PDA

View Full Version : Gen 7 amp bypass, help

crymson
09-25-2011, 01:39 AM
So, I bought a new head unit for my car, and got the car all apart. And then came the "ah... yes," moment, I couldn't use the simple wiring harness that I had bought. So, after a good deal of googling I've decided the best thing to do is to bypass the amp all together. Down the road I'll do a full speaker and amp replace, but not today. So, it looks like what I need to do is cut the larger of the two harness that plug into the amp and splice it according to this link (http://www.celicahobby.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/19076/Audio%20System%20Wiring%20Codes,%20GT-) to the harness that came with my stereo (obviously with some wire between). Does anyone have experience doing what I'm doing, or a suggestion to do it another way (other than buying a new amp).

Luni
09-25-2011, 05:32 AM
That link doesnt tell the whole story.

I did a writeup on this once... somewhere, but its gone. I think at some point in time it was moved over here from celica.net but I think in a server move I lost it.

I honestly dont have the wire codes, but Ill tell you this. The premium stereo has 8 speakers. 6 of the 8 are in the front. You have to run the front speakers in a series/parallel configuration, and its not that hard. You cut the amp harness out, and you use a 9 volt battery to find your speakers (when you connect pos and neg of battery to a speaker lead, the speaker will click).

Ill bet theres tons of info on newcelica.org about it. I wish we had something here but we dont.

crymson
09-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Are the door speakers coaxial? because all I can find are two tweeters and the two 6.5's in the doors, and the two 6.5's in the back. Or was there a six speaker setup offered in 01?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, the 4's are mounted on top of the 6.5's. I feel dumb...

donteatbugs
09-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes, The door speakers are coax. lol

I dont remember all the wire colors either but what i did was to make a 4ft extension harness from the new radio over to the amp harness and pulled the wires out of the amp harness and hooked them up according to the bgb to the new harness i made from the radio. Its a lot of work but i can go back to stock without any cutting.

donteatbugs
09-26-2011, 08:02 PM

I dont remember all the wire colors either but what i did was to make a 4ft extension harness from the new radio over to the amp harness and pulled the wires out of the amp harness and hooked them up according to the bgb to the new harness i made from the radio. Its a lot of work but i can go back to stock without any cutting.

vip09
09-26-2011, 11:40 PM

crymson
10-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I finally found a harness, which is coincidentally for a Mitsubishi (If anyone wants I'll find a part number) and hooks into the amp harness and has RCA plugs for the preamp outs on the stereo. It hooks up except for the dimmer wire, which isn't a problem for me because the orange out on the stereo is a little dull, but it matches the illumination on the dash.