PDA

View Full Version : Danger with driving on warped rotor

4thgenceli
09-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Other than premature brake wear and the annoying 'whir whir whir' sound, is there any danger with driving like this? It would be easier on us if we had both cars running instead of keeping the '87 down for the week while we wait for the parts to come in. I have two new rotors coming in to replace the front two rotors (since 1 is warped & non-serviceable I'm assuming the other is too). Brake pads still have plenty of life left on them.

temperacerguy
09-05-2011, 11:46 PM
would I let a customer/friend drive with a warped brake rotor I had diagnosed? Hell No, brakes on that side will grab a fraction of a second after the other side causing the car to pull to one side, and in emergency brakeing, could cause yaw.... causing the car to fly off the side of the road into that school bus full of "special needs" children on the way to a life saving operation, pushing the bus into a tanker full of gasoline, sparking and burning alive everyone within a 500' radius Including the puppy and kitten adoption center. However, you will miraculously survive so you can go through 244 different manslaughter trials...

I'd do it on my car no problem. just be aware and anticipate the vibration in the steering wheel and the pull when you hit the brakes.

DudeMan
09-05-2011, 11:50 PM
The rotors on my truck were warped for a long time before I finally replaced them.. Didn't seem to pose much of a safety issue. More annoying than anything.

Eric Barrera
09-05-2011, 11:50 PM
would I let a customer/friend drive with a warped brake rotor I had diagnosed? Hell No, brakes on that side will grab a fraction of a second after the other side causing the car to pull to one side, and in emergency brakeing, could cause yaw.... causing the car to fly off the side of the road into that school bus full of "special needs" children on the way to a life saving operation, pushing the bus into a tanker full of gasoline, sparking and burning alive everyone within a 500' radius Including the puppy and kitten adoption center. However, you will miraculously survive so you can go through 244 different manslaughter trials...

I'd do it on my car no problem. just be aware and anticipate the vibration in the steering wheel and the pull when you hit the brakes.

I lol'd

temperacerguy
09-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I lol'd

You don't have time to laugh, get back to finishing your damn car... we're all waiting for the video.

4thgenceli
09-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Hahahaha..win.

It's been like that for about a week or so, so I may just throw it back on and drivei it for the two or 3 days I need it until my new rotors come in.

KoreanJoey
09-06-2011, 02:27 AM
Nope, when you need them you need them.

tuner4life
09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Had one that was warped like that. After a while of rubbing on the pads, it got so hot it cooked the caliper and locked up. That was fun.

93celicaconv
09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I think the point was expressed well enough in the posts so far. A warped rotor, in and of itself, is something to be concerned with as far as braking balance between the two front brakes. But more significant is what caused the rotor to warp. Usually the cause is a sticking capliper piston or slide pins that put pressure on one side of the rotor more than the other, and the heat on one side of the rotor causes the warp. The sticking piston or caliper pins is what concerns me more than anything. Changing rotors will make things seem fine for awhile, but unless the root cause is corrected, new rotors will likely warp again within a short time.

Luni
09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Heres a very interesting article concerning "warped brake disks"

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Cliffnotes of the article, most of the time brake rotors dont actually warp, what happens is a transference of the pad material to the rotor, then excessive heat applied creates a material called cementite. Cementite expands and contracts under heat at different rates than the metal of the rotors, so it gives the feel of warped rotors. In addition to that, once you have cementite in the rotor, you can turn it and it gets better, shortly, but it comes back cause its actually part of the matrix of the metal at that point. So I guess the gist of it is, there is no such thing is a warped brake rotor. Not as we know it. That article is a damn good read.

Galcobar
09-07-2011, 01:40 AM
I've read that article before, and I agree it's a much more probable situation to have uneven pad deposition than to have managed to heat up a solid steel disc enough to distemper and deform it. It can still happen, but daily drivers are not prone to producing that much heat even with a stuck caliper.

Luni
09-07-2011, 05:14 AM
My only argument against "deforming" a rotor, is when you resurface a rotor youre only cutting the top side. If its truly "warped" the inside stays warped. If you spin it youd see the inside still being warped even though the top side is cut straight. That isnt the case though. After resurfacing it on the top, both sides are magically in round again.

That right there tells me they dont really warp like is commonly thought of as warping. That article makes perfect sense to me. It also makes sense that once you get cementite in there, it never goes away and thats the reason why even on a newly resurfaced rotor, it only lasts maybe another 10-20k miles MAX, if youre lucky, before it starts shimmying again.

I for one dont resurface "warped" rotors. If they get that bad, I toss em and buy new ones. Ill resurface a rotor to scuff it enough to bed a new set of pads in properly, but not because its "warped".

To each their own I suppose.