PDA

View Full Version : 3SGE lightened flywheel and tranny-swap ?'s..

JDMjosh
04-29-2005, 06:52 PM
I've got an '87 GT-S with an '89 JDM 3SGE engine. I did the swap myself, and recently I blew second gear, then jammed it into reverse and it wont come out.

So I ordered a trans-axle from the good people at RisingSunEngines, same place where I bought my enigne.

(By the way, these guys are pros. My engine came from their warehouse in Cali to my house in Canada over ONE WEEKEND, shrink-wrapped to a crate, steam-cleaned head and a freshly painted block!! I was F'n' impressed.)

I'd like to do the tranny swap in four days, (this monday) so any help you guys can toss me would be premium!

Anyway, my first question in a series of MANY, is this:

I'm getting my flywheel re-surfaced before I put the tranny in. I'd like to get it lightened as well but i've been warned about how much weight to take off and the fact that it must be perfectly balanced or you'll blow your engine.

I was told the would have to take my engine apart and weight each piece, each piston, etc... to find the correct amount of lbs to take off the flywheel.

Too much work. I was also told not to take off any more than three lbs or it would be too light.

Does anyone have complete specs on this engine? ('89 3SGE) Or has anyone with this engine ever lightened their flywheel?

Also, if anyone can reccomend any tricks or pointers when I do this tranny swap and fhywheel job, It would be appreciated!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jdmjosh <---Here's some pics of my engine

swap.. It was 2 years ago, so don't mind the hair or the baby face.

JDMjosh
05-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Seriously, has noone ever lightened the flywheel on a 3SGE?...

I'm starting my tranny swap on Tuesday, so if I cant find any help with thsi info before then, I just won't bother.. :(

DanTheMan
05-02-2005, 02:30 AM
waaaaay too risky man.....seriously

JDMjosh
05-02-2005, 03:59 AM
Fair nuff,.. thanks, my friend.

Maybe i'll save the job for when I rebuild my spare engine,..

Word.