PDA

View Full Version : intake Mani

Eric Barrera
08-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Is the rev 1 engine compatible with a rev 2 intake mani?

I need to know quickly. Thanks

Btw 5sfe

4thgenceli
08-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't see why not. If memory serves me right the rev1/rev2 didn't have any intake differences, only knock sensors/etc..

Eric Barrera
08-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Sweet. Thank you :)

jaydog82
08-19-2011, 03:22 AM
they will bolt up to the head, but there are some differences in runner length and overall fitment, if you are using the rev 2 motor-head-valve cover you should use the rev 2 intake manifold. The rev 2 valve cover is higher and will limit your clearance if you use the rev 1 intake manifold.

93celicaconv
08-19-2011, 04:07 AM
they will bolt up to the head, but there are some differences in runner length and overall fitment, if you are using the rev 2 motor-head-valve cover you should use the rev 2 intake manifold. The rev 2 valve cover is higher and will limit your clearance if you use the rev 1 intake manifold.

Hmm. If there are dimensional differences in the valve covers between Rev 1 & Rev 2, then why are the same valve cover gaskets used? I've heard many good results of people putting a Rev 2 engine in a Rev 1 based vehicle, and reusing the Rev 1 bolt-ons (like intake manifolds) w/o problem. The other way around, not quite as good as there is no knock sensor hole tapped into a Rev 1 block to put the Rev 2 knock sensor). But I haven't heard of intake manifolds not crossing heads of differing rev levels, at least not between Rev 1 & Rev 2.

Eric Barrera
08-23-2011, 02:00 AM
So 1 problem. The fuel line that comes from the fuel rail up to the Manifold. Rev 2 Mani doesn't have it. Can I delete the line?

jaydog82
08-23-2011, 04:33 AM
the rev 1 and 2 all bolt up, but there is a difference in the height and spark plug dust boots between the rev 1 and the rev2. you can delete the line, but you will need the cold start injector( that is in the font of the rev 1 manie) if you are using the rev1 electronics.

Eric Barrera
08-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Okay, I'm confused. Let's get the details, I am using a rev 1 5sfe engine and I want to bolt up a rev 2 intake mani.

Now, I understand it will fit but what the hell am I suppose to do with the cold start injector? I don't see a place to put it.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

jaydog82
08-23-2011, 01:17 PM
if you are using the rev 1 electronics you can not use a rev 2 mani. they had a cold start setup built into the regular injectors. if you need to use the rev2 mani then you will need to use the rev2 electronics( ecu, wiring, sensors, ect) and you would need to have a knock sensor installed into the block. the only other way would be to have a colg start injector mount welded unto your rev2 mani- but idk on the price to do that.

93celicaconv
08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Okay, I'm confused. Let's get the details, I am using a rev 1 5sfe engine and I want to bolt up a rev 2 intake mani.

Now, I understand it will fit but what the hell am I suppose to do with the cold start injector? I don't see a place to put it.

You thread is not clear. What I can gather, from reading through all the posts, is that you have a 92-93 Celica (set up for the Rev 2 5S-FE, and you need to replace the engine, and the engine you have to replace it is from a 90-91 Celica (Rev 1 5S-FE). Is this the situation?

If so, you reuse all your Rev 2 bolt-ons, strip your replacement Rev 1 5S-FE down to just the block, head & valve cover, install your Rev 1 5S-FE, and put all your Rev 2 bolt-ons back onto the Rev 1 5S-FE (including your Rev 2 fuel rail and Rev 2 injectors and Rev 2 mani, so there is no cold start injection system to worry about. The Rev 2 92-93 Celica ECU depends upon a knock sensor though, and your Rev 1 5S-FE block does not have a threaded hole to put that knock sensor back in. You will have to drill & tap a blink hole carefully in the Rev 1 5S-FE block in the same location as it is on your Rev 2 5S-FE block to put your original knock sensor into.

Eric Barrera
08-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm screwed. I HAVE a REV 1 5sfe. I WANTED to use a rev 2 mani on my 1991 celica gt.

So I just bought this crap for nothing. Perfect.

jaydog82
08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
sorry man, you could upgrade to rev 2 elc, but thats costly

Facime
08-23-2011, 11:10 PM
being pretty much a 5S noob myself, let me ask this: Why not just run without the CSI? It might make it slightly harder to cold start but you live in CA, that shouldnt be too much of an issue. You should still be able to get the car back together and rolling and can worry about it later if needed. I dont believe a disconnected CSI will even throw a code.

DudeMan
08-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah I just blocked mine off when I switched to the 3SGE manifold.. All you need is a plate for the manifold and a bolt for the fuel rail, problem solved.

Won't cause a CEL.

klapa
08-24-2011, 12:43 AM
^ Both of the above - it is worth a try - and if it works at least you are rolling.

You don't need to totally tuned car right now - you just need a car you can start and move. You can get to the finer points later when you are not under so much pressure to just get it going.

Eric Barrera
08-24-2011, 01:54 AM
I'll try it. Quick question, Blocked egr port, Cel or no?

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-24-2011, 02:33 AM
^ as long as you jump the EGR connector then no.But left unplugged yes.

Angel

Eric Barrera
08-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Got it on

Running a very high fever at the moment. Pics tommorow
sent from my badass phone using tapatalk

Terracar
08-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Basically as it has been said...

The rev1 IM has CSI the Rev2 doesn't so either switch to a Rev2 fuel rail or find a way to block it off. The VC has a height difference between the 2, I don't remember which way it goes though so it may not be an issue. Only other issue is the molded plastic wiring piece that goes across by the t-belt won't mount up properly because of the difference in shape in the VC.

-Terracar