PDA

View Full Version : '81 Celica Liftback Project 56K warning

MorgzMods
09-12-2011, 11:47 AM
The car was a gift from my grandpa. It's in relatively good condition and has only done 90k km's.

Hopefully this thread will be a nice way to keep track of everything i'd done to it.

I am incredibly new to the whole car thing. I'm due to get my p's in two months at the max.

I would post some pics, but apparently i have to be a member for 7 days first -.-

Pics soon to come!

Inside wise it needs new carpet, reupholstered seats, and the plastic bits could use a splash of paint.

Running wise there is a fairly long list that i am aware of so far:
Engine orientated:

Vacuum leaks from intake manifold
Engine oil leaks
Misiring at idle/startup
Front brake hose split

Steering/Suspension:

steering box requies adjusting
Front and rear shocks leak
Inner tie rod ends worn
lower inner control arm bushes worn
Pitman arm worn

Misc:

Drivers seat broken
radio aerial
Battery failed load test
W/screen wiper leaks at t hub
Plastic covers at the base of the boot and that cover the latch are broken

And what i've done so far:

Replaced all spark plugs
replaced most bulbs
Replaced radiator cap

I'm planning on getting the car down to a mechanic this week for a further inspection and a quote.

If anybody has any thoughts/comments/suggestions please feel free to comment or contact me :)

Doowstados
09-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Mechanic is gonna rape you for all that stuff. Start learning! If you do it all yourself, we can help!

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Mechanic is gonna rape you for all that stuff. Start learning! If you do it all yourself, we can help!

+1

You have us as a resource. Use the search, or donate a little $$ and get access to factory repair manuals. The wealth of information here is amazing.

MorgzMods
09-13-2011, 08:56 AM
thanks for the encouragement guys :)

i've also made a thread in the toymods 'Forum member rides' so it seems there is a pretty big number of people that have a solid understanding of what they're doing to help me out.
If you want to locate it, my username is also MorgzMods

I know it must sound silly, but what's the best way to go about degreasing my engine? Can it be done in my driveway? i've read somewhere that you're supposed to catch the runoff and dispose of it in a manner other than tipping it down a drain.