PDA

View Full Version : This could have ended badly

sloceli
08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
On my way home yesterday I was following a typical Seattle driver. They weren't paying attention and didn't read the sign that said left lane exit only except transit and carpools. They freak out and slam on their brakes when they think the lane is exit only. I then had to apply my brakes with a quickness. That didn't work so well the peddle grabbed then went straight to the floor. I had to drive 15+ miles home with no brakes. The e brake came in handy. This is what I found when I pulled my wheel off. I'm just glad this didn't happen on the Ogopogo.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/9/0/imag0127.jpg

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
E-Brake = Emergency Brake.

Glad to see that you're ok. Message to everyone else on here: don't drive without a working e-brake because you never know when your life will depend on it.

Waffles!
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Woof! I'm glad you made it home ok.

grimmythereaper
08-11-2011, 05:21 PM
happy to hear ur safe and agreed e brake save lifes

CriScO
08-11-2011, 07:11 PM
That hose looks very familiar. When I converted my brakes I had a buddy helping, and he did the passenger side. I didn't think to check it because he'd been wrenching his whole life. Well, he routed the braided steel line right next to the crank pulley. Halfway home in the Burger King drive-through the pedal dropped to the floor and smoke started pouring out of the right wheel well. Fortunately, this was at 2am and the BK is less than half a mile from my store, so it was easy to limp her to there. I'm just happy it didn't happen on the freeway, that would have been one hell of an exit.

Lonestag
08-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Wow, glad it ended ok for you man!!!

DudeMan
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Halfway through my trip to BC last week I noticed one of the trailing arm mounts for my rear axle had broken clean off, bending a brake line and shearing it at the same time..

20 bucks and half an hour later we installed a new brake line on the side of the road. Then I met a mechanic in Kelowna who welded up my mount for free.

Luckily it took some time to really open up so I didn't have to use the E brake. Going 100k/h that would be no fun.

pintoBC_3sgte
08-11-2011, 11:38 PM
oh shit! glad your ok.. that could've been really bad.

WALKER
08-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Glad to hear that didn't happen while you were on the meet up here.

KoreanJoey
08-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Scary...

celicaGT90_05
08-12-2011, 01:41 AM
That hose looks very familiar. When I converted my brakes I had a buddy helping, and he did the passenger side. I didn't think to check it because he'd been wrenching his whole life. Well, he routed the braided steel line right next to the crank pulley. Halfway home in the Burger King drive-through the pedal dropped to the floor and smoke started pouring out of the right wheel well. Fortunately, this was at 2am and the BK is less than half a mile from my store, so it was easy to limp her to there. I'm just happy it didn't happen on the freeway, that would have been one hell of an exit.

Sounds like your buddy has creative ways to route brake hoses

Luni
08-12-2011, 02:14 AM
Jeez man. What the fuck kind of shop are you running here Joel? Youre slippin, and youre letting my Celica fall into disrepair. Am I gonna have to come rescue it from you? :p

T-spoon
08-12-2011, 03:12 AM
I say it's a good thing you don't have an auto, manuals give you so much better decel control.

PS. it's only an emergency brake when you have an emergency, the rest of the time it's just a parking brake. :hehe:

Facime
08-12-2011, 03:32 AM
it wasnt me, I was nowhere near Philadelphia at the time of the incident...

kinda scary, glad it ended safely.

Artega
08-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Glad to hear you're ok.
Are you going to be replacing it with another braided line?

sloceli
08-12-2011, 11:35 PM
It didn't scare me as much as you think it would. I've had brake burps before where the pedal went to the floor but it always came back. I guess it happened at the best time and place possible. I've got another set on order should be here on Monday. I installed the current ones in 03 and haven't had a problem until now. I didn't see anything that could have caused it, ill take a closer look on Monday when the new ones get here.

ChrisD
08-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Damn!