PDA

View Full Version : Do you havive A/C on your Alltrac?

klapa
08-16-2011, 01:54 AM
I was wondering about this as I am about to ream out my wiring harness (badly in need of such) and thought I might remove the vestiges of my A/C system.

My car came with an opened system - the condenser was "in the trunk" and pretty bent up.

With the FMIC I have and the radiator - I really wonder if there is any airflow left for an A/C system - especially considering the underhood temps I might expect with the turbo - I wonder if the thing would stay cool.

Also to consider that the system is already open - so any new A/C system would involve r134a which results in even more underhood heat compared to the old r12 system.

I'd really like to keep the A/C - as it takes away from the daily fun of the car to be so uncomfortable on the many +100F days we have here in NC - but I just don't think that it can do it (A/C, FMIC, Turbo, and stay cool)

Thoughts?

Nitro_Alltrac
08-16-2011, 02:42 AM
Mine is not currently working and I really wish it was with the heat we've had. It has worked in the past but I've got leaks. I'm getting ready to go through and replace all the O-rings. I've found a couple so far that were bad so I'm hoping that will help the problem. Once I've got those replaced, I'll pull a vacuum and see where I'm at.

So to answer your question Klapa, if the electrical parts are still there, I'd leave them and try to put the system back together when you can. AC is always a nice option, especially as you get older (I know you know what I mean).

klapa
08-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Mine is not currently working and I really wish it was with the heat we've had. It has worked in the past but I've got leaks. I'm getting ready to go through and replace all the O-rings. I've found a couple so far that were bad so I'm hoping that will help the problem. Once I've got those replaced, I'll pull a vacuum and see where I'm at.

So to answer your question Klapa, if the electrical parts are still there, I'd leave them and try to put the system back together when you can. AC is always a nice option, especially as you get older (I know you know what I mean).

Yea - well - I can agree with your "wishes" and you have a WTA so maybe a much better chance for your wishes to come true.

I do appreciate your time to repond to this - but, I want to hear from other Alltrac owners with FMIC - do you have good A/C? Do you have A/C at all?

trumanpriest
08-16-2011, 06:36 AM
I have a FMIC, and I removed all the AC components. I don't daily drive the car though. It's what I drive when the weather is nice or I just want to have a little fun. For me, the windows down and the sunroof back is fine.

The Captain
08-16-2011, 02:13 PM
I have the heat exchanger for the WTA system in front of everything. Including the condenser. My A/C works great. I wouldn't even consider removing the a/c.

Siyx
08-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I have A/C in the '4 but it needs to be charged or a leak fixed. I just use my windows and sunroof and i'm pretty good even in the heat.

saved_1992
08-16-2011, 10:12 PM
i drive mine daily and not having ac would suck! i have the tmic

Nitro_Alltrac
08-16-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm like the Captain, I've got the heat exchanger in front of everything and the radiator is still cooling fine even in the 105+ heat we've been having. You'll most likely have to go to the CS bumper and crash bar, but you'd have enough room to run the FMIC and still leave the condensor in place. I think it would work out OK. Now if you leave the stock crash bar, it might be a different story.

DudeMan
08-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I just tore out my entire AC system a few weeks ago.. Comes down to your climate and personal preference.

Originally I was going to keep the components so I could reinstall them if I want but I doubt they will ever make their way back into my car.. Let me know if you need anything.

alltracman78
08-20-2011, 06:20 PM
A couple of bullet points :)

-The condensor sits in front of the radiator, so it's going to take airflow from the radiator, not the other way around. And your FMIC/heat exchanger most likely won't take that much airflow from the radiator/condensor. A lot of air actually flows around most FMIC/HE. So don't worry about the airflow.

-Any extra heat with r134a vs r12 will be negligible. I lived in Jacksonville for 8 years, had 1 ST184 and 2 ST185s, all with r134a. AC worked great, never had any problems. I have a r134a swapped truck here in Ma, it also works great. The only problems I have is the evaporator icing over when it's on too long and the 134 leaking out [I never swapped O rings, and I'm still on the original dryer from 91]. In a Toyota, if you swap over to 134 you should still be able to get at least 39* out of the vents. If your AC isn't working right afterwards there's something wrong with your system.

-Keep the AC. I just sold an AC system to a guy in Tx that pulled his cause he thought he'd never need it. Now he just paid a bunch of extra $$ for not thinking ahead. Even if you don't end up using it right now, leave it in the car. And if you have it, use it. A brand new condensor is ~$100 from Toyota IIRC. Replace all the O rings, expansion valve [there was a recall on those, so if yours hasn't been done Toyota will do it for free] and dryer. With a good compressor you should stay nice and cool.

-FYI, only USDM ECUs will control your AC. JDM ones won't [the AC control is different]. You can wire in your own switch though.

-One last thing; your system holding vacuum doesn't mean it won't leak. A vacuum leak and a pressure leak are 2 different things.

acidice333
08-21-2011, 01:50 AM
People that take out their AC and sell it are crazy!! ..but then again thats just my opinion ;)

Like come on, a 40lb? reduction just to gain a some (but not a lot) HP? -- to me that ain't worth it.. especially when it comes to selling the car cause its a selling point to have AC :)

My first Celica didn't come with AC but I plan to put AC in it one of these days if I can ever find a parts car locally or find someone nearby ditching their AC system. My swapped Celica with the 205, boy that thing is a joy to drive especially WITH AC!! :) :)

Corey Darling
08-22-2011, 07:13 PM
I ditched mine. A/C system is ~37kg including gas. That weight loss, coupled with an RC bumper, means a significant reduction in inertia on the nose of the car. I noticed an improvement in handling after the weight reduction.

Less stuff blocking the engine radiator also.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-22-2011, 07:17 PM
I've been paying for lack of AC. If you live someplace cooler, you can live without it. I honestly think in hot humid climates, you pay for the misery.

grip addict
08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
404 ac not found.

i also don't daily my car. if i did, i would be typing out a different answer.
but i don't. my car is a project. i modded it and built it the way i did because i love cars. i love the sound of the exhaust, the hks ssqv, and especially the turbo whine and spool. when i drive my car in the heat, its with all of the windows down. even in the winter, i think i have the sunroof at least propped up.
i drive for the experience. i drive without ac.

Mafix
08-23-2011, 06:44 PM
there is an option for a/c in these?

sentraman
10-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Still have my ac with a FMIC and RC numper with the jdm bumper supports. Fits perfect and has plenty of clearance. My FMIC measures 23.5x10.5x3.5

klapa
10-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm glad this thread got revived - as I am only some number of weeks away from my "vacation" when I will tear into this engine bay and take some first steps to sort things out.

I was just thinking about this again last weekend.

I think I'll try to leave the A/C piping and all components in there for now. It gets really hot here and sweating in the car sort of takes away from the fun of driving it.

Yet I do need engine bay space - and ripping out my non-functional ABS system is an option too - but that is for another thread.

Thanks all for he replies.

Flying Bajan
10-06-2011, 07:10 PM
I have a/c and big FMIC. On really hot days, the a/c cools the cabin adequately, but not brilliantly, and my car a/c is in tip top condition and gassed with R12 :-)

Terracar
10-07-2011, 05:48 AM
I don't live in a hot climate, but it does get hot and humid here every once in a while. My AC system has a leak somewhere and it won't hold a charge. I haven't gotten it fixed since it is such a pain, but we had a stretch where we were consistently above 80..... I tried driving the car during that time. It was miserable. I am old (not as old as some) and I love my creature comforts.

-Terracar

underscore
10-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I yanked the pump out when I did my downpipe as the gas was long gone, I'm leaving everything else in and I'll wait til next summer to see if I really need it back. My DD doesn't have AC though and I've never cared (but I do miss it sometimes)

klapa
10-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Yea - I'm gonna leave everything in - piping, compressor, etc., and figure maybe with the addition of the new two-core radiator that I can have my cake and eat it too.

I need another idler pulley - mine is squeaky.

The RC front and crash bar came with the car.

BlackTrac88
02-10-2014, 02:25 AM
Good info here

Nitro_Alltrac
02-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Wow! Holy thread revival Batman!