PDA

View Full Version : 91 Celica GT-S

Fades24
09-29-2011, 03:37 AM
Bought the car a few months a go, ran great until now. So far ive replaced the thermostat(after replacing it the AC/heater stopped working), strut mount, and power steering resevoir. I was driving today and smoke was coming out of the engine, i see the oil leaking at the bottom but can find the source. The radio, sideview mirrors, clock, interior lights stopped working. Tomorrow ill try to fix the oil leak, but dont know where to start after that, any advice?

UtahSleeper
09-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Have you verified it's oil? Are you losing oil?

I would pop the hood and start the car and see where the smoke starts from.

ctscott
09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
+1 on verifying if it is oil. A sudden smoking leak could mean power steering fluid squirting from one of the high pressure hoses.

On the radio, clock, and light issue, check the 20A DOME fuse box next to the battery.

Fades24
10-01-2011, 03:28 AM
It starts to smoke after i drive the car about 10-15 minutes.
The gasket to the power steering cap dissolved into the reservoir, which is why i replaced the reservoir. now the cap feels loose, could air be getting in?

Doowstados
10-01-2011, 08:44 AM
It starts to smoke after i drive the car about 10-15 minutes.
The gasket to the power steering cap dissolved into the reservoir, which is why i replaced the reservoir. now the cap feels loose, could air be getting in?

Air getting in wouldn't cause smoke. Something is leaking and burning off. Unlikely that air is getting in, my cap has always felt loose but I have no problems with PS.

UtahSleeper
10-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I am thinking possible PS leak. So, are you losing oil or PS fluid? I would say just do some investigating. You can probably so some moisture where it's leaking.

Fades24
10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Havent been able to work on the car due to the weather here but today is a great day to get my hands on it, well see how it goes

Fades24
10-08-2011, 04:18 AM
After working on the car i found that my brake reservoir is seriously contaminated, i bled all the brakes but the line from the reservoir is clogged. what can i do to flush the line?

UtahSleeper
10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Not sure of any good way to clean it except to actually remove and clean/rebuild.

Fades24
01-26-2012, 01:24 AM
After months I was finally able to work on the car again. It seems like the master cylinder and the ps pump are both leaking. There are also two sensors on the water outlet housing which need to be replaced.
How hard is it to replace the master cylinder & ps pump??

UtahSleeper
01-26-2012, 06:22 AM
PS pump can be a pain in the ass. Limited space, but should be manageable. So, it is the pump, or a line going to it?

MC will be easy. If anything like my Rolla, it took me a whole 15 min to remove the old one, and that was not rushed. Will probably take more time to bleed all the brakes after.

Fades24
01-28-2012, 11:33 PM
its the pump, i havent been able to get my hands on another one so i cant replace it yet. I found a website that would rebuilt it but am unsure whether thats the best way to go. what do you think?

CollapsedNut
01-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Just go to a local parts store and fork out the $100-$150 for one and be done.

l0ch0w
01-29-2012, 06:12 PM
They also are not that hard to rebuild... you can purchase a full rebuild kit directly from toyota for not too much $$$

Fades24
02-10-2012, 04:05 AM
So I got under the car on tuesday and finally found the source of the leak. I had thought it to be the pump but its not. Its the pressure hose that goes to the pump. Ordered the part for tomorrow so i can hopefully replace it. Would I have to drain the fluid??