PDA

View Full Version : Skype Status

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-02-2011, 02:07 AM
The little Skype icon under my Avatar never shows when I am logged in. Can that be fixed?

BabyBear
09-02-2011, 04:55 AM
I see the icon

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-02-2011, 04:59 AM
The icon shows an X and isn't green. When you click it, it says I'm offline. :(

I'm online!

klapa
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Microsoft bought Skype - have you paid yet? ;)

manda
09-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Probably cause no one wants to talk to you :p

aw, not true. I've enjoyed talking to Michael over the few txt convos we've had in the past

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-03-2011, 06:18 AM
aw, not true. I've enjoyed talking to Michael over the few txt convos we've had in the past

Aww, I SOMEONE enjoys talking to me.

CollapsedNut
09-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Do you guys actually use skype?

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Do you guys actually use skype?

I'm usually on it. Like right now.

Eric Barrera
09-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Thought you had to pay for it?

Doowstados
09-04-2011, 04:26 AM
Skype is free for skype to skype calls. Only costs money to call phones.

klapa
09-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Yea - and Skype had a real good conference service too - that did cost - but very little.

I would bet that is all a thing of the past, now that Microsoft will be taking over.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Yea - and Skype had a real good conference service too - that did cost - but very little.

I would bet that is all a thing of the past, now that Microsoft will be taking over.

I envision it as a tied in service with Office. It may actually be a better thing, like when MS bought Bungie and put Halo to work making them money.

(PS I'm still on!!!)

Doowstados
09-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I very much doubt they will raise prices on anything. Realistically, there is too much competition. ooVoo is very close to beating out Skype in conference calls right now because they offer free four way conference calls while Skype charges for more than two. (Video, anyway.)

klapa
09-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Well - I had commented on a thread a month or so back about Microsoft not including NetMeeting with Vista or Windows 7. Allot of people used that great and free program for conferencing and remote assist/teaching.

Microsoft bulliten boards had Microsoft answer that "this service was now a part of Office". This being one of two elements. One of them - something like "NetShare" is nothing more than a remote desktop - it does not offer either audio or video conferencing with application sharing for MULTIPLE clients like NetMeeting did - it is only a remote desktop that allows interaction between the host and ONE client. Also this one requires you to get a "Microsoft Passport" - a real invasion of privacy IMO.

The other one ("integrated" with Office) requires the use of a Microsoft server - at a minimum cost of $57 mo. with an extra $20 mo. for each client when I looked into it.

I'll just about bet that as soon as the smoke clears from Microsoft's acquisition of Skype the conferencing service (an alternative to Microsoft) will either disappear (most likely) or cost triple what it does now, and probably be limited too.

They don't care so much about the audio - and the video is really not absolutely needed - it is the combination of those and the application sharing that everybody needs.