PDA

View Full Version : 3S-GTE swap emissions questions.

Doowstados
08-08-2011, 05:50 AM
More questions about making the swap CARB legal.

1) If I buy a JDM front clip, can I use a USDM ECU and USDM head in order to install the EGR? Or is the block itself different?

2) Assuming the above works: does the wiring harness need to be modified differently to make it work? I want a functioning EGR system. I don't particularly want to spend a ton of time and money on a project just for it to go to a BAR referee and be turned down.

2) If I can't do this: If I source a USDM ECU, engine, and wiring harness, what else do I need? There have got to be several sensors etc missing from the equation here as well as things like the radiator, coolant reservoir, power steering reservoir, etc?

temperacerguy
08-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Just off the top of my head:

USDM ecu
primary and 2ndary Cats, exhaust system
US wiring harness
US evap canister
US EGR valve/sensor/VSV
US 4 wire O2 sensor
US intake manifold
US head
vacuum/emissions system sticker for hood.

Doowstados
08-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Just off the top of my head:

USDM ecu
primary and 2ndary Cats, exhaust system
US wiring harness
US evap canister
US EGR valve/sensor/VSV
US 4 wire O2 sensor
US intake manifold
US head
vacuum/emissions system sticker for hood.

But the head will mount to the block properly and the EGR will function?

temperacerguy
08-09-2011, 12:12 AM
the block has nothing to do with the EGR system, so yes, the blocks are interchangable.

zen
08-09-2011, 01:34 AM
head needs to be tapped for egr valve unless a usdm heAd is found. same with the intake manifold. egr valve, usdm ecu, charcole evap canister, egr vsv

alltracman78
08-09-2011, 03:47 AM
A JDM harness is going to be missing the EGR connections [if you want to technically be CARB legal].
You have 2. One for the EGR valve, the other for the EGR temp sensor.

If you get a USDM engine setup you should have everything you need on it except for the exhaust. Canister [should] be the same.

You won't need either reservior, your cars [GT] are the same. Your radiator is thinner, wouldn't hurt to upgrade that [just buy a GTS auto one].

Eric Barrera
08-09-2011, 07:53 PM
You do know there are ways of getting around the "system" right?

joe's gt
08-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Most shops will not know about the difference in the evap canister. Same goes for the O2 sensor. Unless the O2 sensor is throwing a code, most likely they will look past it. The EGR is where your problem lies since most shops do at least a visual check and some do a functionality check. The nice thing about JDM is that the clips are readily available and the ecu provides 25 hp more. However, you will need a US head and intake manifold if going this route for the EGR. Then you will have to plumb up the vacuum lines for the egr valve, vacuum modulator, and vsv. All you have to do now is run a 12v source to the vsv for when the engine is running and the vacuum modulator will control the rest. Your EGR will now pass the functionality test. The only functionality you lose is the temperature dependency of the VSV which was previously controlled by the ECU, which you can compensate for by making the 12v source manual switched or even timer controlled by waiting to switch it on till the engine is warmed up.

Honestly tho, the easier way would be to just get an alltrac, an alltrac engine, or why not a rwd turbo mr2? You can gain the 25 hp back relatively easily and the EGR hassle is not worth it. Trust me, I've been through all the beaurocratic BAR bullsh*t and its not worth it. I was a lucky one. To this day I don't have a functioning EGR system on my car, but I was lucky and able to pass with a fake system and get certified as a legal swap and now have a shop that is willing to pass me without it because my smog numbers are very clean and I have been going to them for years. Just get an engine that is already legal here and be done with it.

Eric Barrera
08-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Or find a shop that will do it under the radar. Most of them out here will charge around 200 to "pass". Well worth it if its that, or getting another head.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

Doowstados
08-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Or find a shop that will do it under the radar. Most of them out here will charge around 200 to "pass". Well worth it if its that, or getting another head.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

I want it to be 100% legal because even if you have a shop that will do it under a radar, they may not always be around.

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'm hunting down an alltrac/USDM engine...

T-spoon
08-14-2011, 05:41 AM
You could also do a different swap. There are engines that are a lot easier to source that would already be CARB legal than a USDM 3sgte. Obviously if you're set on the 3s, then that info has been gone over, but if you were open to other options, the 1MZ for instance.

Doowstados
08-14-2011, 06:18 PM
You could also do a different swap. There are engines that are a lot easier to source that would already be CARB legal than a USDM 3sgte. Obviously if you're set on the 3s, then that info has been gone over, but if you were open to other options, the 1MZ for instance.

The 1MZ is carb legal? I thought the engine had to have been offered in your car originally?

4thgenceli
08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
I think in Cali the rule is if the engine was in available in your car, you can swap it.

Myself, I have a lovely way to get past emissions :) Register the vehicle at an address that does not require emissions.

klapa
08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
^This.

Ever wonder why you see so many out of state tags in CA? I drove there for two years that way. The cops really don't seem to care.

T-spoon
08-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Well, as far as the "had to have been offered in the car" I don't see how the 3SGTE qualifies either, since it was never offered in a FWD Celica in the US. I have no idea how they interpret those laws though.

Doowstados
08-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Well, as far as the "had to have been offered in the car" I don't see how the 3SGTE qualifies either, since it was never offered in a FWD Celica in the US. I have no idea how they interpret those laws though.

It just needs to have been offered in a Celica of the same generation with the same or a later year than my car. The trim or drivetrain doesn't matter.