PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen manifold fits 2nd gen engine?

klapa
09-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I was wondering if the 3rd gen 3SGTE exhaust manifold with 9 bolts would fit properly to a 2nd gen engine with the manifold that has 7 mounting bolts?

I did some very rough measurements with a tape measure that seem to indicate that it would bolt up - but I have not trial fitted it.

Luni
09-10-2011, 05:32 PM
No maam. Gen3 manifolds are different than Gen2 ones. They will not fit.

But keep in mind that there are 2 revisions of Gen2. Rev1s only have 7. Rev2s have 9. Those ARE interchangeable.

klapa
09-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Well - mine has 7 bolts - so the 9 bolt manifold I have will not fit.

Guess I'll try to sell it - lucky I didn't pay much for it....

Luni
09-11-2011, 03:07 AM
If it's off a 2nd gen it works. You obviously won't be able to use the other 2 bolts but it works. Easiest way to know would be to take off your heat shield and see if it goes on. If it does you're good.

90-91 usdm cars got the 7 bolt. 92-93 got the 9 bolt. They are interchangeable mounting wise.

Question is why do you need an extra?

alltracman78
09-11-2011, 05:08 AM
9 Bolt will work on your head. You can even add the 2 extra studs.

But, your alt bracket won't fit with the 9 bolt manifold. Only an alt bracket made for the 9 bolt manifolds will work.
A 9 bolt bracket will work with a 7 bolt manifold tho.
Make sense? :)

Also, FYI all rev 1 got 7 bolt, all homologation got 7 bolt, and early [most/all 92] rev 2 got 7 bolt. Most/all late rev 2 [93 only?] got 9 bolt.
I've only seen 9 bolt on 93 engines.

9 Bolt is nicer I guess, less chance of it warping [not very likely IMO], but only if you use the extra 2 studs.
It's also 2 more studs to break/strip if you do use them. :shrug:

klapa
09-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the answers guys.

Luni - I don't need an extra manifold for my Alltrac. I bought a manifold and downpipe for $60 here because the price was good and I need one for this built 1st gen 3SGE I plan to put in my GTS this winter. It came with nearly everything I would need to make a halftrac - but NO downpipe. it has an ICS T3 turbo with the ST165 type exhaust flange and an external wastegate. There is no place for the O2 sensor or the wastegate dump. I was looking around for a downpipe and have found the only one available cost $300! It is made by some Austrailian company and seems to only be available through "935 Motorsports". This 3SGE engine has six bolts in the head for an exhaust manifold but has the 7-bolt turbo manifold on it. So I think for this engine I will just get an NA manifold and start out that way using the 5S ECU.

Yet the manifold on my Alltrac is really rusty and ugly and there is at least one broken stud on the head - so I wondered if I could use this pretty chrome manifold I have.

l0ch0w
09-22-2011, 04:31 AM
A real gen 3 manifold has 8 bolts...

9 bolts were used on the JDM 93+ motors. All gen 2 heads have the spot on them where you can tap out, or just add studs to make them 9 bolt heads...

temperacerguy
09-22-2011, 05:06 AM
A real gen 3 manifold has 8 bolts...

9 bolts were used on the JDM 93+ motors. All gen 2 heads have the spot on them where you can tap out, or just add studs to make them 9 bolt heads...

That's a negative Ghost Rider

9 bolts were not only 93+JDM motors, all SW20/22 93-95 MR2s had the revision 2 head. (not sure of celicas)

As for just drilling the revision 1 head for 9 bolt... The castings are different. On the front of the head, there's no "meat" on the head on the 91-92 exhaust heads where this would happen... just a void. On the back there's a significant amount of material that would need to be milled off to make it happen. Just not worth it.

They are two different castings.

Here's the Gen 2 Rev 1 "7 bolt" head:
http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/pics/st185%20exhaust.jpg

Here's a 93 "9 bolt" Gen 2 rev 2 head:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/cashback/3sgte%20head/head-ex.jpg

temperacerguy
09-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Oh, and Klapa.... I'll take that 9 bolt off your hands if you're selling it. I have a few revision 2 heads lying around. Hell, I have some 7 bolt exhaust manifolds sitting around I could swap ya for.

l0ch0w
09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Interesting... my old RC motor was bone stock, it had a 7 bolt manifold, but a 9 bolt head? And i know that it hadnt been messed with...

And for those interested here is the gen 3, please stop calling it a rev 3... As you can see its quite different, really the only thing usable from the gen 2 motor on the gen 3 would be the cams (dont know why you would downgrade), cam gears, and dizzy... the rest is all different.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3600/imag0164ao.jpg
By alochow (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/alochow) at 2011-06-09

temperacerguy
09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Interesting... my old RC motor was bone stock, it had a 7 bolt manifold, but a 9 bolt head? And i know that it hadnt been messed with...

Interesting... I hadn't checked till you told me. My RC motor has the Rev 2 9 bolt head as well with the 7 bolt manifold.

klapa
10-01-2011, 01:25 AM
All,

Thanks again - Temperacerguy - perhaps we should take this offline - as far as what manifolds are what and what we might have for mutual trading.

It is "Strange" how your pic reminds me on someone... :)

This manifold and downpipe seems common on eBay for ~$125.

I think I could machine off the two outer "ears" and make this manifold work on either my own Alltrac - just based on course measurements.

Yet my Alltrac "aint broke" - at least in that department - it is just "ugly".

temperacerguy
10-01-2011, 01:48 AM
All,

Thanks again - Temperacerguy - perhaps we should take this offline - as far as what manifolds are what and what we might have for mutual trading.

It is "Strange" how your pic reminds me on someone... :)

I bet 90% of the people on this site have no idea who it is, or who the actor is. Mein Furor!

I think I could machine off the two outer "ears" and make this manifold work on either my own Alltrac - just based on course measurements.

Dont you dare!!! trade me if you're gonna do anything like that... Don't ruin a perfectly good 9 bolt when someone like me is in want of it!

Send me a PM if you want to trade.

Thanks,

klapa
10-01-2011, 02:08 AM
I bet 90% of the people on this site have no idea who it is, or who the actor is. Mein Furor!

Mr. President - WE CANNOT AFFORD TO HAVE A MINE SHAFT GAP!

Dont you dare!!! trade me if you're gonna do anything like that... Don't ruin a perfectly good 9 bolt when someone like me is in want of it!

Send me a PM if you want to trade.

Thanks,

I will do that - no hurry here to make rash decisions - but MANY needs in the "exhaust department".

temperacerguy
10-01-2011, 03:44 AM
US president to Soviet president (on the red phone)
Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country... Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri... Let me finish, Dmitri... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you imagine how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello.

What needs do you have in the exhaust department? I might be able to help you.

klapa
10-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Well - I'll PM ya about what my latest junk pile looks like - and maybe we can do some tradin'.

In the meantime - all that just makes me thirsty - I think I'll just go and have a fresh drink of pure grain alcohol and rain water - while I ponder the "purity of essence" of my bodily fluids!.;)

General Ripper had a plan......