PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Earthquake Impact Wrench

Doowstados
09-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Bought one a couple days ago and used it to do a tire rotation today.

Freaking amazing. Just as a "test," I threw it on my Crank Pulley nut today to see if it would take it off (since I'm doing my timing belt this weekend anyway). It took literally six seconds before it came loose. It hadn't been touched in over 70,000 miles.

All for $79.99 with a 20% off coupon. Freakin' sweet! I highly recommend it for you guys who need a high torque impact on the cheap.

187flatliner
09-20-2011, 03:14 PM
you paid 79.99....for a test........wish i had that type of test money.

Luni
09-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Its a great impact.

Hookecho
09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Yup

celica9303
09-20-2011, 07:53 PM
CHicago pnuematic?

Luni
09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Central Pneumatic. Earthquake. Baby Bears favorite power tool.

Doowstados
09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
you paid 79.99....for a test........wish i had that type of test money.

Wasn't for a test, you misunderstood me. It's actually my only impact tool. I just finally got around to buying a compressor and an impact wrench, and I was on a budget so I got the cheapest thing I could get that still had decent power. Wasn't disappointed in the least. I was kind of "meh" about air tools before because I could always just use a big breaker bar, but in my little one car garage I came to realize that a breaker bar isn't always feasible.

Anywho, I was saying that since I plan on doing my timing belt this weekend I wanted to see if it would have enough torque to break the bolt loose, so I tested it out when I was doing my tire rotation.

Carolina91GT-S
10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Does the earthquake put out more torque than the electric one? I have the electric one and love it but We have an engine out of one of the 5th gens right now doing a reseal and I can't get the crank pulley nut to budge. Been 3 days trying it multiple times per day, been hitting it until the wrench needs to cool down, no joy yet. I have a compressor so I could go with a pneumatic one if it works better.

What Psi is you compressor set to put out?

~Chris

Hookecho
10-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I have the 3/4 inch drive Earthquake and it breaks the crank pulley bolt loose with ease. It has a max torque of 1400ft.lbs and needs a consistent 90psi. You need a large compressor to drive it. I tend to keep my line pressure at 130psi anyway.

I'm not sure if the 1/2 drive version will do that. It only bolsters 700ft.lbs max torque.

david in germany
10-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I bought the same one about 5 years ago based on (iirc) Luni's reccomendation. It is a great tool for the price!

Luni
10-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Yep DIG tWas me. Mine still works like a boss.

alltracman78
10-31-2011, 12:19 AM
So they do have some balls?
I wonder how they'll hold up to day after day work. I was actually thinking about a 1" air ratchet.

I've been debating about picking up some of these for the trains. The shop only has a couple of guns and I'm not bringing my good stuff in here.
But I've seen guys break a lot of Harbor Freight stuff while other stuff has been pretty good so I've been hesitant to buy the more expensive stuff.

temperacerguy
10-31-2011, 12:29 AM
There are a few harbor freight "Gems" I have this impact wrench, and tend to use it VERY VERY seldom... I typically only use impacts when breaking apart suspensions. When I do use it, it works like a champ

Another Harbor Freight Gem is the Vertical/Horizontal 4x6 bandsaw. Out of the box, it's pretty crappy, but after changing the blade, cleaning out the gear box and using a good oil, then adjusting the blade guides, this bandsaw will cut through ANYTHING. I tossed a piece of 1" 321 stainless bar stock in it, and it cut a perfectly clean, straight cut.

alltracman78
10-31-2011, 12:33 AM
That's the thing with them, some stuff is great, especially for the money you pay.
Other stuff is absolute crap [more rather than less], and sometimes It's a crapshoot which you'll get.

Doowstados
10-31-2011, 01:37 AM
After having used this probably 2-3 times a week since I bought it, it's holding up really well. Rips any bolt or nut off with no issue. I used it to do my timing belt and my friends timing belt on his civic and the crank bolts zipped off easily at 95-100 PSI (didn't try at 90, probably could have managed). Also did one of my axles with it, ripped a CV nut off easy too. No complaints except for the fact that the lowest speed forward setting seems to have quit working, but from what I understand that's common with these guns and will probably be the only problem I ever have with it. Definitely a good buy w/ a 20% off coupon.

Luni
10-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Jeremy, my impact gets tossed around my garage. It gets used ALOT. I havent lubricated the fucker the WHOLE time Ive owned it. The gun seems like its pretty damn well made. And it has some balls. If youre concerned about LOTS of torque, might wanna go for the 3/4 one like Bruce has, but the 1/2 one Ive got, has never failed to remove/break a bolt Ive thrown it on. Its a damn good impact, especially for the money.

For what it costs, I think it would be worth it for you to try it out for your job.

alltracman78
11-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Cool :), I've been debating about the 3/4". I'd probably get that one first, and a 1/2" air ratchet.
Get the 1/2" later for smaller stuff.

I'll probably try to dig up a few 20% off coupons and see if I can get in on a sale or something.
I'll just have to find somewhere to store them, the box they give us is rediculously small.

Carolina91GT-S
11-04-2011, 03:05 PM
The electric one puts out 240 ft/lbs of torque so yeah the earthquake puts out more. I looked at the 3/4" one but $275 was a bunch. Maybe I will try the 1/2" version