which I'm fairly sure won't pass emissions. I live in broomfield colorado and I want to know what I can do to make the engine pass emissions? I'm not so sure I want to buy a dummy engine, so any exhaust work I can do or anything?

Likely a badly worded question, but any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

The Captain
09-30-2011, 12:34 AM
What do they visually check for? If they just look for a cat and you have one you should be fine.

My JDM passes every time with very low numbers. I have a Random Tech cat midstream and nothing in the downpipe.

Galcobar
09-30-2011, 12:36 AM
If the engine is in good condition and no parts were removed -- such as the catalytic converter -- during the swap, the only way it should not pass is if your jurisdiction requires an EGR. Japanese emission regulations are just as tight or tighter than those you'll find in North America. They just use different equipment to achieve the same tailpipe standards.

Galcobar
09-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Just looked up Air Care Colorado and they don't seem to specify in the test description what equipment is actually required (a cat is a given, it's the EGR which is a question). Maybe give them a call to ask if it's required.

CriScO
09-30-2011, 01:00 AM
They do check for the EGR as well. That should be the only problem, if it's tuned up properly it'll blow clean.

burnyd
09-30-2011, 01:25 AM
egr is generally just a visual inspection. As long as its there and plugged in.... atleast in PA.

Boycott!Swagger
09-30-2011, 01:41 AM
I'm running a stock tune on the ecu, nothing fancy. So, what do I do about the egr

Boycott!Swagger
09-30-2011, 01:42 AM
Well let me reword this, They hook up the whole hose to the exhaust and run it and such, I just want register and drive my car again lol. The only real mod is a t3/t4 with supporting mods and such. If it doesn't pass they should tell me what i need to do to get it fixed and I will do such accordingly I suppose. I really appreciate the help guys

Boycott!Swagger
09-30-2011, 01:57 AM
The engine does not have an egr :S. Thoughts?

UtahSleeper
09-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I would say just go and get it tested. Alot of places/people are not going to spend alot of time looking for the EGR. Here they never look for an EGR, in my experience. Do you have reasons to think it won't pass the sniff test?

So, if they don't look for an EGR you should be fine. Or you can get a garbage EGR and make it look like it's installed lol.

Boycott!Swagger
09-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Well, they didn't look for the egr on the legacy but it's a bone stock car. My celica is more obvious that it's not stock.

joe's gt
10-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Does your state require that the engine swap be from the same year or newer than your current car like CA?

The Captain
10-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Tell them it's behind the intake manifold and you have no check engine light. You'll be fine.

CriScO
10-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Tell them it's behind the intake manifold and you have no check engine light. You'll be fine.
Contrary to popular belief, Colorado cannot fail you for a check engine light. That policy was revoked years ago, though no one seems to know it.

I know you have no need to know/care Cappy, that's just one of my buttons. People still come to my store and mention it, and it's been gone for like a decade.

CriScO
10-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Does your state require that the engine swap be from the same year or newer than your current car like CA?
Technically, but there is more wiggle room for same generation vehicles. I.E. a 92 could have a 90 3S-GTE since the motors had identical emission controls. Basically if the equipment is there they won't investigate further.

Boycott!Swagger
10-01-2011, 05:54 PM
So crisco, if I haven't an egr what would you recommend?

The Captain
10-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Contrary to popular belief, Colorado cannot fail you for a check engine light. That policy was revoked years ago, though no one seems to know it.

I know you have no need to know/care Cappy, that's just one of my buttons. People still come to my store and mention it, and it's been gone for like a decade.

I know they can't, but wouldn't it give suspicion to the person giving the test to investigate a little further? A lot of the independent test facilities in GA wouldn't know an EGR from an EIEIO.

And you know I like rubbing your buttons.

CriScO
10-01-2011, 07:02 PM
So crisco, if I haven't an egr what would you recommend?
I'd take it in and hope you get a new guy who doesn't know. If they do notice, you've got a week for a free retest to dummy one up.

T-spoon
10-03-2011, 01:25 AM
It's all very subjective. Depends not just on the state, but the exact facility and tester, like Crisco mentions. I took the supra in to see if it would pass just as-is - it's only $15 bucks, so no big deal either way. It didn't pass the idle portion (did pass cruise) but I even told them exactly where the engine came from (Aristo 2JZGTE), and they didn't care at all (other than to think it was cool). Didn't check for cat, didn't check for EGR, nothin. Same when I took the 165 w/JDM 3s in. They didn't even check for EGR.