PDA

View Full Version : Resources to value a car

4thgenceli
09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Trying to get my ducks in a row before shit hits the fan. I'm looking for resources to counter the insurance company when they return with the car value. I know they're going to total it, just a matter of how much $$ I'm getting for it.

There is nothing local with the car. Only 1 or 2 st162's local but they don't run (blown gaskets/etc). KBB doesn't list my car either. NADA does, but I doubt I'll get what NADA shows.

Any other suggestions where to look? It's my '87 GTS LB 150k miles, previous damage was passenger side door that was bondo'd (no other body damage).

temperacerguy
09-26-2011, 09:51 PM
The only thing you can do is look for "comps" in the area. If the phoenix market doesn't show anything, do a larger search. look on auto trader, edmunds, KBB and the like. Make sure that the comps are the same model, transmission, and options as yours.

4thgenceli
09-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah that's what I have been doing. All that I found are 89's that are in shit shape (500-1000 and not running or barely running). So far found an '87, but it's a GT convertible. Just a bit different than my GTS liftback.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Ask a local used car dealer for resources...

temperacerguy
09-26-2011, 11:21 PM
you're basically just going to have to find what the retail/wholesale value of your car are, and to justify how much you think it's worth.

When the SCC project MR2 burned, State Farm wanted to pay me the value of a basic MR2. I hired a forensic apraiser to show what the real value of the car was , and it went to arbitration.

If your values are TOO far off, it will have to go to arbitration, at which point the professional opinion of their valuation officer and his documentation, is against your amateur opinion and your documentation. Sorry Dude, your documentation better be spot on, showing what it SOLD for, not for what was the asking price. cause I could have a million people asking for a million dollars for a widget, but if it sells for a dollar, it's worth a dollar.

4thgenceli
09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
That's what I'm running into. Only found 3 or 4 1987 GTS liftbacks for sale (none sold). Prices 500-700 bux. There is an '87 GT vert in PA for $6950 though and numerous '89's for sale around 1500.

amx
09-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Who's the insurance company? If you can't find anything comparable in the market, then they may be forced to go with NADA. I just had to go through this with esurance and the All-Trac, and settled for NADA value because there were no comps in their network. As far as resources, your best bet are the big sites like autotrader, or used car dealers nationwide. You can try private listings (e.g. craigslist), but in my case, they wouldn't consider any of the ones I provided.

This probably goes without saying, but it's also a really good idea to start gathering every receipt for every purchase you've ever made for your car.