PDA

View Full Version : 1990 gts alternator issues

kc90gts
09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
good morning everyone im having issues I have has problems with my alternator in my car ever since I got I it has burnt the terminal off the post that leads back to the battery repeatedly I can replace it and it will work fine for a while and it will burn it off again it looks like it is just melting it off the original wires got so short they would not reach so I tied them to a short section of 8 ga from an old stereo install and that really slowed it down for a while now it is back again and driveling me crazy any suggestions

93celicaconv
09-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Is your 1990 GT-S 100% stock, or do you have some high current draw modifications in it (such as stereo system with amplifiers, subs in trunk, etc.)?

Doowstados
09-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Check the voltage with a multimeter. Sometimes the regulator will push too much electricity. Doesn't happen much but it can.

Also, make sure any amps or other big power draws are fused properly (within 1 ft. of the battery). Car fires suck.

kc90gts
09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
well i have had this issue with and with out a large stero in the car it makes no difference the voltage has been low at around 12.5 but here recently it has jumped to around 13.5 and i can not explain why the only thing i have changed it teh lead i have from formentioned that i keep burning thure with a short section of 4 aug then split to the two factory wires and not that im complaining my milage has jumped about 3.5 mpg YEA im up to almost 28 now