PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up lights, RH side not functioning.

T-spoon
08-25-2011, 03:01 AM
This is on the 87 supra. Before I started the project both sides operated just fine. Now, only the left side pops up. I've tested other motor(s) and it doesn't appear to be a problem with the motor, or any kind of mechanical obstruction. The right headlight turns on, but nothing happens with the motor. I can't find any fuses that are bad, and I assume (incorrectly?) that it wouldn't be a relay issue if one side still works.

Does this sound like it's most likely the retract control computer, or something else? Would it hurt anything to simply jumper new wires off the working left side?

93celicaconv
08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
What test did you do on the right side motor that tells you it is not a problem with the motor, exactly? The motors on a 5th Gen Celi have 5 conductors going to them. Part of the control feedback loop to the relay is a position signal coming back from each headlight motor, which can fail. If you direct connect power to the motor leads for it to turn open and it works, and then do the same to close the headlight door, it doesn't rule out the motor isn't sending a position signal back to the relay.

But you really need to get ahold of a wiring diagram for your 87 Supra to check out the problem.

T-spoon
08-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I have another set of motors. They activate and the rod changes position when plugged into the left side, but nothing happens when they are plugged into the right side. Seems pretty definitive that it's not the motor, I think, though it's kind of a simplistic "test". I do have a diagram for it but it doesn't tell me much (probably because I'm not super with wiring diagrams) other than the failure point must be somewhere in the body wire harness or the retract control computer.

93celicaconv
08-26-2011, 04:30 AM
That is about the best diagnostic test you can do to rule out the motors. Do you have an extra headlight retraction relay? That is where I would go to next, because I think it modulates each headlight motor independently. Of course, you could always have a wiring failure - and those are harder to find.

T-spoon
08-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I think I'll try to scan the EWD page and upload it here. I could be interpreting it wrong and it might be obvious to some of you more electrically inclined guys. I'd hate to start pulling out wiring if it's not the fault since it runs from the driver kick panel through the fender etc. and wouldn't be the easiest to deal with.