PDA

View Full Version : I think I found ARP Rod Bolts for 5SFE Rods

SMILEYOSO
08-23-2011, 08:41 PM
ok, well ive been looking for ARP rod bolts for a few months for my 5sfe bottom end, contacted ARP, i sent them two of my stock rod bolts as samples, and......... they said they didnt have anything close. i think they just didnt want to take the time to look thru all the different types of bolts that they have.

So.... .well i went to Alamo Autosports yesterday, the guy there was a cool guy, i forgot his name, but he pulled out all the different types of ARP bolts that he had in stock, and found Mitsubishi bolts to be the closest match to the stock ones. they are 2/1,000 ths thinner is what he said, and about 1/8 inch shorter. well the nut goes on a bot more than half way on, but not completely on, its like the nut only holds onto 5 threads from the bolt, and needs about 2-3 more threads to completely hold the way it should.

so, i said, fuck it, ill buy them and sleep on it, if not ill return them or sell them on ebay or craigslist. ahhhh........ well i got in contact with Watt @ watt performance a few minutes ago, and he said he could cnc the rod caps enough for the nut to hold the bolt as it should. so, thats what ill be doing today after work, ill be taking the rods and bolts to him so he can personally take a closer look at what needs to done.

If all this works, ill post up the part number for the Mitsubishi ARP Bolts so yall can benefit from this R&D, since ARP wasnt very helpful, lol.

First want to make sure this works and that Watt can do it.

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
I take it its for stock 5S rods?

Angel

SMILEYOSO
08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
yup, for stock 5s rod. i guess u can call it the cheap way out instead of havin to buy pauter, carillo, crower rods

SMILEYOSO
08-24-2011, 01:12 AM
ughhh, miserably hott outside to be riding my dam R6. ok, i just got back from talking to Watt. Amazingly clean and well organized professional shop. (never have i seen a shop this clean!!!) well, he said he has done many swaps, set several wrold records with the engines that he builds, with that, i know he knows exactly what he is talking about.

the first thing he said to me when i mentioned that ive read on several forum sites that the 5sfe rod bolts are the weak point to the 5s engine: Fuck forum sites, they dont know what the hell they are talking about. they are just ppl that think they know what they are doin, but they dont. so i was like.. uhhhhhhhhh

so... ok, he said to just keep the stock rods and stock bolts if i plan to not see more than 400-450hp and keep the stock rev limit at 6300 RPM, but just to make sure theres enough oil flowing thru to cool down the rods, since heat and not enough oil are the number one thing that destroy the rods and bearings. so, recomendations: 1) high flow oil pump 2) Oil Cooler mounted where air can actually cool down the oil "a bumper opening such as behind the intercooler" 3) custom oil pan to hold more oil. 4) and also avoid using aluminum rod bearings, he said stock OEM Toyota bearings are better and last longer even in boosted applications. Now, if i plan to make over 400HP, he said to only go with Pauter Rods, they are only the best, and the only ones that he has never seen break. every other rod manufacturer has failed his standards and they have broken. so again, he said: ONLY BUY PAUTER RODS IF YOU PLAN FOR YOUR BUILD TO LAST A LONG TIME, ANYTHING ELSE, KABOOM, DIG A HOLE AND BURRY IT. lol

ok. so i trust the guy with what he says for one reason, and that reason is................: ive actually seen him build my boss's '79 Smoky & the Bandit TransAm with 632HP. and thats all motor. stock 403 block. ok, so that kinda blows other race engine builders outta the water. im stikkin with Watt and his word and skills.

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Im sorry I havent been following your build but what are you exactly trying to build?

Angel

SMILEYOSO
08-24-2011, 01:28 AM
ohh, sorry. im building a 5s bottom end with a 3sgte head. yup yup.

Eric Barrera
08-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Stroker 3s

SMILEYOSO
08-24-2011, 02:00 AM
chea buddy. ok, so im almost done getting all my parts together to start to the build. OMFG, i cant wait, but patience is the only answer. ive been without a car since the beginin of december. time to revive my baby from the dead. lol

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-24-2011, 02:25 AM
youre gonna run a stock 5s rod?

Might I ask why you decide to go with that route?

I do have an explanation of why im asking these qestions but just trying to get some info first.

Angel

SMILEYOSO
08-24-2011, 04:55 AM
yes, im going to run stock 5s rods. at the moment, all i really want is to finish my car and get it up and running beofre winter comes around and my daily driver is my r6, and since im tight on money from loosing too many days from work due to having to go to court just to fight speeding tickets myself without a lawyer, jux to end up getting them dismissed. pauter rods are on my to get list. with the 3sgte stroker that im building, im only shooting for high 200 close to 300hp is my goal at stock redline till i get those pauter rods. i dont mind takin the engine out, takin it all apart next year, and rebuilding it better. its just an economical issue at the moment of showing the courts whos got the bigger d*** around here. sorry for the language, but with me getting the tickets dismissed, it opens up opportunities for me to teach the jury that everything is possible and that the courts are just a corrupt way to steal money from us taxpayers, yes, them stealing our money the supposedly legal way. so i get to teach those who want to learn from me, jejeje, and so they come to my house and i teach away..... lol. but not for free ofcourse. i gta make my money back for the hours i miss from work to go to court.

long story short, its just a temporary thing till i can actually afford these rods since theyre not cheap. maybe i should consider suing the courts for wasting my time.

i had court today in rowlett tx, and thursday ive got another court trial in garland, tx. joy of my life...... and next week another in oklahoma. yay me. and i have no points on my drivers license, only a big long rap sheet with every alleged traffic offence and a few dismissed speeding misdemeanors
i jux dont support corruption in law enforcement. they lie thru their teeth and get away with it every time.

lol, sorry for getting off topic here. but thats my short version of my reason for stock 5s rods

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-24-2011, 10:03 PM
so you are building a 5SGTE. With that being said....

Why not get your 5s crank and have the rod journals machined down to accept 3s rods and get some used 3s rods and have them shot peened or get some eagles for like 250-300 new.You will have more rod then what to do with it.Trust me I know.

200-300 at stock 6300 redline sounds doable but the stock 3s redline is 7200.If you cant do 7200 I wouldnt even bother trying to go inot high rpm with the 5s rod at all.

Angel

SMILEYOSO
08-24-2011, 10:24 PM
yea, that. 5sgte.

well, ive got a 5s and a 3s crank, both with their set of rods. if i grind down the 5s crank it would be the same as if i just put the 3s crank in, pretty much de-stroking it. i asked at alamo how much to gring down my 5s crank and he said $600. yet still, i would have to shot peen the 3s rods, he said another $300. there for, i would have already spent more on doing that than buying pauter rods. pauter rods are 849.00 @ https://www.raceeng.com/p-8235-pauter-rodtoyota-5sfe.aspx

Once i get the pauter rods, i expect to raise the redline to 9K-10K. but in the mean time, ill just run it at stock 6300 redline with the stock 5s rods. now, yes i understand the 3s electronics will redline at 7200, but ill use my greddy emanage ultimate to lower it, possibly 6,000 instead of 6,300, just to stay on the safe side and protect the investment till i can get those pauter rods.

Johnny

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-24-2011, 11:03 PM
you wont destroke it because the 2.2 displacement comes from the actual crank and it wont matter if you get the rod journals turned down because you will still have the 91m stroke versus the 86m.But if you put 3s crank then yes you would destroke it.I would ask ATS how much they would charge and if anything you could probably get eagle rods and the crank done for those 600 bucks.

Nothing wrong with the Pauter rods as I have those on my 5SGTE but the reason I reccomended eagles was cause I took those to 812RWHP and they held up.I actually have them on hand as a memory.

9-10k redline? are you planning on road racing the car or something like that? Better make sure to open up the clearances on that motor pretty good and also most 3s heads do not like 9k and above and thats one of the issues you will have.

Angel

Facime
08-24-2011, 11:06 PM
I just wanted to say, this thread made my brain hurt. that is all.

carry on.

SMILEYOSO
08-24-2011, 11:58 PM
yea, uve got a point there with stroke, i was brain dead for a min.

wow, didnt think eagle rods could hold up that much HP. i think ill wait till i can get the real deal, pauter rods, without grinding down the crank. Watt told me that grinding it down, eventho its very little, it still weakens the crank.

Well i plan on keeping it for the track only, weekend warrior. its got a salvage title, totaled twice, and i completely rebuilt her at home.

about the head issues, ill have Watt port it and open it up, change out the valve springs, retainers, OS valves, cams......ect...... well what ever he says it needs, ill let him build it.

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-26-2011, 02:53 AM
I would talk to Aaron or Scott at ATS I'm sure they can get you a better deal on the pauter rods.Tell them I sent you.I would not bother with porting the head. I don't know if you're familiar with dan paramore of DPR and he did a 3s head for a guy in the carolinas and that head made less power then my stock unported head in my mr2.

Angel

SMILEYOSO
08-26-2011, 04:55 PM
really? ok, yea ill talk to ATS about the rods. do you have a project page of ur build?

temperacerguy
08-26-2011, 10:30 PM
I would talk to Aaron or Scott at ATS I'm sure they can get you a better deal on the pauter rods.Tell them I sent you.I would not bother with porting the head. I don't know if you're familiar with dan paramore of DPR and he did a 3s head for a guy in the carolinas and that head made less power then my stock unported head in my mr2.

Angel

I have not been pleased with Dan's work for the past 10 years. 10 years ago, he was considered a GOD with hondas, but his work has been questionable at best. There can be some improvement with the 3S head, but hogging it out will just kill power. I've had good results with gasket matching the ports, then sending it to extrude hone to clean up, then clean up the valve guides.

T-spoon
08-27-2011, 12:08 AM
KABOOM!

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-28-2011, 03:18 AM
I have not been pleased with Dan's work for the past 10 years. 10 years ago, he was considered a GOD with hondas, but his work has been questionable at best. There can be some improvement with the 3S head, but hogging it out will just kill power. I've had good results with gasket matching the ports, then sending it to extrude hone to clean up, then clean up the valve guides.

Yep gasket match is all I did and I do have a build page simley let me find the link and ill come back.

Angel

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-28-2011, 03:29 AM
Here is the link to thread.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?51257-Some-teaser-pics-of-my-MR&highlight=

I really need to make a project page as this car will undergo one last stage. Where it will receive its 10 point cage and still debating whether I want to do the funny car cage,also its gonna get new paint on the outside and the interior,trunk and engine bay.new ecu,I'm working on making the new engine harness and a couple of other things.

Angel