PDA

View Full Version : ATS GM Knock Sensor

Tecker184
09-08-2011, 04:20 AM
Will your GM knock sensor kit work on a gen4 3sgte?

BabyBear
09-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Yes, it should. Depending on what connector comes on that kit though, you may have to cut it and get the newer style knock connector plug thingamajig on it unless you plan on using the vamp connector it tells you to. I wouldn't run it though. I had one on my MR2 and while it didn't throw a CEL, it seemed to pull a little bit of timing all of the time. I switched back to a stock one and couldn't have been happier.

Tecker184
09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Well i have two knock sensors they both must be bad. I have changed the wire, the plug that goes into the ecu and the ecu, still have a check engine light. I really don't know were to start finding an oem one.

Luni
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Knock sensor tuning is determined by bore/stroke of the engine, not material or number of cylinders. All 3SGTEs are the same.

Theres a guy over at mr2oc names CJMR2T you can hit up, he has knock sensors and pigtails for sale for like 30 bucks shipped. Thats the way Id go with it. 90 percent of the time with a code 52 either its your sensor, or the shielded part of the wire that gets damaged. Run a new wire, ground it either at the block side, or at the ECU side, make your connections pretty and it will most likely go away.

Tecker184
09-09-2011, 12:45 AM
I sent him a message hope he can hook me up. I pulled my other knock sensor from my other engine that i ran for a year with no issues. So figured it had to be wireing. But i ran a good wire from my spare harness still nothing. I guess the sensor must have gotten damged when i removed the engine. I just really want this fixed its frustrating, im considering parting the car out.

BabyBear
09-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Me and Luni had to rewire the knock sensor wire from the ECU to the sensor on my(now his) MR2 like 3 times before it finally worked. I don't think we got the shielding far enough down the first 2 times.

Luni
09-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I sent him a message hope he can hook me up. I pulled my other knock sensor from my other engine that i ran for a year with no issues. So figured it had to be wireing. But i ran a good wire from my spare harness still nothing. I guess the sensor must have gotten damged when i removed the engine. I just really want this fixed its frustrating, im considering parting the car out.

Did you properly ground the shielded portion of the wire like youre supposed to? Most importantly, you CANNOT ground both sides of the shielding. You cut the shielding on one side and you ground it to the other.

Luni
09-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Rob, dont you still have that ATS GM Knock sensor?

Tecker184
09-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I grounded it just like it was stock Tomorrow is my day off i can really get a good crack at it.

BabyBear
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Rob, dont you still have that ATS GM Knock sensor?

Not sure, might have it kicking around somewhere. Honestly don't remember what I did with it, though I know I'll never use another one.

Tecker184
09-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Fixed a friend had a 2000 corolla knock sensor and it did the job. Thanks all

l0ch0w
04-01-2012, 09:27 PM