PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell if I have ABS?

shreddr69
08-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi, my title says it all. I called the dealer with my VIN and they couldn't find it. I need to order new axles and figured this is something I need to know. Thanks

DudeMan
08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
What year is your car?

If its a fifth gen it there will be a large 'brick' on the passenger side of the engine bay with several brake lines leading to it.

I believe fourth gens had the brick under the rear seats.

Sixth gens are probably the same as fifth's.

shreddr69
08-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Sorry, forgot that one "minor" detail. It's an 88.... Thanks

METDeath
08-25-2011, 02:25 AM
If it's running and can drive, take it out, run it up to about 40-50 and SLAM on the brakes, if the pedal starts pulsing you have ABS, if you lock the tires, you don't.

Or you can check what everyone else has listed.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Stop.

T-spoon
08-25-2011, 03:09 AM
But the quickest way is that you should have an ABS dash light with key in ACC, I believe. But yeah, find somewhere to really stomp on the brakes. Course, I suppose you could have ABS and the light is burned out, but I think you'd still see the shape of it there.

alltracman78
08-25-2011, 03:28 AM
If you're able to replace an axle you should be able to do this.

Pull off one of the wheels.
Look in the knuckle [behind the rotor] for a sensor bolted to the knuckle. If there's a sensor the car has ABS.
If it does have ABS it will also have a wire running from the sensor up the strut and into the car.

I know on the 5th/6th gens if the car doesn't have ABS you can use either axle [Most places only stock ABS axles for that reason].
I don't know if the 4th gens are the same. I think I remember reading the 4th gens aren't, but I'm not positive.

jaydog82
08-25-2011, 04:02 AM
look for the gear on the end of the axle where it goes to the back of the hub.

KoreanJoey
08-25-2011, 05:31 AM
If you're able to replace an axle you should be able to do this.

Pull off one of the wheels.
Look in the knuckle [behind the rotor] for a sensor bolted to the knuckle. If there's a sensor the car has ABS.
If it does have ABS it will also have a wire running from the sensor up the strut and into the car.

I know on the 5th/6th gens if the car doesn't have ABS you can use either axle [Most places only stock ABS axles for that reason].
I don't know if the 4th gens are the same. I think I remember reading the 4th gens aren't, but I'm not positive.

Yes, look for a sensor.

PS: Toyota ABS = the suck.

Maruki-kun
08-25-2011, 05:50 AM
look down. if you see this:

http://www.sixpackabs24.com/images/tighten-lower-abs.jpg

you have abs.

if you see this:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100224100649/uncyclopedia/images/3/3d/Naked-fat-guy.jpg

then you don't.

look behind the wheel on the hub for a wire. if you have one. you do.

I know I'm driving a car with ABS because it'll try to kill me within 2 miles of me driving it.

CollapsedNut
08-25-2011, 11:53 AM
WIN!!