PDA

View Full Version : Name of grease used on poly anti-sway bar bushings?

Galcobar
09-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Developed a groan/creak in my rear suspension a while back, and eventually traced it to my anti-sway bar bushings. It's a Suspension Techniques bar, which uses polyurethane bushings.

Seemed as if they'd gotten gummed up with dirt over the last few years, so I did the usual disassemble and clean routine. I regreased with brake lube, and the noise stopped.

For a while. Seems as if the brake grease just isn't persistent enough, and is squeezed out of the bushing over time. I'm left with a fairly dry bushing and a noisy suspension.

The bar came with from ST a packet of very sticky, almost tar-like grease for the bushings. Now I understand why such a thick formula was used, but I don't know what was. Does anyone know the name of the compound, or a suitable alternative?

Thanks

--------------------

TL;DR: Suspension Techniques polyurethane anti-sway bar bushings need to be re-lubed. Brake grease too thin, need to identify the sticky grease ST includes with the bar.

MrWOT
09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I use regular Mobil 1 grease in all my bushings/ball joints

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I use Coastal.

Galcobar
09-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I've used silicone lubricant, brake grease, and glycol-soap lubricant. They all work out within days. This needs to be a persistent lubricant.

Luni
09-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I have some special stuff that came with my Prothane bushings... I might be able to dig up a little package of it. This shit is WAY goopier and stickier than standard grease... Its nasty.

Galcobar
09-07-2011, 11:27 PM
That sounds right -- any idea what it's called? Aside from not wanting to put you to any inconvenience, I might have to do this again in a few years (might not, the first install the grease surprised me and I let more road grime get into it than I should have, which could have killed its durability).

Luni
09-08-2011, 01:31 AM
You want something like this... this is what Prothane uses

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-19-1751/

KoreanJoey
09-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Holy hell... 14 oz of that stuff will last a couple lifetimes.

Doowstados
09-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Never use petroleum based (lithium mostly) lubes. They will degrade polyurethane/rubber bushings over time. (This includes Mobil 1 grease!)

I like a tube you can get from Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware/Wherever for like $5. It's called Super Lube synthetic grease. Lasts a good while and is nice and thick.

EDIT: Here ya go http://www.super-lube.com/

Galcobar
09-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Holy hell... 14 oz of that stuff will last a couple lifetimes.

They also sell 1.5 oz for $5, but the shipping fee doubles that. It's definitely the right stuff, so now I have to try to find something similar locally if I can. With the information from Luni I was able to do a little more research, looks like the polyurethane manufacturers suggest marine silicone grease as an alternative to the version they ship.

temperacerguy
09-08-2011, 06:50 PM
OK, y'all are going to laugh at me.. at what I use, but first I am going to tell you how I make applying them easy...

I take the bushing and mount off of the bar, and drill a hole through the mount all the way to the center. I then thread and install a greaseable fitting. From the hole on the inside, I use a dremel tool and route a little channel all the way around the bushing. This way in the future, I can hook up a grease gun, and grease the bushings all the way around.

OK... now what I use is.... and I am serious. John Dear Cornhead grease (http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html). It's a thick grease that is used for the feed head of corn harvesters. Not only is it a great lubricant that will stay on for a long time. It's also safe on rubber (unlike petroleum or silicone based lubricants)

alltracman78
09-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Never use petroleum based (lithium mostly) lubes. They will degrade polyurethane/rubber bushings over time. (This includes Mobil 1 grease!)

BonzaiCelica
09-13-2011, 06:31 AM
wow you guys got it all wrong. I have Suspension Technique Sway Bars front and rear on my 6th gen. I went to Super Autobacs a while back ago and bought two 8 ounce containers of polyurethane grease made by Energy Suspension. My front sway bar bushings get really dry every so often. I usually put grease on the front bushings every 8,000 and the rears every 10,000 miles. And ya the grease is so sticky its ridiculous. Use Latex gloves or you'll be at the sink for half an hour trying to remove it from your hands.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.11104

temperacerguy
09-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Well, thank you for pointing out that your solution is the only solution, and the rest of us are "all wrong" as you put it. I appreciate you putting an end to the ways that have served many of us for so long.

At Super Autobacs, was this on the full aisle with the blue bulbs, or was it on the Japanese air freshener and cell phone holder aisle? Perhaps upstairs with the overpriced Options and HyperRev mags?

You go ahead and spend $10-$15 for 8oz of your magic grease. I'll stick with my $4.00, 16oz solution that's worked on my sway bars since before you were born.

METDeath
09-13-2011, 09:53 PM
temperacerguy, what do you use to apply said grease? If it were not being used with a grease fitting that is...

temperacerguy
09-14-2011, 12:22 AM
I've only applied it with a grease gun once installed... It's the only way of getting the grease INSIDE the bushing without taking the bushings off. However If you want to take the bushing off (which you have to do to install the rest of the greases showcased here), I am sure you can puncture the top of the grease canister, squeeze it out and apply with your finger/rag. If I were doing this, I would get a tupperware container and just squeeze the whole contents into the tupperware and seal it for later use.

BonzaiCelica
09-14-2011, 04:10 AM
uhh i didnt say you guys were totally wrong in using whatever sort of method grease you picked. Why don't you look back at the original post made by the person who created the thread. He was looking for the name of the grease that came with the st sway bars. I did exactly that, gave him the product he was specifically asking for He didn't post, "what other products can I use to lube up my sway bar bushings?" I only mentioned the name autobacs, didn't specifically say it was the greatest place for car parts or how my experience was purchasing the products. Hmm something must be bothering you, bad day at the office?

temperacerguy
09-14-2011, 04:31 AM
uhh i didnt say you guys were totally wrong in using whatever sort of method grease you picked.
Um.... what's this?

wow you guys got it all wrong.

Why don't you look back at the original post made by the person who created the thread.
OK.....

Does anyone know the name of the compound, or a suitable alternative?

He didn't post, "what other products can I use to lube up my sway bar bushings?"
uh... again

or a suitable alternative?

Hmm something must be bothering you, bad day at the office?

just the attitude of your comment:

wow you guys got it all wrong.

Now, let this thread die... the information is there.

KoreanJoey
09-14-2011, 05:07 AM
lol.

BonzaiCelica
09-14-2011, 09:30 PM
sarcasm man you should really understand the meaning of the word.

Galcobar
09-14-2011, 10:56 PM
I appreciate you providing another brand for the grease to consider. However, your presentation of that information left you open to legitimate criticism.

There's a difference in between sarcasm and directly contradicting yourself and what I wrote.

As I've said before, if you're going to disagree with a post, make sure your reading comprehension is up to the task.

temperacerguy
09-15-2011, 05:25 AM
sarcasm man you should really understand the meaning of the word.

I understand sarcasm... Or at least I thought I did, and I didn't see sarcasm in your post. So I decided to look it up at Dictionary.com. Definition of sarcasm (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm)

1. mocking, contemptuous, or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult
2. the use or tone of such language

I can see the contempt... I can see the mockery. But I don't see the Irony here.... Perhaps I should look up "Irony".
Prior to you pointing out that your post was "sarcasm" as you put it, I didn't know your intention was to convey scorn or insult. Perhaps we should feel insulted? I certainly felt insulted, but I didn't know that was your intention. Thank you for pointing that out, as prior I thought it was just a byproduct of a bigger than justified ego.

After looking it up at dictionary.com, I didn't feel totally "fulfilled" I honestly didn't feel you were trying to mock us, or insult us as this definition of "sarcasm" states... so I looked it up in the heritage dictionary to see cultural meanings. here's what came up

"A form of irony in which apparent praise conceals another, scornful meaning. For example, a sarcastic remark directed at a person who consistently arrives fifteen minutes late for appointments might be, “Oh, you've arrived exactly on time!”"

I didn't see apparent praise in your post. I still don't see the Irony.

So... what is this "sarcasm" you speak of?

Now that I think of it... I was the one who used sarcasm, let me check.... Yeah, here it is:

Well, thank you for pointing out that your solution is the only solution, and the rest of us are "all wrong" as you put it. I appreciate you putting an end to the ways that have served many of us for so long.

Look buddy, you were insulting in the way that you provided your information. It pissed me off, and I expressed that. And rather than just taking your medicine and moving on with life, you just dig yourself in a deeper and deeper hole. Now, my recommendation for you is to just drop this matter, and let the thread die.

Now, if you want to talk about Humor in the lack of knowledge of words:
"Bonzai" or "Bonsai" Is the romanji spelling of the japanese word for "little tree".

"Bansai" (thousand years) is the exclamation that I think you were meaning which is a derivative of "jiyu bansai" (long live freedom), "Bansai" was supposedly used as a battle cry during WWII by various forces as an exclamation of the desire for a thousand year rule by the Emperor. or currently used in toasts as a term for "a long time"

METDeath
09-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Girls, girls! You're both pretty!

In clear English, please stop bickering. While it has been amusing to watch you two fight, this is not off topic.

joe's gt
09-16-2011, 05:57 AM
OK, y'all are going to laugh at me.. at what I use, but first I am going to tell you how I make applying them easy...

I take the bushing and mount off of the bar, and drill a hole through the mount all the way to the center. I then thread and install a greaseable fitting. From the hole on the inside, I use a dremel tool and route a little channel all the way around the bushing. This way in the future, I can hook up a grease gun, and grease the bushings all the way around.

OK... now what I use is.... and I am serious. John Dear Cornhead grease (http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html). It's a thick grease that is used for the feed head of corn harvesters. Not only is it a great lubricant that will stay on for a long time. It's also safe on rubber (unlike petroleum or silicone based lubricants)

DIY grease grooved bushing. Nice!

Galcobar
12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
I like a tube you can get from Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware/Wherever for like $5. It's called Super Lube synthetic grease. Lasts a good while and is nice and thick.

EDIT: Here ya go http://www.super-lube.com/

Checking back in to report: Ended up getting a hold of a tube of Super Lube, with PTFE, out of my local marine hardware store and tried it. I was skeptical since it's not nearly as tarry as the original grease, but a couple months later it seems to be holding on and my suspension is reasonably squeak-free. Cold and wet is evidently not an issue for this stuff. I'll try to remember to report on how it does once temperatures go back up -- though if I forget it's probably a good sign.