PDA

View Full Version : Snapped Bolt

Night_Wolf
08-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok, so I was doing the brakes on my friends 95 Impreza and what do you know the bolt on the Caliper bracket is snapped cause it's seized in there, o yay! So I pb-blasted the hell out of it and it still doesn't want to come out, and I really don't want to drill it out because I don't want to fuck any threads up. It's stuck in the bracket but it snapped so about 1-2 cm of the bolt is still remaining exposed. So any advice on how to get the bolt out? Lots of heat and more pb-blast?

klapa
08-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Yea - that would be what I would do - plenty of heat around the spot where it is - and put penetrating oil on it then heat to boil the penetrating oil, but have towel ready to smother small flame-up that may result. Some tapping around the area may help too - to loosen the rust internal to the threads.

Doowstados
08-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Drill a hole through the exposed part and put a piece of steel through it, then use it as a T bar to twist it out. Try to make whatever you end up putting through it fit snugly, that way you won't put uneven pressure inside the slot and you'll minimize the risk of breaking what you have to work with.