PDA

View Full Version : 1991 celica gt convertible with STEREO/AMP issues.....

jpgilbert
09-15-2011, 04:43 AM
Hello, I recently bought my cherry red 1991 celica convertible from my parents in Minnesota and drove it back to Santa Monica in 2 days. It drove incredibly well considering it is 20 years old, I guess that's what garage storage will do. I drove it from Minneapolis to Vail, and then Vail to Santa Monica. Couldn't believe it but it got 29 mpg at one point during the trip. I've since realized that 21 in city is about average now because of all the accelerating. Anyway, I really love my Celica except for one thing......... the cd player doesn't work and the speakers don't all work. The stereo has a cd player AND tape deck, and there's an amp under the seat so I know that it could sound great if I could figure out what to do. Should I look into an original replacement amp, or stereo head? How hard are they to find? and is it possible to salvage the one I have?? Sincerely, John Paul

p.s. I'm a little upset right now because I brought it into best buy and they didn't tell me that the speakers on the doors wouldn't work with a new stereo head, and the notion of driving around with speakers on the doors that DON'T work seemed grotesque to me....yuck. kills the zen I believe this car has so I just wasted 85 much needed bucks to have them put the semi-working head back in. You live and you learn I guess. Please help and thanks again!! :bigthumbu

The Captain
09-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately, to fix the OEM head unit would cost you more than a new one. Even if you could find some place to do it. The only way is a complete system replacement. Head unit, amp and speakers. Like you said, it's a 20 year old car.

Doowstados
09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
You can wire the door speakers to work fine with the new head unit. Just trace the wires and splice them in.