PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic pads.......wtf?

celica9303
08-09-2011, 03:41 AM
So I needed new pads and rotors for the vert last summer(like sept) and they stop very well. And I was very happy with them.....fast forward to now, I didn't drive the car all winter cuz I was at ft. Lostinthewoods. Now when ever I press on the brakes they sweak like crazy( plenty of pad left, originally thought it was the wear indicator) should I chalk em up as glazed over from not being driven for 6+ months? Should I take em back? Scuff em with a scotchbrite?

On another note I just replaced my wifes lhs pads with the premium ceramic pads on the front about aweek ago.....I drove it today for the first time since( robyn never tells if she hears strange noises) and theiy are also starting to squeak/squeal..... I bedded the pads on both cars like I was taught when installed

Any one else use ceramics??

celicaGT90_05
08-09-2011, 03:47 AM
that would be very weird if they glazed from sitting, but if I were you i would take them off and scuff them

celica9303
08-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Iy thought the same thing. Gt90.

Another thing to add is they only squeal a slow.speed stops, like rolling up to a stop light

celicaGT90_05
08-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I suggest taking them off, give them a good clean and relube everything. It's possible that where it was sitting the rotors got some rust that when came off collected and is now causing that noise

alltracman78
08-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Clean up the pads, rotors, pad to bracket mount points and anti squeal shims.

Also, not sure how good these pads are, but cheap[er] pads WILL squeal more.
As far as dust/noise OE pads are usually best.

celicaGT90_05
08-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I have ceramic pads on my celica, they produce almost no dust. I put them
on my truck too and the stopping force was a lot better, I like them

grimmythereaper
08-12-2011, 10:14 PM
i was told that ceramic pads squeak until they get heated up, not sure how true that is though