PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump drive shaft groove?

90ToyAllTrac
09-01-2011, 10:44 PM
94 Celica GT. The drive shaft of the oil pump has a groove around it where the seal rides on it. Is that supposed to be there? Wondering if thats part of the oil leak problem Ive had for awhile. It was definately coming out of the pump. Supposedly that groove is not supposed to be there. Toyota said they dont sell just the shaft anymore so Id have to get a new oil pump which is a different shape and requires a whole new lower belt cover plate and would have to remove the oil pan to install.

Anyone had to deal with this before?

This one looks like mine, and looks like there's a groove around the shaft on this one, hard to see but there. NOT where the arrow is, on the drive shaft verticle in this pic.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2948/s7308623.jpg

CollapsedNut
09-03-2011, 05:52 PM
I dont remember seeing a groove on any of the three 3s oil pumps I took apart. Now I wasnt looking for a groove so maybe I missed it tho.

alltracman78
09-03-2011, 06:23 PM
The groove is from the seal wearing the shaft away [yes rubber will wear steel].
Very common.

It isn't always a problem, but it could cause a leak if it's deep enough.
Just install the seal with a different depth, so it doesn't sit directly on the groove.

90ToyAllTrac
09-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Was able to find a new shaft. So I replaced it. Seems crazy that rubber can cut steel. Will find out pretty soon if that fixes the leak.

alltracman78
09-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Did the new shaft have a new gear on it?
Cause the inner and outer gear on the pump are a matched set.
Not a good idea to replace only 1.

If you knocked the pin out and replaced only the shaft, that should be fine.

Galcobar
09-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Rubber is a lot harder than water, and water gave us, well, most geographic features one way or another.