PDA

View Full Version : Why do Toyota Drivers dislike/hate Honda Drivers?

mong@logicmotors
09-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Toyota and Honda have always had a rivalry since the day I can remember. But really, what causes you to dislike Honda's? Just thought I'd get everyones input.

temperacerguy
09-07-2011, 01:32 AM
No clue... I don't hate hondas, I hate honda drivers... That being said... I'm still looking for a good EG chassis to play with.

Galcobar
09-07-2011, 01:36 AM
It's not Honda we hate, it's the Civic tuner effect. That in turn cast a shadow over everything else Honda.

Most Toyota drivers will acknowledge the quality and reliability of Hondas, and the engineering ability of Honda as a company (NSX anyone?). It's just that the brand has also become the icon for all that is wrong with modern tuners and the wannabes with more money than brains which have resulted.

Waffles!
09-07-2011, 01:43 AM
I don't hate Hondas or Honda drivers. I used to own a V6 Accord, and it was an awesome car. However, I hate hearing a fart can on a Civic.

temperacerguy
09-07-2011, 01:48 AM
It's not Honda we hate, it's the Civic tuner effect. That in turn cast a shadow over everything else Honda.

Most Toyota drivers will acknowledge the quality and reliability of Hondas, and the engineering ability of Honda as a company (NSX anyone?). It's just that the brand has also become the icon for all that is wrong with modern tuners and the wannabes with more money than brains which have resulted.

I agree. The foundry work of Hondas rival that of ultra-exotics... I've had a 360 engine and a B series engine on engine stands next to each other, and the Ferrari engine had far more imperfections and casting flash.

grimmythereaper
09-07-2011, 02:07 AM

i agree with this, i will drool over an extremely nice 1999 civic hatchback any day of the week, what i don't get is y a Honda civic? Honda has other cars that can toyed with, but most ppl here wont touch them, i would gladly take a v6 accord or an integra but civics seem to get all the glory or lack there of

boo_guy
09-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Disliking Honda owners isnt a Toyota owner thing, its a tuner thing :P

Id say its mostly the ricers/kids that are doing ghetto mods to their moms torqueless grocery getter.

temperacerguy
09-07-2011, 02:29 AM
i agree with this, i will drool over an extremely nice 1999 civic hatchback any day of the week, what i don't get is y a Honda civic? Honda has other cars that can toyed with, but most ppl here wont touch them, i would gladly take a v6 accord or an integra but civics seem to get all the glory or lack there of

Civics are cheap. and there are so many different trim levels that you can make the lowest of the low look like an Si-R with ebay and a paypal account.

Full disclosure... I used to own a 89 Civic CRX Si-R (Right hand drive, glass roof, ultra thin fenders) Loved that car, it ran 13s out of the box.... and when I say "Out of the box" I mean we unloaded it from the shipping container, pulled the interior, and took it to the track. No Mods, and still on the stale oil/fuel from Japan.

4thgenceli
09-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Sounds like everyone nailed it on the head already.

I have to agree. I don't 'dislike' hondas, but rather dislike 95% of the honda owners that buy all of their performance upgrades on ebay and Autozone. Combined with that they think gutting the interior, euro lights and 5 color body kits are 'mad jdm tyte'. Just yesterday or the day before I was at a light and this very modestly visually modified 93 hatch pulled beside me. That thing was clean visually and by the sound of it was a well thought out and assembled track capable car.

Now, go ask this question on HondaTech. You may get the same answers, but I'm sure there will be some assholes that come and start dogging Toyotas for some reason or another.

Doowstados
09-07-2011, 02:41 AM
I don't hate Hondas. Hell, I would love a turbo'd EG hatch. You would just never know it had a turbo in it because I wouldn't add a body kit, a fart can that sounds like a bunch of pissed off bumblebees or a huge spoiler. It wouldn't be "hellaflush" or "slammed." It would look damn near stock and sound just like any other car on the road. If a Honda has any of the above things, the driver is someone my age who has a twelve year old's sense of style/functionality.

CollapsedNut
09-07-2011, 02:47 AM
I dislike Hondas. I have never worked on such a PITA than my sisters 94 civic. I fought me the whole way on everything I did.
So maybe I just dont like that one. Hopefully it has been crushed by now, POS. I do like the 90's hatch's tho, done up right they can look sweet.
I like the newer civics, donno what years exactly, but the ones with Si and vtec stickers are nice, whatever you call those.
But when it comes down to it, I would buy a beat to hell Camry before I would buy a clean honda. Maybe because Im familier with the toyota, but I
think tis just how I feel about them. Something about a toyota logo gets me hot.

Doowstados
09-07-2011, 02:56 AM
I dislike Hondas. I have never worked on such a PITA than my sisters 94 civic. I fought me the whole way on everything I did.
So maybe I just dont like that one. Hopefully it has been crushed by now, POS. I do like the 90's hatch's tho, done up right they can look sweet.
I like the newer civics, donno what years exactly, but the ones with Si and vtec stickers are nice, whatever you call those.
But when it comes down to it, I would buy a beat to hell Camry before I would buy a clean honda. Maybe because Im familier with the toyota, but I
think tis just how I feel about them. Something about a toyota logo gets me hot.

I like working on my friends Hondas, more room under the hood. That being said, trying to pull a crank nut off of a drivers side facing engine is absolutely fucking ridiculous without a CRAZY torque impact.

lamont
09-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Why I hate Hondas? Simple, most Honda Civic drivers seen The Fast and The Furious movie, and made the mistake of thinking it was REAL. Honda was a sponsor of the first film, so the Civic was a featured vehicle. Most of these brain dead retards would be driving any car that was featured in the movie and if the were wheeling 3 Dodge Neons instead of Civics these same fucktards would all be sporting Mopar emblems on there blown head-gasket Dodges. Anyone can take a Civic and mod it, but it takes a real tuner to take the road less traveled. My final reason for hating Hondas is I used to own a 99 Ford Mustang GT and every riced out Civic with Pep Boy taillights and a Folgers can exhaust would try to race me. Of course I never wasted an ounce of gas on such lowly special-ed students, and for all you Honda lovers clear taillights don't put you in the same category as a Mustang.

fullmonte44
09-07-2011, 03:23 AM
lol. out of the box, indeed. Priceless, temp.
I was on an Accord site for awhile, and that phrase "grocery getter" would really raise their hackles when they heard it from toyota guys. They'd get all defensive and say where else can you fiind a better engineered and designed FAMILY CAR than in a Honda. Most of the regulars and knowledgable guys there, though, were pretty much in agreement that Honda kinda lost its way about 15 years ago. Might be said of the whole industry, though.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-07-2011, 03:27 AM
It's not really a Honda/Toyota thing. It's primarily a pin head Honda driver thing. Nobody likes them, Toyota, Domestic or European. Hell, some of the Honda owners probably hate them as well.

Doowstados
09-07-2011, 03:38 AM
It's not really a Honda/Toyota thing. It's primarily a pin head Honda driver thing. Nobody likes them, Toyota, Domestic or European. Hell, some of the Honda owners probably hate them as well.

I worked with a guy who owns a 99' civic with about $5,000 in custom work done on it. He constantly goes through ribbing because he drives a Honda despite the fact that he puts down just under 400 HP. His car is a sleeper minus his 7.5" tires and enkei wheels. He's told me stories about constantly being challenged by kids in SOHC cars who don't notice the massive FMIC he's got.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-07-2011, 03:42 AM
I like my 2-stroke Honda dirt bike. I like my Honda lawnmower.

Seeing the poorly modified eBay rice burning tool wagon hasn't helped. Seeing Honda skip over WRC, year after year hasn't helped me either.

Honda cars, leave me feeling uninspired. Everything has been done, both good and bad. They are still highly targeted by thieves. They represent illegal street racing. The internet is pilfered with horrible images of modification failure. I always see the forensic remains of a bad accident at the junkyard. Finally, my parents Civic, ate it's transmission only after 60k miles.

I like my Celica. I don't like when a guy in his modified Neon/Cobalt/Civic ask me to race.

bzdweezy
09-07-2011, 04:21 AM
However, I hate hearing a fart can on a Civic.

SOHC sounds the worse, but other than that I like beating them when they pull up to me and rev

Luni
09-07-2011, 05:27 AM
I think its mostly cause there are so many civics, accords, and integras out there among others that people do shit to. And it really seems like the majority of the shit that gets done to them either adds weight and affects aerodynamics, or its so cookie cutter that it just isnt cool.

I think my main beef with the majority of honda heads is they think theyre so cool cause they can get 500-600hp out of a SOHC 1.6 liter engine with a turbo kit, but its been done a million times before using the same recipe, and they arent really doing anything thats associated with ingenunity. Or they just buy a bunch of ugly body parts, put a fart bomber on their cars, cut the springs, put flat black steelies on, run 4 degrees of camber while bouncing down the road, and think theyre the coolest thing on 4 wheels.

I understand this sort of shit happens in ANY community/brand, but its really the worse in the Honda crowd. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.

bleST
09-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Well I hate to say it (notice it's not listed in my repertoire below) but I own a '99 Accord and I hate it. After driving my brother's '91 EXR Accord and my parents' '84 Accord, the quality of the newer ones just isn't up to par. I just swapped in a complete front sub-frame with everything attached because the original drivetrain was worn out at 297K kms. My parents Accord had 638K when they sold it, and everything was original except for the front rotors and the carb, aside from the usual maintenance stuff.

Lonestag
09-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Why do ford guys hate chevy?

There's some friendly rivelry as well as c, all of the above.

celica9303
09-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Cuz there simple to work on, I can do a complete b series swap including wiring in under 4hrs. And for little money they can be made fast. I don't dislike them persay it just irritates me that they have it so easy with mods and aftermarket support and we have to make custom stuff and modify part from other cars to make ~4-5hp. This appiles to the 5sfe not the 3s. The 3s has a lot of support.

Luni
09-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Cuz there simple to work on, I can do a complete b series swap including wiring in under 4hrs. And for little money they can be made fast. I don't dislike them persay it just irritates me that they have it so easy with mods and aftermarket support and we have to make custom stuff and modify part from other cars to make ~4-5hp. This appiles to the 5sfe not the 3s. The 3s has a lot of support.

Well then by your logic, just get a honda. So you hate them cause they "have it easier" than we do?

KoreanJoey
09-07-2011, 06:52 AM
I raced a honda at nationals... it was even an 89 civic si with really loud exhaust.

85gtsblackman
09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
i dont dislike em persay most of them are just boring to me, id rather have a nissan or subie

bleST
09-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I just realized the title was about Honda owners...so I guess I hate myself.

The Captain
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
One word. VeetaktypAAaarr!

Tecker184
09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
One word. VeetaktypAAaarr!
^^this

Waffles!
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
most of them are just boring to me

+1

alltracNyx
09-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Why I hate Hondas? Simple, most Honda Civic drivers seen The Fast and The Furious movie, and made the mistake of thinking it was REAL.

The Fast and the Furious movies first came out in the early 2000's. Kids were ricing out Hondas WAY before that. Sure, a lot of stupid ideas have come out of the movies (like every dumbass thinking they can drift), but they certainly didn't start the trend.

And I can't say that I hate Hondas, because I used to have an '05 RSX, and I loved that car, but it was a bone stock DD with an audio system. Honda drivers have just perpetuated the stereotype and given the brand a bad reputation for it.

trumanpriest
09-07-2011, 02:48 PM

+1 to this. I personally like the S2000 and the NSX, and even a teggy or prelude done well can have a great look imo. it's just the "JDM tight yo", coffee can exhaust that seems to be quite a bit more common with honda's, and honestly that arrogance because I drive a civic attitude that some people have that bother me.

allTRACway
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Like its said above its not just the drivers its the tunners or lack their of i guess. When I look into a magazine any more its all honda this and acura that, they show build costs sometimes and well I have seen 400 horse power civics for less than the price of my whole car. I am friends with some honda owners and tunners and well the tunners hate the other tunners that half way do things. The drivers on the other hand well not so much, many often brag about how they have well over 200k miles on there motor and still hold doors with newer vehicles. Honda owners/tunners also are a little more cocky because they save so much money with ebay parts and feel so cool. I personally have the large 'fart can' on the back of my car but I have 3inch exhaust to go with it and, I also love the way it echoes through town as I get on the throttle. Now I once had a 93 accord with a short ram intake on it for better fuel milage and yeah it worked but that was all I wanted it for because gas is stupid expensive any more.

there is my rant sorry its scattered thats just my brain for ya

UtahSleeper
09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
No issue with honda's. Just ricers.

grassdragger738
09-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I have my Celica (project car) and my 93 civic sedan (daily driver) I have no disrespect or hate for Honda's just some of the idiots behind the wheel

CollapsedNut
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I have a Honda that can zero to 60 faster than most supercars tho, So I guess I dont hate the brand. Just the people.

allTRACway
09-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I have a Honda that can zero to 60 faster than most supercars tho, So I guess I dont hate the brand. Just the people.

yeah but thats a bike i think he was talking about the car owners/tunners

CollapsedNut
09-07-2011, 11:48 PM
yeah but thats a bike i think he was talking about the car owners/tunners

I just had to throw that in. Bike is the reason I have no license tho, so maybe I hate myself, not hondas...

allTRACway
09-07-2011, 11:52 PM
i lost mine due to speeding in a honda.

Hipster Lawrence
09-08-2011, 01:29 AM
I don't hate Hondas and in reality most Honda nuts are not the douche bag kids. A good percentage of them are adults who have half a brain. Ef civics show up lots of spensive cars at the autox.

You have to give credit where credit is due. The civic started this whole import tuner thing in the US. Some say vw but I disagree. I had a ef with a monza tip, clear tails and white enkis. It was dope yo. I also had a 91 crx si that I kept stock and it was with the exception of my mk1 the best, most fun car I ever owned.

MCcelica
09-08-2011, 02:58 AM
I raced a honda at nationals... it was even an 89 civic si with really loud exhaust.

I dunno what it is about those things, but they're some of the fastest AutoX runner's I've seen.

I hate honda drivers for much of the same reasons stated above. Ricer this and blah blah blah. But it doesn't end there for me. The you-hoos that drive the Honda Pilot are their own special breed too. They like to block up everything everywhere they go. Or at least around here anyway. Same thing for Subaru drivers. But ONLY the old school Forrester/Outback drivers. You know. They drive a Forrester/Outback hatch (1st gen) and when you pass them they have tie die shirts, dreadlocks, flickin' a J out the window while they're freeing Tibet with their Birkenstock sandals and Northface backpacks. Those guys drive like rejects out here.

The Captain
09-08-2011, 05:43 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/7/2/1/ricer2gm1.jpg

Waffles!
09-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Words cannot describe my adoration for you John.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-08-2011, 05:58 PM
But ONLY the old school Forrester/Outback drivers. You know. They drive a Forrester/Outback hatch (1st gen) and when you pass them they have tie die shirts, dreadlocks, flickin' a J out the window while they're freeing Tibet with their Birkenstock sandals and Northface backpacks. Those guys drive like rejects out here.

Blasting NPR is a CHOICE man. You're free to do what you want, but we Outback drivers just want to love the world man. If my Vanagon was all wheel drive, I could drive into nature and park next to the spirit in the sky. Besides, the mud at Bonnaroo is a real bitch.

Waffles!
09-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Dude, just like, chill out man.

CollapsedNut
09-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Is it just me or do civics like the above one look like BMW's?

allTRACway
09-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Words cannot describe my adoration for you John.

ok new to this are you talking about me? lol

it also doesnt help im sure all of you in your early to mid 20s remember the stupid need for speed underground games and you had to make your car look so cool to get stuff in the game, that for sure didnt help to not make tunners into ricers.

allTRACway
09-09-2011, 12:18 AM
ok new to this are you talking about me? lol.

well after carying on my way i come to find out that the captain is also john. sorry im just used to being the only one

Waffles!
09-09-2011, 01:03 AM
well after carying on my way i come to find out that the captain is also john. sorry im just used to being the only one

It's ok. I tend to use people's real names on occasion.

Superman
09-09-2011, 02:00 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/7/2/1/ricer2gm1.jpg

I think I could be ok with it if the skin and kit were gone.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-09-2011, 02:13 AM
I think I could be ok with it if the skin and kit were gone.

Al-Tez-Ah

temperacerguy
09-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Al-Tez-Ah

at SEMA in '99, my business partner and I went to all the tail light vendors (APC and the like) asking if they had an Alteza tail light kit for the IS300. Sadly only one or two got the joke.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-09-2011, 04:44 AM
^ Hahaha that's awesome.

MCcelica
09-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Blasting NPR is a CHOICE man. You're free to do what you want, but we Outback drivers just want to love the world man. If my Vanagon was all wheel drive, I could drive into nature and park next to the spirit in the sky. Besides, the mud at Bonnaroo is a real bitch.

Lol, nothing against the people themselves. Just some commonalities I notice with shitty drivers. There are others. Those just stick out the most. :P

MCcelica
09-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Oh, and Sirius/XM FTW!

Masani
09-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I am from Hawaii. Everyone and their mother's dog has a honda. You hear a ricey car coming up the block, and 11 times out of 10, it's a Honda. Falling apart with a coffee can for a muffler, HIDs, hugely over-sized rims, and an engine that's knocking and clacking, smoking like a Semi. And the bloke inside has the bawls to stare you down when you drive by with a car that actually needs a muffler that big! XD

tuner4life
09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Every brand has potential. Honda's do have shit tons of potential, and probably the most aftermarket support of any car brand ever besides maybe chevy. I have seen tons of hondas that were very nicely built. Right from the factory, they are good cars. Many are known for certain issues, but every car has its downfalls. Most of these issues can be fixed by going aftermarket.

The reason that Hondas get a bad rap is because every middle schooler's dream car was a fully kitted civic with a b18 swap and turboz and nawz, and underglowz!!!!!!. Great, because that was cool when they were in middle school (when Fast and Furious 1 had just come out). But when they got to high school and bought their first car, they came to the harsh realizsation that money doesnt grow on trees. This brought on the "typical" flat black civic rollin on the cheapest steelies available,with a cut off exhaust, cut springs, and stickers... stickers are cheap/free right?

All Im trying to say is that most of the problems that people have with Honda drivers stem from a very relevant stereotype. I would roll a honda. It would be clean, quick and contain as many cool jdm parts as possible. That seems to be the latest movement in the Honda scene, which is totally respectable i my book.

allTRACway
09-09-2011, 02:02 PM
ok now a question i have had for a while is when i was in cali last year i had seen a civic lowered with what looked like a poobear key fob hanging off its hook under the back of the car. anyone got any ideas on that fad?

temperacerguy
09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
ok now a question i have had for a while is when i was in cali last year i had seen a civic lowered with what looked like a poobear key fob hanging off its hook under the back of the car. anyone got any ideas on that fad?
The origination of this trend came from the Bosozoku (street gangsters with fixed up cars) in Japan. It was a Bosozoku trend to hang a small tin bucket from their rear tow hook to show off how low thier cars were- they got the idea from seeing cement trucks in Japan, wich always had a bucket hanging off the rear of the truck. The cement trucks used the bucket as a "catch can" of sorts, so that excess cement from the truck would'nt spill onto the pavement. Inspired by this, the bosozoku trend setters attached small buckets to thier rear tow hooks to show how low thier bucket could hang- if your car was so low that the bucket could scrape on things as you were driving , they thought it was cool as hell That then changed to bells, and smurfs, dolls, and so on.

mong@logicmotors
09-09-2011, 08:18 PM
So after reading a lot of these responses, I realized that the most hated car is the Honda Civic and it's not just Honda's in general. Also, the ease of access to tuning parts is a factor that irritates many Toyota drivers. One aspect of why I've always loved Toyota's is the uniqueness of their cars, whether it's the All-Trac or the super rare MR2 2000gt or even trying to find a MR2 with a hard top instead of a T top. I also believe many individuals were at one point "ricers" whether it be Honda's or Toyota's. I'm still in the market for a 5th gen All-Trac so if anyone has one on sale, HIT ME UP!!! :)

Waffles!
09-09-2011, 09:03 PM
So after reading a lot of these responses, I realized that the most hated car is the Honda Civic and it's not just Honda's in general. Also, the ease of access to tuning parts is a factor that irritates many Toyota drivers. One aspect of why I've always loved Toyota's is the uniqueness of their cars, whether it's the All-Trac or the super rare MR2 2000gt or even trying to find a MR2 with a hard top instead of a T top. I also believe many individuals were at one point "ricers" whether it be Honda's or Toyota's. I'm still in the market for a 5th gen All-Trac so if anyone has one on sale, HIT ME UP!!! :)

Why do you think I joined a Celica forum and bought an MR2?

Galcobar
09-09-2011, 10:13 PM
So after reading a lot of these responses, I realized that the most hated car is the Honda Civic and it's not just Honda's in general. Also, the ease of access to tuning parts is a factor that irritates many Toyota drivers.

It's not the access to tuning parts, so much as it is how what was plentiful options for tuning attracted a crowd which didn't know much, which in turn attracted manufacturers who exploited that ignorance to hype an incredible amount of shiny crap, which in turn led to a couple generations of wannabe tuners mistaking said cheap shiny crap for actual tuning. Ricer is a bit of a misnomer, since the original rice rockets were actually highly tuned Japanese cars. The problem is that there's a lot more wannabes than there are capable tuners, particularly since Japanese cars were harder to actually tune, so the term ended up being applied to all the wannabes. This would be the taint on Honda I mentioned; the Civic was a popular car to tune, so the wannabes flocked to the brand because of the image rather than the quality of engineering.

You might say Honda's a victim of its own success. It wanted to encourage the tuner market, in order to give its vehicles the reputation for being sports cars on the cheap. The result was a brand with a reputation for being owned by people who didn't know anything about building a sporting car.

alltracNyx
09-09-2011, 10:25 PM
It's ok. I tend to use people's real names on occasion.

I think we all do. Sometimes it's easier to use real names when you actually know the person in real life, which is why everyone should come to the annual Dragon meet.

There's my plug for the meet. I think I've met my quota for the year :D

allTRACway
09-11-2011, 03:47 AM
I think we all do. Sometimes it's easier to use real names when you actually know the person in real life, which is why everyone should come to the annual Dragon meet.

There's my plug for the meet. I think I've met my quota for the year :D

im going to do my darndest to make it there next year with the wife at least and hopefully in the trac if its up for the trip

T-spoon
09-11-2011, 06:53 AM
I forced an S2000 to actually floor it in order to pass the ol' clattery volvo the other day. The look of frustration and surprise on his face as he finally made it by was priceless! (No I wasn't being a dick, he had swooped three lanes over from the right to the far left lane at a stop light thinking he could easily get in front of all the traffic and get all the way back to the right for his upcoming right turn).

I'd totally take an S2000 though if someone gave it to me :hehe:

Mr. Babb
09-11-2011, 08:26 AM
I heart my hawduh. Its really easy to work on and almost all parts are readily available.

The Captain
09-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I personally refuse to drive a car who's torque is less at the crank than it is on the lug nuts.

4 cylinder Honda owners use forced induction because they have too. That being said I'd totally drive a supercharged S2000. Stock, not so much.

Waffles!
09-11-2011, 03:52 PM
I personally refuse to drive a car who's torque is less at the crank than it is on the lug nuts.

This.

BabyBear
09-11-2011, 10:41 PM

4 cylinder Honda owners use forced induction because they have too. That being said I'd totally drive a supercharged S2000. Stock, not so much.

But they has VTAK!

I drove an NA S2000, it was fun. Definitely wanted bewst though.