PDA

View Full Version : DIY Bead Roller

Sang
09-29-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm sure some/most of you have at least heard a reference to making your own bead roller if not having one of your own, but I didn't see it in this board so I'll put up a pic of mine.

Just got it welded by a friend locally, use a small, but thick washer. And also vice grips and an exhaust clamps. I'm using 2.5" tube so I used a 2.5" clamp.

The beauty is in the simplicity (and cost effectiveness):
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/Sang_Han/2011/BeadRoller1.jpg

For what it costs, i'm more than happy with these beads. Takes some effort to do it all the way around the pipe, but it's a trade-off I can live with :)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/Sang_Han/2011/BeadRoller2.jpg

-Sang

temperacerguy
09-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Very cool DIY project.

DudeMan
09-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Is it absolutely necessary to bead the intercooler piping for a front mount?

temperacerguy
09-30-2011, 01:25 AM
it's not "absolutely necessary" meaning that the car will function. HOWEVER without a bead rolled, the only thing holding the couplers to the piping is the friction between the coupler and the piping (which is dictated by the clamps) Even with the best T-bolt clamps, the constant pressurizing and depressurizing the system, along with the engine movement can make the couplers slip off the pipe. Placing a bead on the pipe will prevent this from happening.

and I guarantee you, the pipe/coupler that will blow, will always be in the most inaccessible place, and it will happen in the middle of the night, on a desolate road, with no cell signal or tools while you're with a girlfriend you just got in a fight with.

Sang
09-30-2011, 02:05 AM
I would be more inclined to put beads on EVERYTHING if I were running a front mount. If a coupler pops off it's not the end of the world in a mr2 using a side mount...had to do one at 10PM in the country, no street lights, and a couple screw drivers. Only took me a few minutes ;)

If you can't put a bead on it using this or a roller, then I would highly recommend using epoxy or jb weld. Lay a bead of it around the ends and let it cure. Wont look pretty but who's gonna know once the coupler is on? My IC pipes never popped off running as much as 19-20psi, jb weld on the ends, and some cheapo $12/10 worm drive clamps from Lowes.

4thgenceli
09-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Making that roller is really simple. I did it myself when I did my front mount.

beaded all the pipes, t-clamps ain't goin' nowhere.

Plus, you can grind off the plates and have use of a pair of vice grips again.

Sang
09-30-2011, 06:55 PM
I ended up buying some $5 grips from harbor freight to replace the one I used. I'm sure it'll come in handy again one of these days.

cms-gt4
10-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Awesome idea.

ChrisD
10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Yep I've made one of those too, same design. Works great. For the cost and effectiveness I would always do this on any fmic project.